03-02-2014
AOR Received.
01-03-2014
Med's Done....
30-07-2013
Netkid said:
Gang,

My wife landed last night.

We went to Peace Arch about 8pm - thought it'd be quiet based on the reports, but it was almost 1 hour waiting. Turns out, we could have walked into the office, or done a U-turn, but we figured we'd do some shopping in Blaine also. The US guard gave us grief cause she didn't have an I94...which you don't need when you fly into the US. Anyway, we got the US royal treatment in the office...that said - the inside office guards were SUPER nice and awesome. It cost $6 to 'grant' the I94.

On the way back, I made a turn I wasn't sure about and after intending to go to Peace Arch cause they do Immigration 24-7, I ended up at a crossing. I knew it didn't look familiar...and it was way too close to the grocery store! Anyway, the Canadian officer was awesome and sent us inside where it was empty - the officers were just hanging about. Our guy was super awesome too - asked a few basic questions, did his thing - maybe 15-20 min total. Shook both of our hands and answered our q's about PR card, SIN, travel, etc. They don't give our swag any more due to budget cuts. We had a formal list of goods to follow which he stamped - just to be on the safe side - we figured it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

That was it! If you time it right, it's dirt easy.

Questions I asked:
- can we travel before now and the time the PR card arrives: He said yes of course, the signed CoPR in your passport + visa exempt passport = no problem
- can they change the name to my wife's married name on the PR card: No, but you can do it after if you want ($50), or leave it and carry a marriage certificate

We'll be visiting a Service Canada center this week to get the ball rolling on the SIN

Good luck all - and if any q's - feel free to ask

Congratulations netkid! Best of lucks
I didn't know they used to have swags.. What were they?
Since you recommend this crossing do you remember where it is so may be we could go there and avoid the headaches of going to a busy one
where can i find info on the formal list of items to follow? How do I get the form and how detailed that is have to be?
Did you guys change last name too? Can you share how you recommend doing it?

thx a lot and congrats again.

Netkid

Star Member
Oct 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2014
AOR Received.
21-03-2014; 25-03-2014
File Transfer...
03-04-2014
Med's Request
27-04-2014
Med's Done....
12-02-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
09-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR Arrived 22-05-2014
LANDED..........
26-05-2014
They used to give out pins and flags but they didn't have any.

The Pac Hwy and Peace Arch crossings are the main crossings in Surrey/White Rock, BC. They are always busy but if you go after 930-10pm the wait is less. The one guard said we could park and walk across, it's much faster than waiting to go into the US by car and coming back, so that'd likely be even faster for you.

My wife left her last name as is for now - due to professional and immigration reasons. Her passport expires in 2015, so when we renew that, we will also have the name changed. She will have her PR card in her maiden name but the officer said that's totally not a problem if you have your marriage certificate when you travel. BC's marriage certificates are not very big either.

Goods to follow - just search the Border Services site for the B4 / B4a. We used the B4, filled in the basic information. Our actual list was on a printed Excel sheet - item and value. Very easy. Our officer did not even read the list - he just had it stamped and signed.

Anything else, just shout.

KTCYYZ

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-02-2014
AOR Received.
01-03-2014
Med's Done....
30-07-2013
Netkid said:
They used to give out pins and flags but they didn't have any.

The Pac Hwy and Peace Arch crossings are the main crossings in Surrey/White Rock, BC. They are always busy but if you go after 930-10pm the wait is less. The one guard said we could park and walk across, it's much faster than waiting to go into the US by car and coming back, so that'd likely be even faster for you.

My wife left her last name as is for now - due to professional and immigration reasons. Her passport expires in 2015, so when we renew that, we will also have the name changed. She will have her PR card in her maiden name but the officer said that's totally not a problem if you have your marriage certificate when you travel. BC's marriage certificates are not very big either.

Goods to follow - just search the Border Services site for the B4 / B4a. We used the B4, filled in the basic information. Our actual list was on a printed Excel sheet - item and value. Very easy. Our officer did not even read the list - he just had it stamped and signed.

Anything else, just shout.
Great tip.. Sounds like the place to go to, shorter lines, friendlier service.. Thanks..

For changing last names we are thinking the same thing.
The passport does not expire until 2017. We did not want to delay the application by doing the change in name in China (I hear it's a nightmare) and did not want to start mid process neither afraid that any changes would confuse, complicate, delay unnecessarily.
Since we are not together (China is not a visa exempt country) our objective was to get the approval and land ASAP and then look at everything else.

I read in an old post that you could actually change last name when landing. Do you know if this is still true?
Since we are in the same boat (changing names after landing) what do you recommend is the best course of action? Where can I get clear instructions on how to do this as a new immigrant? Since I do not have a BC or Canadian marriage certificate but one from China, will this be accepted too?

Netkid

Star Member
Oct 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2014
AOR Received.
21-03-2014; 25-03-2014
File Transfer...
03-04-2014
Med's Request
27-04-2014
Med's Done....
12-02-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
09-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR Arrived 22-05-2014
LANDED..........
26-05-2014
officer said not advised - cause then they'd need a new CoPR and that'd take time.
and since the PR card system is linked to landing - when they land you, the PR card request generates - so it'd be tricky to do the change of name then.

i knwo someone who travels using her maiden name on her PR card but has never had an issue (she carries her certif ) but has never been asked for it.

steler

Star Member
Dec 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 5th 2014
AOR Received.
Mar 7th (First); Mar 25th (Second) 2014
File Transfer...
Mar 7th 2014
LANDED..........
July 9th, 2014
Hello girls and boys. I'm getting tired of waiting for having the decision made while other people have it in a few days, so I ordered the notes to see what is happening. I will let you know in a month when I get it. Hopefully I'll get the COPR before :)

KTCYYZ

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-02-2014
AOR Received.
01-03-2014
Med's Done....
30-07-2013
steler said:
Hello girls and boys. I'm getting tired of waiting for having the decision made while other people have it in a few days, so I ordered the notes to see what is happening. I will let you know in a month when I get it. Hopefully I'll get the COPR before :)
good luck steler.

knowledge_eater

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
21-03-2014, Visa Office AOR: 09-05-2014
File Transfer...
28-04-2014
Med's Done....
03-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
VISA Issued: 28th Oct 2014, DM 13-10-2014, PPR 13-10-2014, Can't wait for the visa!
LANDED..........
December end is the target!
Congrats NetKid!

And good luck steler!

I am getting little nervous about Passport request. May be way too early but my target of December seems to be far fetched. :'( :'(

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014....Remeds 13-03-15
Interview........
"Waived" In Process August 19-2014
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
DM after almost 15 months of waiting, April 20/15
LANDED..........
15-05-2015 Finally... together...
steler said:

Nothing yet Steler...... but Paris office seems to move files so fast.... what's going on....

Please let us know when you get them....

8)

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
KTCYYZ said:
Great tip.. Sounds like the place to go to, shorter lines, friendlier service.. Thanks..

For changing last names we are thinking the same thing.
The passport does not expire until 2017. We did not want to delay the application by doing the change in name in China (I hear it's a nightmare) and did not want to start mid process neither afraid that any changes would confuse, complicate, delay unnecessarily.
Since we are not together (China is not a visa exempt country) our objective was to get the approval and land ASAP and then look at everything else.

I read in an old post that you could actually change last name when landing. Do you know if this is still true?
Since we are in the same boat (changing names after landing) what do you recommend is the best course of action? Where can I get clear instructions on how to do this as a new immigrant? Since I do not have a BC or Canadian marriage certificate but one from China, will this be accepted too?
For the change of name its not a problem,
You can apply for her SIN using her married name with not any problem..,
Looks like the Permanent Residence Card will be sent using her single name,
but after paying a fee of 50 dollars it can be changed to her married name...

That is the plan when my wife arrives, as we also opted for her single name
for her application, waiting to change passport was going to take too long,
so, we applied using her single name....

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Netkid said:
I read Chile used to have a really good time so people would send it there...then they changed the rules so you have to apply to the office that serves the country of your citizenship?

It is difficult to know if it can be done now.....

but I did not want to take the risk of have
my file re-routed

TorontoEH

Star Member
Feb 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 18, 2014
AOR Received.
Mar 29, 2014
File Transfer...
Apr 16, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 7, 2014
Good news, we noticed today that ECAS status changed to "In Process" today. The below line was added:

We started processing your application on May 29, 2014.

steler

Star Member
Dec 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 5th 2014
AOR Received.
Mar 7th (First); Mar 25th (Second) 2014
File Transfer...
Mar 7th 2014
LANDED..........
July 9th, 2014
TorontoEH said:
Good news, we noticed today that ECAS status changed to "In Process" today. The below line was added:

Congratulations! You are in the last step! Hopefully it doesn't take as long as me to process it ;)

dreamtocanada_uk

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/02/2014
Doc's Request.
16/08/2014
AOR Received.
07/03/2014
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Don't know
Med's Request
15/02/2015
Med's Done....
16/02/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
Not sure
TorontoEH said:

Congratulations................... I am sleeping bcoz Singapore visa office is too slow.

Mrs.Purcy

Star Member
Apr 18, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-14
Med's Done....
01-24-14
Netkid said:
Gang,

My wife landed last night.

We went to Peace Arch about 8pm - thought it'd be quiet based on the reports, but it was almost 1 hour waiting. Turns out, we could have walked into the office, or done a U-turn, but we figured we'd do some shopping in Blaine also. The US guard gave us grief cause she didn't have an I94...which you don't need when you fly into the US. Anyway, we got the US royal treatment in the office...that said - the inside office guards were SUPER nice and awesome. It cost $6 to 'grant' the I94.

On the way back, I made a turn I wasn't sure about and after intending to go to Peace Arch cause they do Immigration 24-7, I ended up at a crossing. I knew it didn't look familiar...and it was way too close to the grocery store! Anyway, the Canadian officer was awesome and sent us inside where it was empty - the officers were just hanging about. Our guy was super awesome too - asked a few basic questions, did his thing - maybe 15-20 min total. Shook both of our hands and answered our q's about PR card, SIN, travel, etc. They don't give our swag any more due to budget cuts. We had a formal list of goods to follow which he stamped - just to be on the safe side - we figured it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

That was it! If you time it right, it's dirt easy.

Questions I asked:
- can we travel before now and the time the PR card arrives: He said yes of course, the signed CoPR in your passport + visa exempt passport = no problem
- can they change the name to my wife's married name on the PR card: No, but you can do it after if you want ($50), or leave it and carry a marriage certificate

We'll be visiting a Service Canada center this week to get the ball rolling on the SIN

Good luck all - and if any q's - feel free to ask
Wow did your entire process take... 3 months?!

Netkid

Star Member
Oct 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2014
AOR Received.
21-03-2014; 25-03-2014
File Transfer...
03-04-2014
Med's Request
27-04-2014
Med's Done....
12-02-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
09-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR Arrived 22-05-2014
LANDED..........
26-05-2014
Mrs.Purcy said:
Wow did your entire process take... 3 months?!
sure did. sydney VO + paid full fees up front + full medical = solid turnaround!