Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Hi all,

I am from Australia. I have exhausted all the possible points collectors except French test andJob offer from a Canadian employer. I currently have 478 points and it seems the cut off point wil never reach that low. Just wondering if there could be another possible way to improve score.

Thanks.
I will say, if you are a citizen of Australia, look for a job in Canada directly as you may be able to get 1 year work permit which is extensible under CPTPP.

First,

What are your qualifications?
What is your profession?
How much experience do you have?

If you fit the criteria of CPTPP (T52 code), you might be able to travel to Canada on your passport alone and apply for work permit at the port of entry and get it then and there only. Before people start scaring you about how short 1 year may be for employment, consider this :

1. Its extensible.
2. You get advantage of Maintained Status too.

Refer to, https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/international-free-trade-agreements/trans-pacific/professionals.html

Also, look at https://dfat.gov.au/trade/agreements/in-force/cptpp/outcomes-documents/Pages/cptpp-temporary-entry-of-business-persons , for a summary of outcomes. Especially the table.

What are the advantage?

You may be able to claim points for Canadian Job offer (50 points) and your employer will not have to wait long for you to commence your job. Heck you can visit Canada on your passport for interviews and once you get the job, you can "flagpole" to get your work permit the next day (once your employer complete their end of work by submitting the job offer on a government portal and paying a compliance fee) because of your australian passport, since CPTPP allows you to do so. So you get a work permit to commence your job and life in Canada, you get 50 points for your PR application and you may be able to apply under PNP (if FSW and CEC remain suspended) if you have a job offer and your employer is willing to help you. Lastly, you will know if you fit in Canada well enough and the job or whatever you want to do to earn money is working out fine for you.

PS : I have personally NEVER applied under this as I am an Indian citizen. Confirm with a RCIC or a lawyer for nuts and bolts of the game.

Last edited:

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
If you look on Glassdoor, 130K is shown as upper limit for TCS and given they're a multinational it's not surprising. Not everyone will get hired at those type of companies
Apparently TCS hires employees in bulk by weight and not by number.......

Like this....

PS : This is a joke, please do not take it too seriously :) thank you. Enable CC if you dont know Hindi.

• Haha
Reactions: OneStepAtATime

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
What is so fundamentally wrong with driving uber? It just creates an additional stream of income.
Well, nothing wrong with it. The question of whether it is the best you can do with your time is what most debate on. You can do freelance work that pays more than $50/hr as a QA, build an actual side hustle that can potentially scale, or do $20/hr Uber - individual choice, but different outcomes.

There's a difference between doing things that bring inflection points in life vs incremental work that's already facing saturation. The choice often is dictated by intelligence and individual situations. A QA making $90k with a mortgage he/she/they never properly planned for has to do what they can to make the ends meet.

tumblewit

Jun 3, 2021
India
Category........
FSW
Its a company dependent thing.

In Microsoft, they hired SDEs and SDETs with same interview rounds. They pay (or rather atleast in 2000s/early 2010s the did, I have no idea what they do now) SDET (software development engineer in test) equal to a SDE. SDETs wrote equal amount of code as SDEs. The kLoCs of src and test directories in most of the projects I worked on were very similar. Test Specs, Test Design Docs were similar in complexity to Functional Specs and Design Docs. Their subject matter was different, however. SDETs used to worry about test coverage, SDEs with functional spec coverage.

Some of my friends tell that in other parts of industry, similarities end.
Most people dont know software developers need to also think about test cases while writing code. A good software developer is also a good software tester. But a good software tester may not necessarily be a good software developer in other parts of the industry.

Most testers I work with have more application knowledge and edge case experience than me. So I think about the code I write but I can't think of all the things that can be done with it because I just dont have that kind of exposure which the testing people do when it comes to clients.

I think this testing and developer thing is a mixed bag. I dont think testers are people who didnt make it as developers. Its just that buggy code is still valuable so people can get away with cheaper testers but you need to pay developers well to sell anything at all to clients.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Most people dont know software developers need to also think about test cases while writing code. A good software developer is also a good software tester. But a good software tester may not necessarily be a good software developer in other parts of the industry.

Most testers I work with have more application knowledge and edge case experience than me. So I think about the code I write but I can't think of all the things that can be done with it because I just dont have that kind of exposure which the testing people do when it comes to clients.

I think this testing and developer thing is a mixed bag. I dont think testers are people who didnt make it as developers. Its just that buggy code is still valuable so people can get away with cheaper testers but you need to pay developers well to sell anything at all to clients.
Devs usually think of test scenarios at class or function or script level. Tests also look at integration and performance and stability testing.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Well, nothing wrong with it. The question of whether it is the best you can do with your time is what most debate on. You can do freelance work that pays more than $50/hr as a QA, build an actual side hustle that can potentially scale, or do $20/hr Uber - individual choice, but different outcomes.
Unless you are multi talented and have and maintain multiple skills or say have a very pretty face or attractive physique, your freelance will likely be limited to the one skill that you use in you main profession too. Meaning, its just more of the same. Once your main job is compromised due to economy or whatever other reason you have, your secondary source of income is also compromised. One goal for side hustle is to build up a secondary source that is not compromised by loss of your primary skill or opportunity.

Lastly, generally anything that pays more requires more dedication. Skills like cooking and driving are something that people practice anyhow, its a question of furthering them. They do not pay as much as say QA but then they also do not suffer the slumps of QA. Nursing, Texi driving, tiffin service do not usually disappear even in recession.

D

Deleted member 994371

Unless you are multi talented and have and maintain multiple skills or say have a very pretty face or attractive physique, your freelance will likely be limited to the one skill that you use in you main profession too. Meaning, its just more of the same. Once your main job is compromised due to economy or whatever other reason you have, your secondary source of income is also compromised. One goal for side hustle is to build up a secondary source that is not compromised by loss of your primary skill opportunity.

Lastly, generally anything that pays more requires more dedication. Skills like cooking and driving are something that people practice anyhow, its a question of furthering them. They do not pay as much as say QA but then they also do not suffer the slumps of QA.

What affect do you see "AI" or transformers will have on the IT industry?

As I see it it will enable one man to do tasks of many different teams, i.e, the exact thing personal computers did when they came on scene.

How are you future proofing yourself?

D

Deleted member 1050918

Looking for feedback here.
Can a software engineer with 6 years of experience outside Canda expect a 6 figure salary ?
Depends. If the experience is good and the engineer is capable, also has good English skills, then yeah. If it's some random experience in a random country at a random employer, then probably no.

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
Can a software engineer with 6 years of experience outside Canda expect a 6 figure salary ?
What is 6 figure? 100000 or 999999 cad. Former is about avg for 6 yrs exp. Latter is probably for some advanced neural network AI dev at Google with stock options.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Skills like cooking and driving are something that people practice anyhow, its a question of furthering them. They do not pay as much as say QA but then they also do not suffer the slumps of QA. Nursing, Texi driving, tiffin service do not usually disappear even in recession.
I get that part. That is incremental work. Will add something of some value to those people's life, but not a lot. I guess it depends on how thoughtful someone is in building their skills throughout their life.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Know a couple friends at this exp level who do just after landing a few months ago, so fresh data here. Software devs are of very horrible quality inside Canada right now. Tech recession still doesn't seem to be hitting them as hard right now as it should've been for the quality.

Six figures is not too hard if you are actually a top 75 percentile dev in Canada.