EMO

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-02-2013
Hello.All. I will suggest that we mute the repeated response to a slip from our brother. he is probably busy job hunting and therefore has no time no time to take down his comment. I have a feeling he will correct the slip when he is set. Thanks

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I will first introduce myself. I migrated to Canada in 1997 to join my mother who was a permanent resident of Canada. I am currently a PhD Nursing student at a prestigious university in Canada. I have my masters and bachelors in Canada. My research is on internationally educated nurses. I am a interprofessional educator (e.g. I teach nurses, doctors, dietitians, pharmacist and other health professional). My husband joined me in Canada in november 2010. He is a doctor from Nigeria.

I find it very shocking and a huge surprise that fernandez is being attacked (for lack of a better word). From may experience and also educational background, Fernandez is being genuine. His postings to me is a normal posting of a new immigrant to Canada who did not recieve adequate information prior to migrating to Canada. His posting is absolutely normal.

From my experiences, Canada is a land of milk and honey but with a clause. Generally, it is not a land of milk and honey for new immigrants within their first 5 years in Canada. For publications on this issue, search for Lesleyanne Hawthorne, Jeffery Rietz, Picto, Garnet Picot, and Authur sweetman. This are researchers on immigrants in Canada. It can provide you with objective evidence.

Despite this researchers, a lot of immigrants still become successful, but it will be out of the norm for an immigrant (especially from Nigeria) to be at the same level they were in Nigeria within 5 years in Canada. Im not saying it does not happen, what Im saying si that it is not the norm. Although, I could say on the other hand that success is relative.

Immigrants in Canada who are frustrated are often those who are uninformed or who believe some information they recieve prior to coming to Canada iabout difficulty in labour market integration is incorrect. Fernandez is not wrong, from the interviews I have had with recent immigrants in Canada, fernandez quotation is very popular. Generally starts with this feeling of I want to come to Cnaada, I want to come to Canada. Nigeria is soo bad. Then, once accepted to come to Canada some people (not all) may have this almost kind of feeling of uncertainty. Then the first few days in Canada is like, wow, beautiful country, good roads, its like paradise. Then followed sometime with if I had known , I would have ........ (usually because of problems mainly getting a job in their field or a decent job). For Ferd..., I would expect that after he as lived here for a year or so, if he has made the right moves, his story will change. It will become more of a story of good and bad. Which is more what the picture is. A bit of a polarized story of Canada is good but........ Then around 5-10years, if he has made the right move, the story will end with I am very happy I made the choice. It was the best for my children. It was the best for my family. I made the right choice. This is a typical picture of what i have seen and read, but of course, there are exceptions to the rule. Its a journey, he is going through the journey

My husband, a medical doctor in Nigeria is also going through this great challenge now of professional integration. The experience of lack of credential recognition is a great challenge and many immigrants get depressed about it after coming to Canada, especially if they are not fully informed prior to migration.

So, I will keep this constructive. Here is what I suggest for you not to maximize your potential

1) Get a realistic picture: realize that there are multiple experiences. and peoples stories are based on where they are in the immigration process, how lucky they are, how strategic they are , the social networks and supports they have available and how good the moves they have made.
2) Start your professional registration before you get to Canada (esepcially if your profession is regulated in Canada. lawyer, doctor, nurse, pharmacist, accountant etc.)
2) Be prepared to live in Canada (for a family of 4) paying $900-1050 for rent 2 bedroom, paying around $400 for food (I eat a lot so I might have over estimated), $ 250 for bus transportation (husband and wife only), and around $100 for phone and tv. In addition, on everything you buy, you pay taxes, 13% tax (yes, tax gets on some peoples last nerves but if you are informed it is much better for you). Also, your pay will be taxed, the higher you earn, the more tax comes off. Its not uncommon for 1/3 of the money people earn to go back to the government towards tax. But generally, if you are a new immigrant (especially less than 1 year), you are probably low income and your tax is probably not that much. Canadians pay more tax than many other countries, including the united states. Tax is the only reason why we are able to maintain our social programs, for example, almost free healthcare, social welfare for unemployed, programs for new immigrants to Canada etc. In addition to this cost, be prepared for other cost. For example if you have an infant and you want to put them in a subsidized daycare by the city of toronto, it is 1,500. Of course as a (smart) nigerian immigrant, this is not the best to do. You can probably get a nigeiran that you can pay to take care of your child really well for $30 a day while you go to work. There are other small things that I cannot all state, but I welcome questions
4) Considering the cost, bring lost of savings from Nigeria. You will need it. It will be finished like you wont believe it. It is better if you bring money but budget that it wont be used (although you are fully aware it will finish very easily). Plan to live a very low life during your first year in Canada.
5) Try to get a job after 2 weeks of getting to Canada (your first 2 weeks I believe should be for settlement -register for social insurance care, health card)
6) Be prepared to work low jobs on arrival in Canada, if you are a health professional, you can get a job taking care of disabled people. There are two employment agency in Canada, owned by nigerians and have almost all nigeirans working for them, Dorvict and Jodal (i also worked for dorvict on my way up the ladder) Before this, you need a first aid and CPR training that cost around 115 dollars. If you are not a health care professional, itmay be thougher. If you are not a healthcare professional you may be able to get a job as a security officer. You may need a 2 day to 10 day course for this (of course, you will need to pay for the security course). You can also work in a factory (the work is though I know as I did this when I was in high school).
7) At the same time, you will need to start networking. Here I believe you need to be strategic. My strategy has always been to both network within the nigerian community and also outside the nigerian community. My strategy has been largely concentrated outside the nigeiran community. Most people start networking in churches. The other place that is important to network is by doing volunteer job. I encourage you to dedicate around 4-6 hours a week volunteering in your profession. This will provide you with 2 things, Canadian reference (trust me, you will need it), Canadian work experience and also network. I suggest you volunteer is outside the nigerian community.
8) Be prepared to upgrade. The most recent research I was reading shows people immigrants who go for 4 year courses are not the most succesful, unless its something like nursing. I strongly suggest a masters course. For many people with families, this is not an option. You can consider short courses but again, you need to be strategic on return on your investment. Around 5 years ago, some Nigerian churches (I think pastor Wales redemed church in missisuaga started it) started offering bussiness analyst courses. The price I heard has drastically increased since then. People who take this business analyst course, I have heard anecdoctally, they have been successuful. Project management is another good one. But take the national or international licensing exam and become a PMP Another good one is CISA (information systems auditor). This are all very short courses. Courses like personal support worker which normally takes 4 months to complete, I discourage people from taking it. The return on investment is low. You can use some of the money you have brought from Nigeria towards this courses.
9) Continue volunteering and networking. Register in professional associations (if you are eligible). Attend professional conferences. Also, do goood. Do things for people and expect nothing in return (you dont know where you will get the reward).
10) Make use of the opportunities that you have new immigrant programs (yes, sometimes, the programs seem like you are wasting your time). It helps some people and it doesnt help others.
11) continue educating yourself.

Its 4am. So, need to sleep so I will stop here. Unfortunately there is something on my computer that makes it difficult for me to read as I type so I appolgoize for any errors.

For those in the process, good luck. For most if you think about short term economic outcome and gain, coming to Canada may not the best. If you think of long term outcome, coming to Canada may be a really good idea.
For those new to Canada. Welcome to Canada. Yes, there are many struggles in Canada. Different from Nigeria. If you make the right moves and work hard, you will be successful. Looking forward to your reading about your great news and achievement.

FINALLY, All things are possible.

imu

Jan 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dear RN
thanks a lot for sharing such a piece of experience in Canada. I applied from bangladesh and i am on the process on NOC 4131.
though I am not from Nigeria but i enjoyed your writings here.please keep sharing things related to Canadian experience . could you please write something on teaching profession in economics.I set my mind to work for in any jobs as the survival l level.

thanks indeed
imu

imu

Jan 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tinuadeadebola said:
Thanks tito for yours above. Am sure a lot of things have happened between then and now and you need to update us.
thanks a lot for your sharing such an experiences and concerns relating to social and cultural changes taken places in the different society. though i am not from your country, Nigeria but i am enjoying reading your experiences there. i am from Bangladesh by country and in region, southeast Asia .i realize how we differ in society and maintaining values in the society.things are going to be changed obviously but we at the same time cannot rule out the current trend . that is the point of concern. i am in the last end of the application process.

in the coming days i am going to the father of a kid and hoped for giving a better environment for the future generation . but i thought a lot about it . in my philosophy ,i am ensured that things will happen accordingly for the future generation. the trend for rearing the future generation may not be the happy one . ohh god! forgive me ! its true that we leave our inane culture and social trend back which in no exchange , could be the same as we see in Canada . of course, we bear mutual respect for Canadian values . but we may not return from the root in any way. we thought and thought once again but theres no way, brother ! except for social integration i9n canada!"
keep sharing feelings and experiences there.

best wishes for you .
imu

spokes

Nov 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Already landed!
@RN,
First of all, I would like to appreciate your refreshing take on the Fernandez saga, it may just succeed in quelling everyones' reactions (please note that I am not holding brief for the guy) to it or at best shift the conversations around to more constructive angles.

Secondly, congrats for taking time to let us know of the bare-faced facts of immigration and the challenges of succeeding as an immigrant. I can't wait to read more.

tinuadeadebola

Champion Member
Feb 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2010
Doc's Request.
22-06-2010
AOR Received.
22-06-2010
IELTS Request
already taken
File Transfer...
26-06-2010
Med's Request
June18th 2012
Med's Done....
June 21st 2012
Passport Req..
August 21st 2012
VISA ISSUED...
August 27th 2012
LANDED..........
February, 2013
@RN,
Many thanks dear sister for your time and frank words. I personally appreciate your detailed treatment of almost all aspect of the immigration process;daycare, job, schooling, networking etc. I really do wish you and your husband best of luck and trust that you guys will join in the number of successful immigrant. We hope you will find time to educate us again on this thread.

@my people,
please too much energy has been expended on Tax or no tax please lets get back to business. Fernadex, Seglad Dreamteam we are waiting to hear from you guys as regards job, house and business hunt in Canada please remember to spend less as has been advised and make sure you do only the needful for now. All the best

Kcsider

Jan 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
Thanks RN,
Ur post makes an interesting read. I am craving for more expo on the whole process. Hope u will find more time to enrich us the more.

Good luck to u and ur husband

fernendez

Sep 26, 2010
Mrs.U, i can not but conclude that you appear to be a myopic person. FYI, i moved here from UK and taxation is different because it is already incorporated in the cost of what you buy as against in Canada. Mind you i added it as a form of joke and its so obvious that most of these naija people don't know the difference between a joke and what is serious!! Anyway, am here to inform well mannered people not myopic ones like you!!

fernendez

Sep 26, 2010
Right, you are funny padi mi fernendez is indeed foreign!!lol
Seglad, how area? I dey come brampton now we fit hook up!lol

fernendez

Sep 26, 2010
Kcsider, there might be another bridge for you to cross after this one as you said. I was never bringing anything or anyone down as it was just a simple .Mind you, i get my right to post anything!!

barsindoo

Champion Member
Jul 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Deal with issues where you are. Stop looking back or you might turn into a pillar of salt.

seglad

Aug 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
quote author=fernendez link=action=profile;u=66535 date=1301171484]
Bros, see as your eye red unto post!!
Come to think of it, do people really pay goods sales taxes in naija?
I am not running anything down and i owe no one apologise.
How you dey and how are you settling down?
[/quote]

Am fine and thank you. I would advise you to mind the use of your words, next time please. All members on this forum are well to do, traveled wide,responsible and respectful people. Everyone deserve to be respected, please. Your views and contributions will always be respected and valued if it is channel in the right manner.

seglad

Aug 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fernendez said:
Mrs.U, i can not but conclude that you appear to be a myopic person. FYI, i moved here from UK and taxation is different because it is already incorporated in the cost of what you buy as against in Canada. Mind you i added it as a form of joke and its so obvious that most of these naija people don't know the difference between a joke and what is serious!! Anyway, am here to inform well mannered people not myopic ones like you!!
Yeah, i could understand! When a table turns against someone, we tend to make the matter looks like a joke. Next time don't make such expensive joke, please. Myopic????? this s rude. MRS. U was in Canada not quiet long,she knows what is obtainable in Canada. Myself, Tinuadebola, Tina, Basindo, Oloye, Oceana, Tito and many other people have once lived or visited UK and some countries in Europe. RIGHT was in United state not quiet long. I mentioned this, in order to tell you that we were all informed. Life is about learning, we shall appreciate your well constructive, positive and valuable contributions toward this forum. Never take anyone personal and show your respect towards others, should you may need one. We want all our forum member to be respected. If not, you may be tagged .........

Looking forward to meet with you personally.

Kcsider

Jan 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
Thank u Fernandez,

I agree you have the right to post 'anything'. Do not forget that every one else has freedom of speech as well. It's not limited to u alone!!!!

However just make sure your posts are done in such a manner that will not discredit others!
We should all be careful what we post in an open forum like this read all over the world! 'Na rat we dey inside house de tell the one outside say fish dey for kitchen.

KcSider