+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

INLAND APPLICATIONS 2014

bored_waiting

Aug 30, 2014
Lorelai12 said:
Hello! I have am new to the forum here, though I have been obsessively reading this one and the 2013 one for months. I don't want to bore people but I would like to share our story here so people know who I am: I'll try to be brief :)

My husband is from Haiti - he has been in Canada for 7.5 years
He applied, and was rejected for both refugee status and H & C grounds. His rejection for H & C came about 2 years ago
He was never deported or asked to leave Canada as Canada had a moratorium on removals to Haiti for many years
We met and began dating 5 years ago, moved in together 4 years ago and got married 2.5 years ago. We have never lived apart
We applied for Inland Sponsorship on Feb 12/14 - app received Feb 13/14 and AOR received June 17/14.
Until we applied for the sponsorship we did not know my husband was subject to a deportation order that was not enforced because of the moratorium. We thought once we applied for Inland, he would be safe until a decision was made like everyone else. This was our responsibility to know but honestly we were just living our lives and didn't think the way we should have. Thank goodness we got a lawyer who explained this to us but I of course have been kicking myself since for not applying sooner.
She also explained that we NEED AIP for my husband prior to a removal order. When we applied, stage one was taking about 7.5 months and so we applied. 10 months later and the processing time is 16 months and the moratorium with Haiti lifted Dec 1/14.
The lovely government has said people from Haiti have 6 mos to apply for H & C and will defer removals until a decision has been made but did not make any mention if removals would be deferred with other types of permanent resident applications like Inland Sponsorship.
I have reahed the point where I am half losing my mind with waiting waiting waiting!! I am terrified this process will just continuously get longer and longer, and my husband will get deported before we get a decision - this is the most stressful thing I have ever dealt with!
My husband has been able to work throughout this and so i never signed up for the forum before. i hear the many stories of how this long process is practically bankrupting people and my heart goes out to all of you. I just felt like i wanted to join a place where other people understand some of what we are going through. Thank you for listening.
I think since your husband has problem with CBSA...CIC has to make a decision on your Application within 60 days. Just call CIC and CBSA to inform them of your husband situation.

Lorelai12

Star Member
Dec 13, 2014
Thx for ur reply Bored Waiting. Our lawyer has told us that as my husband hasn't actually received any kind of removal order yet, and that it could take several months before he gets anything, we need to wait as he may not get anything before we get AIP. She'is asked us to try to be calm until/unless something actually happens. Sadly patience and calm are not my two best qualities!!

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
Lorelai12 said:
Hello! I have am new to the forum here, though I have been obsessively reading this one and the 2013 one for months. I don't want to bore people but I would like to share our story here so people know who I am: I'll try to be brief :)

My husband is from Haiti - he has been in Canada for 7.5 years
He applied, and was rejected for both refugee status and H & C grounds. His rejection for H & C came about 2 years ago
He was never deported or asked to leave Canada as Canada had a moratorium on removals to Haiti for many years
We met and began dating 5 years ago, moved in together 4 years ago and got married 2.5 years ago. We have never lived apart
We applied for Inland Sponsorship on Feb 12/14 - app received Feb 13/14 and AOR received June 17/14.
Until we applied for the sponsorship we did not know my husband was subject to a deportation order that was not enforced because of the moratorium. We thought once we applied for Inland, he would be safe until a decision was made like everyone else. This was our responsibility to know but honestly we were just living our lives and didn't think the way we should have. Thank goodness we got a lawyer who explained this to us but I of course have been kicking myself since for not applying sooner.
She also explained that we NEED AIP for my husband prior to a removal order. When we applied, stage one was taking about 7.5 months and so we applied. 10 months later and the processing time is 16 months and the moratorium with Haiti lifted Dec 1/14.
The lovely government has said people from Haiti have 6 mos to apply for H & C and will defer removals until a decision has been made but did not make any mention if removals would be deferred with other types of permanent resident applications like Inland Sponsorship.
I have reahed the point where I am half losing my mind with waiting waiting waiting!! I am terrified this process will just continuously get longer and longer, and my husband will get deported before we get a decision - this is the most stressful thing I have ever dealt with!
My husband has been able to work throughout this and so i never signed up for the forum before. i hear the many stories of how this long process is practically bankrupting people and my heart goes out to all of you. I just felt like i wanted to join a place where other people understand some of what we are going through. Thank you for listening.
I understand that it can be extremely stressful, but as bored_waiting said, in most cases it means that CBSA will request an expedited procedure and you could get AIP sooner than your timeline would indicate. You have a strong case, 5 years together, 2.5 in marriage shouldn't trigger much more questions. Hopefully with the help of your lawyer you will be alright!
I added you to the spreadsheet, hope you don't mind.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Lorelai12 said:
Thx for ur reply Bored Waiting. Our lawyer has told us that as my husband hasn't actually received any kind of removal order yet, and that it could take several months before he gets anything, we need to wait as he may not get anything before we get AIP. She'is asked us to try to be calm until/unless something actually happens. Sadly patience and calm are not my two best qualities!!
The CBSA policy (prior to its expiration) was that they would not deport someone who had a pending Inland sponsorship application. While the policy has expired, no new policy has been announced and CBSA appears to continue to follow the old policy. We've had a number of people under departure (or deportation) orders where CBSA has held the applicant's passport but does not proceed with the removal ("administrative deferral"). I suspect, but do not know, that the reason they didn't mention it in the announcement is because CBSA doesn't generally deport people in your husband's situation anyway, while the deferral on H&C applications is a new/different policy and worthy of discussion.

Some people have reported that CIC will expedite Stage 1 if CBSA contacts them about a pending removal.

As for the speed of these things, your lawyer is absolutely correct: it takes a LONG TIME for CBSA to process a removal in a situation like yours (it's not a criminal matter, just an administrative removal). It's just part of prioritizing their resource usage.

Lorelai12

Star Member
Dec 13, 2014
Thx Carlaganda and Sophiee. And yes thank u for adding us to spreadsheet Sophiee. You are so efficient... I wish CIC were as efficient as you !!

There have been so many awful changes to immigration over the past few years, it's hard to have faith something else negative won't happen. I just hope the process speeds up and we all get good news soon!!!

Carlaganda23

Jan 8, 2014
Halifax Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Med's Done....
12-05-2015
LANDED..........
SA, AIP and DM May 21th, 2015 Landed: June 12, 2015
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/permanent-residency-spouse-sponsorship-delays-leave-new-dad-unable-to-support-family-1.2872148 please visit the site and comment. Let our voices be heard with this long,draining process of waiting.

Carlaganda23

Jan 8, 2014
Halifax Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Med's Done....
12-05-2015
LANDED..........
SA, AIP and DM May 21th, 2015 Landed: June 12, 2015
Jamesdavid3 said:
16 MONTHS FOR THE FIRST STAGE, THIS IS RIDICULOUS.
I know right? Please comment on the section and let our voices be heard with this long daunting process.. We want changes. We want an open-work permit to be granted upon AOR.

atanto

Apr 2, 2013
Carlaganda23 said:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/permanent-residency-spouse-sponsorship-delays-leave-new-dad-unable-to-support-family-1.2872148 please visit the site and comment. Let our voices be heard with this long,draining process of waiting.
I do appreciate the author's attempt however she fails to highlight the worst thing about this debacle.
People who are in limbo now applied back when AIP was a 6-9 months process. CIC decided to change the game and added an extra 7 to 10 months to it essentially backing out of their initial commitment.
That's what really hurts!

People applying today KNOW already that AIP will take 16 months and they can prepare themselves for it. But for the 2013 and early 2014 applicants, the recent increased waiting time feels like a betrayal.

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
atanto said:
People applying today KNOW already that AIP will take 16 months and they can prepare themselves for it. But for the 2013 and early 2014 applicants, the recent increased waiting time feels like a betrayal.
Exactly my sentiment. I applied when it was 8 months, and now it's 16, we didn't prepare for 16.
All we see is our goal being pushed further and further into the future indefinitely.

vik999

Jul 4, 2014
GTA
Visa Office......
mississauga
GustavesF said:
Exactly my sentiment. I applied when it was 8 months, and now it's 16, we didn't prepare for 16.
All we see is our goal being pushed further and further into the future indefinitely.
Same situation..applied 7 months back, now timeline sees unrealistic and betrayal. Came with limited resources dont know what could happen as the timeline seems.. Truly un realistic ...to even imagine how could CIC do such bad thing with us. Dont understand afterall what is our fault... Is marrying a canadian a punishable offence as the timeline shows..2 years plus. ???? Can CIC ans this.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is official guys: https://www.change.org/p/citizenship-and-immigration-canada-improve-processing-time-for-inland-spousal-sponsorship-and-grant-open-work-permit-upon-aor/u/9043006 Shocked Shocked

Confirmed by CBC: Open Work Permit to be granted on AOR

Inland Sponsorship

Edmonton, AB
Dec 16, 2014 — Following CBC massive coverage today on the issue, and tireless efforts of thousand Inland spousal sponsorship families to call on changes in Open Work Permit policy, it has been officially confirmed on CBC website today December 15 2014, that:

UPDATED:
- Government to launch one-year pilot program to help spouse sponsorship work permit applicants
- New pilot program would allow applicants to work, provide for family during processing period

We would like to congratulate those who have lobbied for this, and to extend holidays greeting to all 'Inland' families, wishing all of you a merry Canadian Christmas. We all look forward to seeing the new policy implementation in coming weeks.

vik999

Jul 4, 2014
GTA
Visa Office......
mississauga
Jamesdavid3 said:
It is official guys: https://www.change.org/p/citizenship-and-immigration-canada-improve-processing-time-for-inland-spousal-sponsorship-and-grant-open-work-permit-upon-aor/u/9043006 Shocked Shocked

Confirmed by CBC: Open Work Permit to be granted on AOR

Inland Sponsorship

Do you have link where this info is published

Edmonton, AB
Dec 16, 2014 — Following CBC massive coverage today on the issue, and tireless efforts of thousand Inland spousal sponsorship families to call on changes in Open Work Permit policy, it has been officially confirmed on CBC website today December 15 2014, that:

UPDATED:
- Government to launch one-year pilot program to help spouse sponsorship work permit applicants
- New pilot program would allow applicants to work, provide for family during processing period

We would like to congratulate those who have lobbied for this, and to extend holidays greeting to all 'Inland' families, wishing all of you a merry Canadian Christmas. We all look forward to seeing the new policy implementation in coming weeks.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's the section titled : Updated, just below the video.

I'm going to be very curious to see what CIC posts about this...and, more importantly, the minutia about the `rules'.