+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

July 2024 - Citizenship Application

iriskandy

Star Member
Feb 13, 2023
Has anyone applied for CA citizenship when not inside the Country. I am currently on work related trip for longer period in USA. I m eligble to apply, but wanted to check the forum.

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
Has anyone applied for CA citizenship when not inside the Country. I am currently on work related trip for longer period in USA. I m eligble to apply, but wanted to check the forum.
what questions do you have? There’s plenty who traveled for work or pleasure after applying. not sure if anyone applied from outside

hssrp

Champion Member
Dec 19, 2019
USA
You need to be in Canada when you sign the application and submit it. You are free to go after that but need to come back if required by IRCC for example for fingerprints, in-person interview, and of-course Oath ceremony. The citizenship test also ideally need to be taken in Canada but we can ask them for approval to take it from outside and they are mostly fine with it and many have taken it from outside Canada.

lachy_

Star Member
May 5, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
24-11-2016
Passport Req..
4--5-2017
LANDED..........
28-06-2017
Background Verification Completed for my spouse. July 27, 2024. The rest is in progress.

Reactions: hssrp

sonusweetie

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
You need to be in Canada when you sign the application and submit it. You are free to go after that but need to come back if required by IRCC for example for fingerprints, in-person interview, and of-course Oath ceremony. The citizenship test also ideally need to be taken in Canada but we can ask them for approval to take it from outside and they are mostly fine with it and many have taken it from outside Canada.
So we even need to inform them if we are not in the country during the test? I mean, that test invite and 20 day window can come anytime and it's not like the PR card ...

hssrp

Champion Member
Dec 19, 2019
USA
Background Verification Completed for my spouse. July 27, 2024. The rest is in progress.
Added it to spreadsheet notes. The tracker has a delay of 2 days so your spouse's background actually cleared on 25th but visible on 27th on hte tracker. For accurate dates, please check the application history section at the bottom of the tracker.

hssrp

Champion Member
Dec 19, 2019
USA
Are you sure about this? I submitted my application while in the US on vacation. I have received AOR but not anything else.
That is what I understand. I will let the experts on the forum like @forw.jane answer.

While signing the application what did you fill in the city you are signing from? And for Physical presence calculation, you need to add all absences from Canada in the past 5 year eligibility period with a from and to date of the absence. Did you add this vacation to US in the absence and if yes, what was the "To" date for this absence?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
That is what I understand. I will let the experts on the forum like @forw.jane answer.

While signing the application what did you fill in the city you are signing from? And for Physical presence calculation, you need to add all absences from Canada in the past 5 year eligibility period with a from and to date of the absence. Did you add this vacation to US in the absence and if yes, what was the "To" date for this absence?
People do that. There physical presence is not the right number but they explain that through letter of explanation. IRCC also does not mind the wrong calculation as long as it's => 1095 days. Just that it may trigger an interview for which you might be needed to be in Canada and for oath they might expect you to send boarding pass.

ian123

Jun 2, 2018
People do that. There physical presence is not the right number but they explain that through letter of explanation. IRCC also does not mind the wrong calculation as long as it's => 1095 days. Just that it may trigger an interview for which you might be needed to be in Canada and for oath they might expect you to send boarding pass.
Thank you, @forw.jane and @hssrp! I researched a bit, and it doesn't seem to be a problem to apply from outside Canada. I put the US city where I was when I signed the application, anything else would be misrepresentation, I think.

I had to "end" my last absence on the date of the application because the system wouldn't let me pick my actual future return date. However, I explained this in the description. And I believe I have about 60 days of wiggle room, so I don't expect any issues there.

I haven't moved out of Canada, I was just on a trip to the US, so hopefully they don't mind.

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
I just signed up for the tracker (https://tracker-suivi.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/dashboard in case someone is wondering, I only found out about it through this forum), and I have one question:

Is it normal that all the four elements that are not "Citizenship test" or "Citizenship ceremony" switch to "In progress" at the same time, or is this a good sign?
Yes, normal. Test only gets assigned and in-progress once they’ve communicated to the applicant since there’s time limit to it.

Reactions: hssrp and ian123

AMC1985

Star Member
May 4, 2020
Type: Online application
Physical Presence Days: 1140
Application: 2 /Family (number of family members):
Application Sent: 28-July-2024
Delivered: 28-July-2024
AOR: