+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Let's share timeline, PGWP March applicant

mets15

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
needPermit said:
Contact Michel Rempel's office (google their #). They helped me and some other guys on this forum, and we all got our permit within 10 days of asking them.

Here's my updated timeline

needPermit
Applied: May 15th
Blank Updates: Every month on the 14th
PGWP Approval: November 13th
Mail Delivery: November 18th

Applied for TRV: November 18th
Request for passport: Not yet
Approval: Not yet

Cheers,
needPermit
Well it depends. They couldn't help me because if I'm not in their riding, CIC won't give them my info.. they were super nice about it though. My MP is Deepak Obhrai and I was told I am getting my approval this week, but I still don't have anything. They say they cannot push, but you're right, Rempel's office said they could push, guess it depends how helpful they want to be. Too bad they can't help me.

mets15

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
lokia1021 said:
north york area in toronto

and finally I found some mp near the area but their secretary said there is nothing they can do for it because of the election the mp doesn't set up his/her new office right now, basically you can say he/she is not working till December.
yeah that's what they will say but call another MP in your area and say that yours is new and hasn't set up his office, but you really need help, can you help me or direct me to an MP that is responsible for my riding at the moment.

That is what people in this forum did in Calgary and found that Michelle Rempel's office is helping nearby areas as well.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
YQ said:
Hi Jubear! Thanks alot for your response. I have not got approval yet :( I checked about my area's MP at Govt of Canada's website but there was no email address to contact MP. Is there anyone from Calgary who can help me get in touch with MP. I am out of canada so can't call CIC. Have sent a message to CIC twice throught CSE but no response. I am a May 15th applicant and Have been waiting for 6 months :(
Hello YQ,

I suggest you link up/liaise with Lokia1021, Mets15, & Needpermit or anyone else from Calgary to see how they can help. I'm sure there are wonderful Members on the forum ready to help and point you in the right direction with good info.

Cheers!

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Stacey_K,

Good job and a great start on the timelines. Keep it up.

To the rest of you guys; keep up the fight, don't give up, and please continue helping one another on this wonderful forum. This forum gives us all a sense of understanding and belonging, as well as a platform to fight for our survival and the right to have a PGWP.

Cheers!

Slimteddy

Oct 26, 2015
hey guys,
So IMMA gonna update my timeline.

Applied: May 15th. (Paid $155)
Blank update: Aug 24th.
Request fot $100: Nov 5th.
Approved: Nov 18th.

Finally got my PGWP approval after 6 months and 3 days. I gotta say it' been one hell of a waiting for me.
This forum and all the members give me hope and help me stay strong during this waiting. Jubear I really appreciate your good work.
Looks like more and more May June applicants getting approval these days which is good.
I am sure yours are just around the corner. SO stay positive.

nrkamath

Aug 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Guys

Applied: May 6th, 2015
Blank Updates: June 25, June 31
Request for $100: August 21st
Approval: October 31st, 2015
Mail Delivery: November 6th, 2015 (6 months wait)

Submitted application for TRV: November 9th, 2015
Blank Updates: November 11
Request for Passport: November 16th (1 week after application submitted!!)
Passport Sent: November 16th (Using 2 pre-paid Xpress Paid envelopes from Canada Post) (from Calgary to Ottawa)
Passport Received: November 17th (at 12 noon)
Approval: November 19th
Passport Sent from Ottawa: Not Yet
Mail Delivery: Not Yet

The TRV process was INSANELY faster compared to my wait for the PGWP.

kristianvassilev

Jan 5, 2015
Applied: May 5th, 2015
Blank Updates: Aug 15, October 30
Request for $100: August 20th
Approval: November 18th, 2015 (198 days)

Problem: My passport expires on January 18, 2016. So my permit will be valid just a month or so :eek: :-X
I don't know what to do. My wife has been waiting back home for almost 7 months to come. And now I have to go through the same process AGAIN.

No one ever told me PGWP is only valid until your passport expires. I knew that's true for a TRV, but not for PGWP.

For the last 2 days I've been trying to find where do CIC say that... Couldn't find it. There were no warnings when I was applying. I guess they really want another $255 from me and I need to wait for 6 more months probably.. CIC has made it clear Canada doesn't want me. I can't be separated from my wife any more. We've been married for 7 months. 6 and a half away from each other. It's become nerve wracking.

And I can't even send her an invitation letter to come as tourist. And I can't even leave the country, or else I won't be allowed back.

I wrote to the prime minister, to the minister of immigration, to my MP.. Nobody even bothered to reply to me. I have a consultation with a $300/hr immigration lawyer tomorrow.. I've lost hope...

mets15

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
kristianvassilev said:
Applied: May 5th, 2015
Blank Updates: Aug 15, October 30
Request for $100: August 20th
Approval: November 18th, 2015 (198 days)

Problem: My passport expires on January 18, 2016. So my permit will be valid just a month or so :eek: :-X
I don't know what to do. My wife has been waiting back home for almost 7 months to come. And now I have to go through the same process AGAIN.

No one ever told me PGWP is only valid until your passport expires. I knew that's true for a TRV, but not for PGWP.

For the last 2 days I've been trying to find where do CIC say that... Couldn't find it. There were no warnings when I was applying. I guess they really want another $255 from me and I need to wait for 6 more months probably.. CIC has made it clear Canada doesn't want me. I can't be separated from my wife any more. We've been married for 7 months. 6 and a half away from each other. It's become nerve wracking.

And I can't even send her an invitation letter to come as tourist. And I can't even leave the country, or else I won't be allowed back.

I wrote to the prime minister, to the minister of immigration, to my MP.. Nobody even bothered to reply to me. I have a consultation with a $300/hr immigration lawyer tomorrow.. I've lost hope...
Hey there,

Yeah it's only valid till your passport. Before I applied for my PGWP, I looked online about it, it does say it somewhere on CIC and I also called the call center because my passport expires in December 2016 but I'm supposed to get a 3 year work permit and I will have to renew it once I renew my passport. But they will not grant it to you past the date. Best thing you can do is immediately renew your passport (hopefully your country issues it in less than 6 weeks) and apply for extension ASAP.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kristianvassilev said:
KristianVassilev,

CIC clearly states that no permit/TRV can exceed the validity of one's passport. The diligence and responsibility is on us to make sure that the expiry date of our passports is longer than the expected expiry date of a TRV/permit.

See Guides 5551, 5552, & 5553 for further info: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5551ETOC.asp. Scroll to determining eligibility and you will see a note there. For a quick view on other guides; go to the website address and change the number 555* accordingly.

While you wait, you could ask your wife to help you renew your passport back home. This means that if you acquire it quickly, you may be able to contact CIC before they process your PGWP. Even if CIC processes the PGWP before your new passport arrives, you can reapply quickly once the passport arrives. In other words you won't have to wait that much longer. That also means that your wife's passport should also be renewed in case its validity is running out. If your country gives 10 years passport validity, the better. It makes it easier for PR.

Therefore, do whatever you can. If I were you, I would spend my $300 wisely on acquiring a new passport now than waiting. Sometimes immigration lawyers can't bypass even a simple law like that one no matter how good they are. Its quite straight forward: "The validity of your temporary resident status cannot exceed the validity of your passport." The $300 will be easy money for the lawyer, but deep down they know that they can't really help you. So avoid the added frustration from a lawyer; it could be more painful.

All the best and don't give up.

Cheers!

nuendo

Oct 15, 2015
Hi All,

Please, does anyone have an idea about the change of address option and whether you can do it via a direct call to CIC or we have to go through the CSE option. I am a bit concerned because I have on queue for the Mp of my new address and going by what a member just said, I hope CIC doesn't refuse his help because of the different mailing address.

Any insights about this??

June 10 Applicant here.

becky2635

Nov 19, 2015
Hello everyone,

I applied for the PGWP Oct. 6, and my study permit and SIN expire on Nov. 30. I understand that I should be able to continue working (my supervisors are paying me to write up manuscripts), until my PGWP gets approved and after my study permit expires, under "implied status". I called CIC to verify this, and ask about whether I can work with an expired SIN, and they said that I would need to renew my SIN and contact Service Canada about whether that's possible with an expired study permit.

So, I figured I would just ask here:
Does anyone know if Service Canada will renew your SIN after your study permit is expired? And if not, how else do people work under "implied status"?

I would appreciate any insight that could be provided here. Thanks!

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
becky2635 said:
Hello everyone,

I applied for the PGWP Oct. 6, and my study permit and SIN expire on Nov. 30. I understand that I should be able to continue working (my supervisors are paying me to write up manuscripts), until my PGWP gets approved and after my study permit expires, under "implied status". I called CIC to verify this, and ask about whether I can work with an expired SIN, and they said that I would need to renew my SIN and contact Service Canada about whether that's possible with an expired study permit.

So, I figured I would just ask here:
Does anyone know if Service Canada will renew your SIN after your study permit is expired? And if not, how else do people work under "implied status"?

I would appreciate any insight that could be provided here. Thanks!
Becky2635,

Service Canada allows you to continue using the same SIN (as per the rules of implied status) and on the condition that you also continue working for the same employer. Once you get your PGWP, then you can officially renew your SIN. http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/employers/expiry.shtml.

Cheers!

kristianvassilev

Jan 5, 2015
jubear said:
KristianVassilev,

CIC clearly states that no permit/TRV can exceed the validity of one's passport. The diligence and responsibility is on us to make sure that the expiry date of our passports is longer than the expected expiry date of a TRV/permit.

See Guides 5551, 5552, & 5553 for further info: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5551ETOC.asp. Scroll to determining eligibility and you will see a note there. For a quick view on other guides; go to the website address and change the number 555* accordingly.

While you wait, you could ask your wife to help you renew your passport back home. This means that if you acquire it quickly, you may be able to contact CIC before they process your PGWP. Even if CIC processes the PGWP before your new passport arrives, you can reapply quickly once the passport arrives. In other words you won't have to wait that much longer. That also means that your wife's passport should also be renewed in case its validity is running out. If your country gives 10 years passport validity, the better. It makes it easier for PR.

Therefore, do whatever you can. If I were you, I would spend my $300 wisely on acquiring a new passport now than waiting. Sometimes immigration lawyers can't bypass even a simple law like that one no matter how good they are. Its quite straight forward: "The validity of your temporary resident status cannot exceed the validity of your passport." The $300 will be easy money for the lawyer, but deep down they know that they can't really help you. So avoid the added frustration from a lawyer; it could be more painful.

All the best and don't give up.

Cheers!
I spoke too soon and out of frustration. I stand corrected.
Now I know if we aren't together it's pretty much my fault. :-X

Thank you for the info. I will re-apply for PGWP as soon as I get my new passport. Do I apply for extension or just the same way I did originally?

I wonder if I can apply for it and leave the country... My brother will receive it and send it to me overseas. Then I will come back?
I don't know.. I'm just tired of the situation.

Thank you.

jjuni91

Nov 16, 2015
My timeline:

Applied at June 1, 2015
Blank updates: August 13, August 19, 2015
Approved: November 19, 2015

Waiting for the mail to arrive.

Many of May and June applications seems to be getting approval at this time.

Good luck to you all.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kristianvassilev said:
I spoke too soon and out of frustration. I stand corrected.
Now I know if we aren't together it's pretty much my fault. :-X

Thank you.
KristianVassilev,

I can understand the frustration. I'm sure your wife also understands. These situations are for the most part beyond our control.

Thank you for the info. I will re-apply for PGWP as soon as I get my new passport. Do I apply for extension or just the same way I did originally?
You will apply to extend your PGWP the same way as you did originally. Furthermore, you will include a copy of your old PGWP plus a copy of both your old and new passport. Then you will have to include an explanation letter stating the reason for applying again. In your case the reason will be that, 'your PGWP was issued only up to the date the passport was expiring.' The PGWP you get before you renew will state that:

"Work permit issued to passport expiry; must be renewed for further extension of post graduate work permit."

I wonder if I can apply for it and leave the country... My brother will receive it and send it to me overseas. Then I will come back?
I don't know.. I'm just tired of the situation.
Yes, you can apply and leave the country if you wish. However, you must apply using the new passport and the old PGWP that you want to extend. So you are in a bit of a dilemma because 1) you haven't received the PGWP that you want to extend and 2) your passport expires on January 18th (precisely 2 months from now). I have a feeling that you are not visa exempt either, meaning you need a TRV before you travel.

For now you and your wife need to formulate a strategy to ensure that you renew the passport starting tomorrow. As she helps with that, you can hunt down your MP and talk to him/her in person about your situation. I usually say that emailing politicians is never enough. They can easily discard the email or forget about it. So locate your MP no matter where he/she is. It should not matter either whether he/she has an office or not. Obviously your MP must be somewhere.

Don't give up on you, your wife, nor your future plans. Stay positive; its just a matter of time and things will work out. Good luck.

Cheers!