+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help - Sponsor responsibilities - minimal

brtwy

Oct 4, 2012
Long story short, I'm kind of feel beingin a frauded for marriage and then sponsor the person to Canada.

I know that I've signed the papers and i'm in charge and responsible being as a sponsor for 3 years (she already have the PR card).

I remember there is one line saying, the sponsored person should make all his/her efforts to support him/herself as well. But apparently in my case, since it's a fraud, the person will definitely not do that but will all depend and ask from me.

So i'd like to know what are the minimal requirements (other than food and shelter) that I should provide as a sponsor? So that in case she asks everything, I can "legally" refuse some even being as a sponsor.

Also, is there anything I should be aware of in this case? or the longshot question, build a case to cancel the sponsorship?

By the way, i've lookd into many pages but can't find the information I need.

Thanks in advance for any advice and info.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Your "minimal" requirement is to ensure your spouse does not need to rely on government assistance for the necessities of life. Of course, what is "necessary" to her may not seem so to you, because aside from food, clothing, shelter and whatever healthcare the government does not pay for, she may need additional schooling to be able to upgrade or acquire skills so she can be employable, and this might entail expenses for travel, books, tuition etc.

You cannot, at this stage, "cancel" your sponsorship. Your spouse is in Canada and has her PR card, the sponsorship is in full play. If you want to pursue some kind of report for misrepresentation because you feel you were defrauded, you should be aware that it is difficult for CIC to chase down every reported incident, and making a report in no way relieves you of your responsibilities under the sponsorship agreement.

So, perhaps you and your spouse should discuss your situation and come to some kind of mutual understanding of your individual expectations. You feel defrauded, yet your focus seems to be on financial concerns, not emotional or relational ones. Money problems are one of the leading causes of the breakdown of relationships, it may be a good idea to examine your motivation for wanting out at this stage and have an honest conversation with your spouse.

brtwy

Oct 4, 2012
CharlieD10 said:
Your "minimal" requirement is to ensure your spouse does not need to rely on government assistance for the necessities of life. Of course, what is "necessary" to her may not seem so to you, because aside from food, clothing, shelter and whatever healthcare the government does not pay for, she may need additional schooling to be able to upgrade or acquire skills so she can be employable, and this might entail expenses for travel, books, tuition etc.
but the worse case she just apply for gov assistance and i pay back to the gov for this or she can't apply for it?
So as i understood is that as long as i can provide basic necessities for life i would have fullfilled my role? and if she does not try to also make an effort to support herself isn't that also a violation to what she signed as well?

CharlieD10 said:
yet your focus seems to be on financial concerns, not emotional or relational ones. Money problems are one of the leading causes of the breakdown of relationships, it may be a good idea to examine your motivation for wanting out at this stage and have an honest conversation with your spouse.
I just kept the story short, and scams, ultimately always ends up to financial concerns as generally scam people wants in real is to be able to easily move to Canada, and even better, if someone can pay for their necessities. So I want to make sure this is not being taken advantage of.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
brtwy said:
but the worse case she just apply for gov assistance and i pay back to the gov for this or she can't apply for it?
So as i understood is that as long as i can provide basic necessities for life i would have fullfilled my role? and if she does not try to also make an effort to support herself isn't that also a violation to what she signed as well?

I just kept the story short, and scams, ultimately always ends up to financial concerns as generally scam people wants in real is to be able to easily move to Canada, and even better, if someone can pay for their necessities. So I want to make sure this is not being taken advantage of.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply.
You would have to re-pay the government every cent if she were to go on welfare.

Basically the only REAL thing you NEED to do is financially support her. She can live on the street for all CIC is concerned (Not suggesting this!). Just as long as she's not on welfare. If she is, like I said, you would be pursued to pay back the government.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
You promised to provide the basic requirements for your sponsored spouse "if they are not self-supporting". The list on the IMM1344 included "food, clothing, shelter, fuel, utilities, household supplies, personal requirements, and other goods and services including dental care, eye care, and other health needs not provided by public health care." You understood that the "money, goods and services provided by [you] must be sufficient for the sponsored people to live in Canada."

You promised "that the sponsored person...will not need to apply for social assistance."

You understood that "they do not need to have the financial means to become established in Canada."

Your spouse's obligation as per the sponsorship agreement was "to make every reasonable effort to provide for [her] own basic requirements." She promised to "ask the sponsor...for help if [she is] having difficulty supporting [herself] or meeting [her] own basic requirements."

If you are having an issue with the effort she is putting into meeting her own requirements, you don't have an immigration issue, you have a personal/financial issue. Ask yourself, if she were back wherever she emigrated from, would you feel this way about supporting her? Would you be asking what is the minimum amount of support you could provide and still be within your obligations as her husband?

If you feel she misrepresented herself in marrying you and emigrating, and that she just wanted to come to Canada to sit and be taken care of and have the benefit of status in Canada, then you can try to pursue some kind of report. I wouldn't hold out much luck for CBSA investigating it any time soon.