+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HEALTH INSURANCE - OUTLAND PR

Sohini

Sep 23, 2016
Hi,

I am waiting for my COPR. I have sent my Indian passport for stamping. I will be moving to Alberta from USA. My husband in Canadian, and I am expecting to move by end of Nov 2016.
Can anybody let me know about healthcare once I land?
Will I be covered by Provincial health care once I land?
Do I need to do anything ahead of time, to get healthcare from day 1?

Any information about it would be really helpful.

Thanks!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
you won't receive coverage as soon as you land. you have to sign up for it through an authorized registry agent, which can be found on the website linked below.

Moving to Alberta from outside Canada / immigrants

If you are moving or returning to Alberta from outside Canada, you might be eligible for coverage on the date of your arrival when you register within 3 months of arrival and provide all the required documents.

Newcomers to Canada may be eligible for coverage depending on their Canada entry document. To determine if the document is accepted, an Alberta Health agent will need to review it.
Read more about temporary residents or those applying to remain permanently in Canada.
To apply for coverage, complete and submit the Application for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan Coverage (Form AHC0102), also available at an authorized registry agent location.

Read about registration requirements and eligibility

go here for information:

http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/how-to-register.html

Sohini

Sep 23, 2016
Thanks for your reply. Its a big article, and i would read it. Just wanted to confirm, that I will move to canada once I get my PR, which i am expecting to get by early november.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Residents from out of country
Canada entry documents are required to apply for AHCIP coverage

Alberta Health requires applicants to include one of the following documents from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) with your application for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage:

* Confirmation of permanent residence
* Permanent resident card
* Active work* (minimum 6 months), study* or visitor* permit for Alberta or a designation as a Convention Refugee with accompanying documentation.

Since you will have your COPR document when you land, you should be eligible for coverage right away. I don't know if there's a waiting period (there is in BC), but if there is, any medical costs will likely be reimbursed.

Sohini

Sep 23, 2016
Ponga said:
Residents from out of country
Canada entry documents are required to apply for AHCIP coverage

Alberta Health requires applicants to include one of the following documents from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) with your application for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage:

* Confirmation of permanent residence
* Permanent resident card
* Active work* (minimum 6 months), study* or visitor* permit for Alberta or a designation as a Convention Refugee with accompanying documentation.

Since you will have your COPR document when you land, you should be eligible for coverage right away. I don't know if there's a waiting period (there is in BC), but if there is, any medical costs will likely be reimbursed.
Thanks for your reply. I will be eligible, but will I be covered right away? I will be driving to canada. So if anything happens on the way, what would be the best way to ensure coverage?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sohini said:
Thanks for your reply. I will be eligible, but will I be covered right away? I will be driving to canada. So if anything happens on the way, what would be the best way to ensure coverage?
Why don't you contact them and find out? We're trying to `help', but you have to use the tools that you now have...including the contact info on the page that CDNPR2014 generously provided you with. ;)

If something happens as you're driving to Canada, Alberta health coverage won't be of any use, because...you have to actually get to (and land in) Alberta first.

You should look into short-term travel insurance.

Sohini

Sep 23, 2016
Ponga said:
Why don't you contact them and find out? We're trying to `help', but you have to use the tools that you now have...including the contact info on the page that CDNPR2014 generously provided you with. ;)

If something happens as you're driving to Canada, Alberta health coverage won't be of any use, because...you have to actually get to (and land in) Alberta first.

You should look into short-term travel insurance.
Makes Sense... Thanks for help!