+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In Canada landing without an Immigration Visa stamp on passport?

hunterh

May 23, 2012
Hi, my wife went through the in Canada landing interview yesterday and became PR of Canada (We did the inland spouse application). Today we went to Service Canada to get her a new SIN. We presented her passport and the COPR paper to the officer, she said she couldn't find the immigration visa stamp on the passport and she can't issue the SIN without that. But we were told by the CIC officer that the COPR is enough for the SIN application. Don't know who is right.

So did the officer at the local CIC forgot to put the immigration visa on the passport? Or since it's an in Canada landing, there is no need for that?

Thanks.

Hunter

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hunterh said:
Hi, my wife went through the in Canada landing interview yesterday and became PR of Canada (We did the inland spouse application). Today we went to Service Canada to get her a new SIN. We presented her passport and the COPR paper to the officer, she said she couldn't find the immigration visa stamp on the passport and she can't issue the SIN without that. But we were told by the CIC officer that the COPR is enough for the SIN application. Don't know who is right.

So did the officer at the local CIC forgot to put the immigration visa on the passport? Or since it's an in Canada landing, there is no need for that?

Thanks.

Hunter
You don't mention what her nationality is, but I'd guess she's from a visa-exempt country. If so, it sounds like the Service Canada person isn't aware that visa counterfoils are no longer issued for folks from visa-exempt countries. Go back and hopefully you'll get someone else. But, just in case take the following with you:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/proof.shtml
Under Permanent Residents, highlight the section:
"Confirmation of Permanent Residence AND foreign passport for visa exempt countries"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2011/ob348a.asp

and the list of visa exempt countries at
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp#exemptions

Good luck!

(and welcome to the forum :) )

R

robrod

I landed inland and also my passport was not stamped, I was only given the COPR paper...
It's non-sense the SIN couldn't be issued because of that.
But I have read of plenty of cases where the agent needs to see the PR card, not the stamp or the COPR document.

hunterh

May 23, 2012
Thanks for both of the replies!

Good to know that we are not alone :) This should mean that the CIC officer didn't make a mistake for the stamp.

So we just have to wait for PR card to get SIN.

robrod said:
I landed inland and also my passport was not stamped, I was only given the COPR paper...
It's non-sense the SIN couldn't be issued because of that.
But I have read of plenty of cases where the agent needs to see the PR card, not the stamp or the COPR document.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hunterh said:

Good to know that we are not alone :) This should mean that the CIC officer didn't make a mistake for the stamp.

You do NOT need to wait for the PR card.

You were just unlucky with the rep you had the first time around. As a PR, she just needs her COPR and passport (assuming she's from a visa-exempt country). Just go back and try again (or go to a different Service Canada office). There's no reason why she can't get her SIN now. If it doesn't work (unlikely), politely ask to speak with a supervisor and explain the situation.

May the rest of her landing processes go more smoothly.

R

robrod

Yes, you'll be fine.
At my landing appointment here in Toronto they even had SIN guys issuing the numbers right there and then. How lucky were we?.
Don't go to any other office, you'll be wasting your time and money getting there to hear the same story: PR card.
Congrats on the landing, though!.

TU160

Star Member
Nov 30, 2011
hunterh said:

You can get a refusal letter but I don't know exactly what it gives.

wt1

Jul 23, 2010
hunterh said:

Hi, Hunterh.

I took my in-laws to Service Canada at the beginning of the year to get their SIN's. They provided their passports and COPR's and got their SIN's, no muss no fuss. Took less than 5 minutes.

I don't see any reason to wait and lots of reasons not to. You need it to apply for provincial health insurance (in Alberta you are eligible immediately and Ontario you can at least file the paperwork for OHIP so you are in the system and they process your paperwork and card while you wait out the three month waiting period), banks prefer to have it with the application, and who can forget about the Canada Revenue Agency, etc etc... Also, depending on her other nationality, getting the SIN and provincial medical establishes her Canadian residency and can help with stopping tax residence in the other country (NB ignore this sentence if your spouse is American)

As Ohcanadiana pointed out, the visa counterfoil is not required. While I've had pretty good experience with Service Canada, I've had similar issues with Service Ontario reps who insist on things that are not required. Sometimes, having the necessary backup documents printed out and being polite but firm works. Other times, if the rep seems like he/she failed sandbox and is being unreasonable, come back and work with another rep or go to another Service Canada location. Playing agent roulette is as valid for Service Canada locations as it is for telephone call centers. ;D

I hope the next attempt works out for you and your wife and she gets a better welcome going forward.

hunterh

May 23, 2012
Thanks you all for your replies!

To clarify, my wife is not from those visa-exempt countries. My guess is that, since she applied for the inland application and she has been staying here in Canada all the time, there is no need for the CIC to issue her the immigration visa as the landing would be processed inside Canada not at the port, in which case the visa is required.

We could wait for the new SIN, but we need to get the health card renewed soon. In case a similar case happens in the health card application, we would definitely follow you guys' suggestions.

Thanks again!

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hunterh said:
Thanks you all for your replies!

To clarify, my wife is not from those visa-exempt countries. My guess is that, since she applied for the inland application and she has been staying here in Canada all the time, there is no need for the CIC to issue her the immigration visa as the landing would be processed inside Canada not at the port, in which case the visa is required.

We could wait for the new SIN, but we need to get the health card renewed soon. In case a similar case happens in the health card application, we would definitely follow you guys' suggestions.

Thanks again!
It's just a Service Canada officer who doesn't know the right process. It's common. Go back, ask to speak to the supervisor. Your COPR should be all you need.

mrowisnki

May 7, 2013
Hi.
I am from Australia and have the similar situation then you.
I have applied from Australia in September 2012. I Canadian partner has been approved now we are just wanting for my PR.
When I check the progress it say: Received and Medical received.
In how long did your visa came?
I am in Canada at the moment in a Visitor status. Could you advise if is possible to me to get work permit while waiting. I have been trying to ask information form Sydney but they never reply.
Thanks

papirico

Star Member
Mar 17, 2013
I landed in-land and the officer did not stamp my passport either.
No issues in obtaining documents without it for me.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
mrowisnki said:
Hi.
I am from Australia and have the similar situation then you.
I have applied from Australia in September 2012. I Canadian partner has been approved now we are just wanting for my PR.
When I check the progress it say: Received and Medical received.
In how long did your visa came?
I am in Canada at the moment in a Visitor status. Could you advise if is possible to me to get work permit while waiting. I have been trying to ask information form Sydney but they never reply.
Thanks
It sounds like you're an outland application as you applied through Sydney, not an Inland, so it's a different case.
On ecas, you have 2 parts. One for the sponsorship : if it says Decision made, then it means that the first stage is done.
ON the PR side, if it still says that your application has been received and medicals as well, then it seems that your PR is not ready. Once you see "decision made" under PR status then you know that a decision has been taken. You won't need to send in your passport, as you're from a visa-exempt country, but you need to wait for the COPR to arrive, then "land as a PR" ( go to the nearest US border and back), and then go to Service Canada get a SIN. You can apply for work without that.

WHen you land, make sure that the border officer stamps your passport - without that, you won't be able to get your SIN. For visa-exempt applicants, they need the signed COPR + stamped passport to get their SIN. If you don't get the stamp on your passport, you will have to wait until your PR card arrives ( but it's a different case for inland applicants).

Hope it clarifies.
Good luck,
Sweden