+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

July 2024 Inland spousal sponsorship timeline

qcacz

Aug 16, 2024
The description in the ircc website is dated. I have previously asked around in the forums and everyone confirmed that the AOR now only comes in the sponsor’s email and that is sufficient to apply for SWOP. I am not sure if there are additional requirements for Quebec applicants. But in general, after the AOR that comes into sponsors email, you are good to apply the swop. Hope this helps
Thanks for the info! I realized that we need an OWP and not a SOWP. We did not receive AOR yet and submitted online application on July 18. Should we be concerned?

deep60801

Jan 6, 2020
Application submitted: July 14, 2024
PA's residence: Quebec
PA's status: Post Graduate Work Permit
PA's country: India
Sponsor's status: Permanent Resident
AOR: July 9, 2024
Applied for SOWP: July 15, 2024

How long does it take to receive the SOWP, and can a new employer accept someone on maintained status for their work permit?

kaviraj251

Star Member
Sep 25, 2017
I am on closed work permit and applied for my wife Sowp and children study permit from inside Canada on 25 July and got medical request for kids in 13 August. However my wife was in Canada on visitor visa and my kids are in India since they don't have any visa. Due to emergency she returned to India on 8 August. Why they have not asked medical for my wife? If her returning to India will impact the SOWP application while SOWP application was made while she was in Canada?

sam001

Apr 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2014
AOR Received.
15-10-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
17-04-2015
Med's Done....
22-04-2015
Passport Req..
24-06-2015
LANDED..........
Sept 30, 2015
Thanks for the info! I realized that we need an OWP and not a SOWP. We did not receive AOR yet and submitted online application on July 18. Should we be concerned?
SWOP is just a term used by us I guess to refer to the fact that the eligibility of the OWP is under the spousal sponsorship or other grounds for a spouse(international students). I am not sure under what eligibility you have applied for the OWP, but I assume you have applied under inland spousal sponsorship. In that case you either need AOR or the current visa status of the PA expires in two weeks.
Being that said, I have seen people applying for the SWOP before the AOR, you can send the AOR via a webform once you receive it. Nothing to be concerned, the worst for the OWP application, they can refuse or ask for additional documentation which would the AOR. Most of the July applications got their AOR within 30 days, so you are not far behind

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
SWOP is just a term used by us I guess to refer to the fact that the eligibility of the OWP is under the spousal sponsorship or other grounds for a spouse(international students). I am not sure under what eligibility you have applied for the OWP, but I assume you have applied under inland spousal sponsorship. In that case you either need AOR or the current visa status of the PA expires in two weeks.
Being that said, I have seen people applying for the SWOP before the AOR, you can send the AOR via a webform once you receive it. Nothing to be concerned, the worst for the OWP application, they can refuse or ask for additional documentation which would the AOR. Most of the July applications got their AOR within 30 days, so you are not far behind
I tried to avoid using the term SOWP because that's commonly used by international students and foreign workers to bring their spouses in with the SOWP.

Anyway, when the discussion is under Family Class Sponsorship discussion, we (most of us) understand that's for OWP for spouse/common law of PRs/citizens during the process of sponsorship application.

Reactions: qcacz and sam001

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I am on closed work permit and applied for my wife Sowp and children study permit from inside Canada on 25 July and got medical request for kids in 13 August. However my wife was in Canada on visitor visa and my kids are in India since they don't have any visa. Due to emergency she returned to India on 8 August. Why they have not asked medical for my wife? If her returning to India will impact the SOWP application while SOWP application was made while she was in Canada?
This is NOT family class sponsorship. Ask your question in foreign worker section.

qcacz

Aug 16, 2024
Ah that’s a good idea! Any idea how I can link the application with my GCKey without the Application # or UCI # to apply for the OWP? I have tried linking it providing other information (passport number and born city) but the system is not finding it (I have also tried putting 2 instead of 1 for number of applicants).

sam001

Apr 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2014
AOR Received.
15-10-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
17-04-2015
Med's Done....
22-04-2015
Passport Req..
24-06-2015
LANDED..........
Sept 30, 2015
Ah that’s a good idea! Any idea how I can link the application with my GCKey without the Application # or UCI # to apply for the OWP? I have tried linking it providing other information (passport number and born city) but the system is not finding it (I have also tried putting 2 instead of 1 for number of applicants).
I think I am a bit lost here. You said you already applied for the OWP? if not, just wait for the AOR of the PR application. You wont be able to link your PR application with GCKey before you receive your AOR. Once AOR arrives, link the PR application with your GCKey and apply for the OWP from the same GCKey account

qcacz

Aug 16, 2024
I think I am a bit lost here. You said you already applied for the OWP? if not, just wait for the AOR of the PR application. You wont be able to link your PR application with GCKey before you receive your AOR. Once AOR arrives, link the PR application with your GCKey and apply for the OWP from the same GCKey account
No, we didn’t, we submitted PR application on July 18 and waiting to receive AOR. I called IRCC today and they do not see our application in the system, even though it says Submitted in the PR Portal. But they confirm they have received the payment. He said he will send an email to another team and for me to wait to receive an email from them. I am expecting this to go nowhere so, although this is completely demoralizing, I think I will have to redo and resubmit a new application.

alex00

Star Member
Jul 2, 2024
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
05-06-2024
AOR Received.
03-07-2024
No, we didn’t, we submitted PR application on July 18 and waiting to receive AOR. I called IRCC today and they do not see our application in the system, even though it says Submitted in the PR Portal. But they confirm they have received the payment. He said he will send an email to another team and for me to wait to receive an email from them. I am expecting this to go nowhere so, although this is completely demoralizing, I think I will have to redo and resubmit a new application.
Don't submit a new application yet. Just wait for your AOR to come.

Reactions: qcacz

theboar

Jul 29, 2024
Common-law inland
Application submitted: July 29, 2024
PA's residence: Ontario
PA's status: Worker (PGWP)
PA's country: BR
Sponsor's status: Citizen

Still waiting for an AOR.

idavid

Nov 6, 2019