+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

July 2024 Inland spousal sponsorship timeline

itsbecca

Dec 1, 2023
You can apply for OWP without AOR only if the PA's status is expiring within 2 weeks. Once submitted, the PA should have maintained status as a visitor and they will be allowed to stay.
Sorry, to add on too. Does this only apply to temporary resident with work permits? My husband is visitor status, visa exempt. His 6 months ends Sep 2nd. We're about to apply for a visitor record. Could we apply for OWP instead?

sam001

Apr 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2014
AOR Received.
15-10-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
17-04-2015
Med's Done....
22-04-2015
Passport Req..
24-06-2015
LANDED..........
Sept 30, 2015
Sorry, to add on too. Does this only apply to temporary resident with work permits? My husband is visitor status, visa exempt. His 6 months ends Sep 2nd. We're about to apply for a visitor record. Could we apply for OWP instead?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/spouse-common-law-partner-canada-open-work-permit.html

Who’s eligible to apply for a work permit without an AOR
You can only apply for a work permit without an AOR if you meet both of the following criteria:

• your work permit, study permit or temporary resident status will expire in 2 weeks or less and
  • you’ve applied for permanent residence under one of the following classes:
    • the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class (SCLPC) as a spouse or common-law partner
    • the family class as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner (sponsored overseas)

idavid

Nov 6, 2019
Inland Application
Application submitted: 2 July 2024
AOR: 30 July 2024
BIL: 2 August 2024
IME: 6 August 2024
Update:
PAL: 8 August 2024

Reactions: sam001

itsbecca

Dec 1, 2023
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/spouse-common-law-partner-canada-open-work-permit.html

Who’s eligible to apply for a work permit without an AOR
You can only apply for a work permit without an AOR if you meet both of the following criteria:

• your work permit, study permit or temporary resident status will expire in 2 weeks or less and
  • you’ve applied for permanent residence under one of the following classes:
    • the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class (SCLPC) as a spouse or common-law partner
    • the family class as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner (sponsored overseas)
Yes, sorry to have mafe you repeat. I did read that. I guess I was just worried I wasn't understanding correctly because it seems weird to say, "Well let's not extend your visitor status so that we'll meet the conditions to apply for sowp earlier."

Thank you for your answer.

sam001

Apr 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2014
AOR Received.
15-10-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
17-04-2015
Med's Done....
22-04-2015
Passport Req..
24-06-2015
LANDED..........
Sept 30, 2015
Yes, sorry to have mafe you repeat. I did read that. I guess I was just worried I wasn't understanding correctly because it seems weird to say, "Well let's not extend your visitor status so that we'll meet the conditions to apply for sowp earlier."

Thank you for your answer.
I think you are good to apply SWOP third week of this month if AOR doesn’t arrive by then. Did he get a stamp on the passport while he entered?

sam001

Apr 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2014
AOR Received.
15-10-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
17-04-2015
Med's Done....
22-04-2015
Passport Req..
24-06-2015
LANDED..........
Sept 30, 2015
He did, didn't have an end date but we just used 180 days from entering.
Yeah, so you should be good to apply 2 weeks before sept 2. I hope you get AOR soon

Reactions: itsbecca

deep60801

Jan 6, 2020
I submitted the Spousal PR application through the principal applicant's account, and as the sponsor, I received the following email from IRCC. Should I consider this as the Acknowledgment of Receipt (AOR) and proceed with submitting the Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP) application, or should we wait for a separate email from IRCC that explicitly states the AOR?

EMAIL from IRCC:
"
UCI: XXXX
Application No.: XXXX
Quote these numbers when corresponding with our office.

This is an automated message. Please DO NOT RESPOND to this message.

Dear [Sponsor NAMe],

This confirms that your application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class has been received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on 2024/07/15 on behalf of the following member(s):

[Principal Applicant name]

When should I contact CIC?
You must notify CIC of any changes to your application. Examples of changes include:
• Changes in your personal circumstances, such as birth or adoption of a child, a marriage or a divorce
• Change of contact information (e-mail, mailing address, telephone number)
• Appointment or change of immigration representative or designated individual
• Decision to withdraw your application"

deep60801

Jan 6, 2020
Yes that’s the AOR.
Can I use this email to apply for my wife's work permit? I came across below link stating that the sponsor's letter should not be used for this purpose. Could you please clarify?

• The AOR must be for your permanent resident application. You can’t use the AOR your sponsor received when they applied to sponsor you.

sam001

Apr 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2014
AOR Received.
15-10-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
17-04-2015
Med's Done....
22-04-2015
Passport Req..
24-06-2015
LANDED..........
Sept 30, 2015
Inland Application
Whats the PA's status? Do you see old Biometrics from the past temporary residence application in the GCKey? I am curious why we received IME before BIL and GCKey shows Biometrics from TRV.

deep60801

Jan 6, 2020
My wife is currently on a Post-Graduate Work Permit, which, along with her TRV, is going to expire next month. We have already submitted the Spousal PR application and received the AOR in the sponsor's email id. When filling out the Spousal Open Work Permit application, specifically in form 5710e, what should I respond to the following question?

3. I am applying for one or more of the following:
i Apply for a work permit for the same employer
ii Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer
iii Restore my status as worker
iv Get a new temporary resident permit (for inadmissible applicants only)

When selecting option (iii), I'm prompted to choose between options (i) and (ii). However, since my wife is not currently working, I'm unsure whether selecting either option makes sense. Could someone please clarify this?

shukan227

Aug 2, 2024
My wife is currently on a Post-Graduate Work Permit, which, along with her TRV, is going to expire next month. We have already submitted the Spousal PR application and received the AOR in the sponsor's email id. When filling out the Spousal Open Work Permit application, specifically in form 5710e, what should I respond to the following question?

3. I am applying for one or more of the following:
i Apply for a work permit for the same employer
ii Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer
iii Restore my status as worker
iv Get a new temporary resident permit (for inadmissible applicants only)

When selecting option (iii), I'm prompted to choose between options (i) and (ii). However, since my wife is not currently working, I'm unsure whether selecting either option makes sense. Could someone please clarify this?
Applying workpermit for the first time
Select that option

Reactions: deep60801

idavid

Nov 6, 2019
Whats the PA's status? Do you see old Biometrics from the past temporary residence application in the GCKey? I am curious why we received IME before BIL and GCKey shows Biometrics from TRV.
PA: WP.
Yes, GCKey shows previous biometric information until the biometrics recollection is completed.

Reactions: sam001