Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
yy1gc said:
Hello Amikety
Could you please guide me which part of calgary or say edmonton(if you know about that place)has more engineering jobs as i am a mechanical engineer and would be coming with my family that is my wife and two little kids in march.
I don't know as much about Edmonton.

I think both have plenty of engineering jobs. I did a search on Wow Jobs (www.wowjobs.ca). Calgary has more overall - but Calgary is also a bigger city. I would say it's about even in relation to city size.

Edmonton is 4 hours north, so it is colder up there. I have read stories that Edmonton has trouble keeping workers because of the cold. This might lead to better pay or benefits - but that's something you would have to investigate with the company.

teejay

Aug 25, 2012
NIGERIA
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2010
Doc's Request.
13-07-2010
Nomination.....
02-2012
AOR Received.
02-2012
IELTS Request
03-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Request
15-08-2012
Med's Done....
18-08-2012
Interview........
SKIPPED
Passport Req..
09-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
18-02-2013
LANDED..........
soon
My people, good day all,
Please a principal applicant that is travelling first while other family members join later, is suppossed to travel with the POF of his and that of the entire family.............................is this assertion correct?

Please I need your guidance.

thanks

yy1gc

Nov 2, 2012
Yes, the principal applicant whether he is landing alone or with his family has to show the POF for all the family members including him.

yy1gc

Nov 2, 2012
amikety said:
I don't know as much about Edmonton.

I think both have plenty of engineering jobs. I did a search on Wow Jobs (www.wowjobs.ca). Calgary has more overall - but Calgary is also a bigger city. I would say it's about even in relation to city size.

Edmonton is 4 hours north, so it is colder up there. I have read stories that Edmonton has trouble keeping workers because of the cold. This might lead to better pay or benefits - but that's something you would have to investigate with the company.
Thanks for your reply Amikety. Cold is the biggest concern for me as well mainly because of the two little kids that i have. But your other thought about the benefits which might be offered by the employer is also worth giving a thought. I am trying to apply for jobs both in calgary and edmonton, from here itself means new delhi. Let's see if some company responds.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
yy1gc said:
Thanks for your reply Amikety. Cold is the biggest concern for me as well mainly because of the two little kids that i have. But your other thought about the benefits which might be offered by the employer is also worth giving a thought. I am trying to apply for jobs both in calgary and edmonton, from here itself means new delhi. Let's see if some company responds.
I don't know how interviewing goes in India, but in Canada, benefits are discussed after/during the job offer. Some Hiring Managers will offer the information to you, but it's impolite for you to bring it up. It looks like you care more about the benefits than actually doing the job. So if the manager tells you, then you can ask questions, but don't ask about it until they offer a job. Usually, a company will offer the job with a letter and benefit package already written up. Then you can review it and ask for any changes (for benefits and pay).

I would strongly recommend getting some Canadian accredition as soon as you can. This will show employers you're familiar with Canadian standards. It doesn't matter if they're identical to your standards already. The Hiring Managers know nothing about standards in India - only what they need in Canada. It's their job to find someone that fits their standards and your job to present yourself as a good candidate that meets their needs.

I have offered to review resumes and cover letters in the past (although I can't write a cover letter to save my life. Apparently "I'm awesome. Hire me." isn't a good cover letter.... :p) Now that I'm in university, I have less time but I can still make an attempt if you need help. I'm not a resume expert, but I do write my own resumes successfully and I'm excellent with grammar, spelling, etc. (Although you might get an American spelling instead of Canadian!)

kur761

Feb 24, 2010
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
PILLOT OTTAWA
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-09-2007
Doc's Request.
11-03-2010
AOR Received.
22-10-2007
IELTS Request
11-03-2010
File Transfer...
11-03-2010
Med's Request
14-07-2011
Med's Done....
19-07-2011 & CHC London office rvd. on 25-07-2011
Interview........
Waive
Passport Req..
PPR RVD ON 08-03-2012 PPs. SENT 12/03/12 CHC RVD 13/03/2012
VISA ISSUED...
Status has been changed to "DM" & Canadian address has also been updated.
LANDED..........
11-06-2012
Hi all,

I M planning to come to Calgary this time as I landed last June,12 in GTA because of better job opportunities than GTA. I wanna ask you how many letter do I need to bring with me from my current employer for Canadian employer(s) like reference letter,job description and any other letter?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

Secondly do I need to take the "transfer certificate (TC)" from my child existing school in order to get admission in Canada?Huh??

Waiting for your advices...............

Regards,

KASHIF FROM DUBAI

Sleek Ricky

Nov 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2009
Doc's Request.
09-02-2010
Med's Request
22-03-2012
Med's Done....
6-05-2012
Passport Req..
20-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2012
LANDED..........
1st April 2013
Please any help to my question?

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone please help with this?
This issue about getting your home country immunization record of your children(under 16) signed by a medical doctor before they will be admitted into any school is it strictly enforced? Calgary as a case in point.
[/color]

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Sleek Ricky said:
Please any help to my question?

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone please help with this?
This issue about getting your home country immunization record of your children(under 16) signed by a medical doctor before they will be admitted into any school is it strictly enforced? Calgary as a case in point.
[/color]
It depends on the school. Some will only take children that have their shots. Some will take children without.

That being said, I would get the record. I don't want my children exposed to kids that could develop measles or smallpox. Ever.

Sleek Ricky

Nov 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2009
Doc's Request.
09-02-2010
Med's Request
22-03-2012
Med's Done....
6-05-2012
Passport Req..
20-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2012
LANDED..........
1st April 2013
amikety said:
It depends on the school. Some will only take children that have their shots. Some will take children without.

That being said, I would get the record. I don't want my children exposed to kids that could develop measles or smallpox. Ever.
Thank you, Amikety. Appreciated. Yes, i suppose it is better to get the records signed so as not to limit their choice of schools. They have all the needed shots up to date.

yy1gc

Nov 2, 2012
amikety said:
I don't know how interviewing goes in India, but in Canada, benefits are discussed after/during the job offer. Some Hiring Managers will offer the information to you, but it's impolite for you to bring it up. It looks like you care more about the benefits than actually doing the job. So if the manager tells you, then you can ask questions, but don't ask about it until they offer a job. Usually, a company will offer the job with a letter and benefit package already written up. Then you can review it and ask for any changes (for benefits and pay).

I would strongly recommend getting some Canadian accredition as soon as you can. This will show employers you're familiar with Canadian standards. It doesn't matter if they're identical to your standards already. The Hiring Managers know nothing about standards in India - only what they need in Canada. It's their job to find someone that fits their standards and your job to present yourself as a good candidate that meets their needs.

I have offered to review resumes and cover letters in the past (although I can't write a cover letter to save my life. Apparently "I'm awesome. Hire me." isn't a good cover letter.... :p) Now that I'm in university, I have less time but I can still make an attempt if you need help. I'm not a resume expert, but I do write my own resumes successfully and I'm excellent with grammar, spelling, etc. (Although you might get an American spelling instead of Canadian!)

In the first place thanks for your reply and the help offered. You recommended getting some Canadian accredition, so can you kindly shed some light upon how to get this done. I would do so for sure. As far as my resume goes i would share it with you if you could give me an email to send it across to you or some other means to do so as per your comfort.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yy1gc said:
In the first place thanks for your reply and the help offered. You recommended getting some Canadian accredition, so can you kindly shed some light upon how to get this done. I would do so for sure. As far as my resume goes i would share it with you if you could give me an email to send it across to you or some other means to do so as per your comfort.
Have you read this website yet?

http://www.credentials.gc.ca/

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
I just got home from the library and this was on the back of my check out slip:

Download free English lessons at www.breakthewall.alberta.ca

I didn't check it out, but if the library is advertising it, it can't be all bad.

Dec 9, 2009
Dear amikety you are giving useful information to the readers of this forum. I really appreciate for your efforts and also taking out your precious time

for helping the newcomers, keep it up. I am moving to Calgary from GTA early next month please give some advice to get good accommodation in NE

and also give some sites or links to apply for jobs in Calgary before moving.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Thanks! I'm using my phone right now. When I get in my computer, I'll get you some links. They're a pain in the rear on the phone. :)

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
21685 said:
Dear amikety you are giving useful information to the readers of this forum. I really appreciate for your efforts and also taking out your precious time

for helping the newcomers, keep it up. I am moving to Calgary from GTA early next month please give some advice to get good accommodation in NE

and also give some sites or links to apply for jobs in Calgary before moving.
How much you want to spend will determine 'good' accommodation in the NE. For $700-$1000, you can find a basement apartment, sometimes with utilities included. Usually 2 bedrooms, sometimes 1 or 3. Having only 1 doesn't seem to significantly reduce the price. If you're hoping for apartment/condo/upper floor, expect to spent closer to $1200-$1500 for an average neighborhood. Near my house, there is a one bedroom apartment in a low rise building renting for $1195/month not including utilities and the laundry is shared with the whole building (gross).

www.rentfaster.ca
www.kijiji.ca

Just my opinion, but Kijiji seems to have better deals. Rent Faster has a lot of building management companies and they're expensive. I found my apartment on Kijiji. But remember, don't give anyone a ton of money upfront. It's usually a good idea to find a hotel for the few days first.

Jobs:

Here are some websites you can check out (which you may already know).
www.monster.ca
http://www.workopolis.com/EN/Common/HomePage.aspx
http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/Intro-eng.aspx
http://www.now-hiring.ca/
http://www.calgaryjobs.com/ (local to Calgary and Edmonton)
http://www.calgary.ca/CS/HR/Pages/Careers/Career-Opportunities.aspx (City of Calgary)

Another thing to do is identify companies you want to work for. I have never gotten hired by applying at a job website. I've always narrowed down which companies I like and apply for jobs there directly. Sometimes they aren't hiring - but they will hold on to a resume for a few months at least. So lets say you're an experienced banker. Go directly to RBC, CIBC, BMO, etc website and apply there. (I've already identified my first stops when I finally get my PR visa - I even have a plan! Basically, I know who I will apply to first and go on from there.) If the company allows you to go in person, it's worth a shot, but many don't. (One of mine only accepts resumes in person, which is so outdated! But I like it.)

Also, when you're using these job websites, keep in mind some companies post to multiple sites. It may help to write down or print out which jobs you've already applied for. That way you don't apply on three different websites. It confuses the HR manager and makes you look deseparate. We don't want that. We want to look confident and competent.

If Alberta has any certifications or licenses for your program, it may be worthwhile to get one. I would research the internet before I plop money down to see if it's worth it. I'll use myself as an example :p My degree is from the USA - which is basically treated the same in Canada as the USA but the laws are different in Canada. In order to show I'm competent with laws in Canada, I'll need to either get my Master's in Canada, get a second degree in Canada, or get a certification. I haven't decided yet (because I haven't decided my Master's concentration) but it'll be either a Canadian Master's or a certificate.