+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lonely Canadian Program clarification

GurinJaw

Jan 6, 2020
Hey everyone! I just wanted to get better clarification concerning the following condition in the Lonely Canadian Program:

Other relative
You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age, if you meet all of these conditions:

• you (the person who wants to sponsor your relative) don't have a living relative you could sponsor instead, such as a:
    • spouse
    • common-law partner
    • conjugal partner
    • son or daughter
    • parent
    • grandparent
    • orphaned brother or sister
    • orphaned nephew or niece
    • orphaned grandchild
  • you (the potential sponsor) don’t have any relatives (aunt or uncle or any of the relatives listed above), who is a:
    • Canadian citizen
    • permanent resident
    • registered Indian under the Indian Act

I don't have any relatives who are Canadian/have PR, and I don't have a spouse or any children.
However, both my parents are alive, and I have two younger siblings. (outside of Canada).
Would I be eligible to sponsor both my parents if all of their parents (my grandparents) are deceased? Or can I only sponsor one of them if the other is deceased?
Thank you so much for your time!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey everyone! I just wanted to get better clarification concerning the following condition in the Lonely Canadian Program:

Other relative
You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age, if you meet all of these conditions:

• you (the person who wants to sponsor your relative) don't have a living relative you could sponsor instead, such as a:
    • spouse
    • common-law partner
    • conjugal partner
    • son or daughter
    • parent
    • grandparent
    • orphaned brother or sister
    • orphaned nephew or niece
    • orphaned grandchild
  • you (the potential sponsor) don’t have any relatives (aunt or uncle or any of the relatives listed above), who is a:
    • Canadian citizen
    • permanent resident
    • registered Indian under the Indian Act

I don't have any relatives who are Canadian/have PR, and I don't have a spouse or any children.
However, both my parents are alive, and I have two younger siblings. (outside of Canada).
Would I be eligible to sponsor both my parents if all of their parents (my grandparents) are deceased? Or can I only sponsor one of them if the other is deceased?
Thank you so much for your time!
You can sponsor both of your parents. But not through the lonely Canadian program. You would need to sponsor them through the PGP program.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My understanding is you could only sponsor your parents under the parents and grandparents program.

Reactions: YVR123 and GurinJaw

GurinJaw

Jan 6, 2020
You can sponsor both of your parents. But not through the lonely Canadian program. You would need to sponsor them through the PGP program.
Ohh I see. Even though the interest form didn't open in years? Thanks for the clarification though!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ohh I see. Even though the interest form didn't open in years? Thanks for the clarification though!
Yes, correct. You cannot sponsor them through the lonely Canadian program. You need to wait for the PGP program to reopen.

Reactions: GurinJaw

GurinJaw

Jan 6, 2020
Yes, correct. You cannot sponsor them through the lonely Canadian program. You need to wait for the PGP program to reopen.
Understood, thank you so much for the clarification! Also out of curiousity if you don't mind me asking; if only one of the two parents is alive, is it still the same rule?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Understood, thank you so much for the clarification! Also out of curiousity if you don't mind me asking; if only one of the two parents is alive, is it still the same rule?
Doesn't matter. You have to sponsor your parents through the PGP program. Lonely Canadian program is not an option for parent sponsorship.

Reactions: GurinJaw

IP07

Jun 29, 2024
What if he choses to sponsor his brother? Still the same? There is no specific program for siblings and he is lonely canadian.

GurinJaw

Jan 6, 2020
What if he choses to sponsor his brother? Still the same? There is no specific program for siblings and he is lonely canadian.
I am assuming that all my parents + grandparents have to be deceased to be able to do so? Correct me if I'm wrong.

IP07

Jun 29, 2024
A friend of mine (Canadian citizen) is paralyzed and unmarried with no other family members in Canada. His parents and siblings are in another country. Can he sponsor his brother as lonely canadian? As he really is lonely living in a apartment all by himself and struggling with his disability.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He cannot sponsor his brother at this time since at least one parent is still alive. Both parents would need to be deceased. If both parents are deceased, then he can sponsor one sibling through the lonely Canadian program.

Reactions: IP07 and YVR123

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
A friend of mine (Canadian citizen) is paralyzed and unmarried with no other family members in Canada. His parents and siblings are in another country. Can he sponsor his brother as lonely canadian? As he really is lonely living in a apartment all by himself and struggling with his disability.
No, he cannot sponsor his brother since his parents are still alive. Both parents would need to be deceased in order for him to qualify to sponsor his brother. Note that he must also meet income requirements.

Reactions: IP07

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am assuming that all my parents + grandparents have to be deceased to be able to do so? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Correct.