+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EE with non accompanying spouse who is already in Canada on SOWP

St.Jesudas

Nov 27, 2023
I applied spouse non accompanying and the reason I mentioned is CRS points. My spouse and I are both in Canada . I got my PR in Aug 2023 and then sponsored my spouse whose application is in progress

Reactions: sponsort

sponsort

Jun 14, 2018
I applied spouse non accompanying and the reason I mentioned is CRS points. My spouse and I are both in Canada . I got my PR in Aug 2023 and then sponsored my spouse whose application is in progress
Same here (in 2021) and my spouse got it too a few months later with no issues whatsoever.

jaseel.av

Feb 22, 2024
Hi,
i couldn'f find a thread related to this anywhere
My Husband and myself are in Canada. M on PGWP and spouse is on SOWP. While filing EE, my score drops when adding him. Is it possible that i can apply first for CEC EE and then sponsor him?
also what would be a valid reason that i can mention for stating my spouse is not accompanying.
I am worried since he is already in Canada.

I appreciate if anyone could give an advice
Thank You
did this work out? I am also going through the same situation.

Uzairkhan13

May 14, 2023
I have got an ITA in agriculture draw 437 was the cutoff. My wife is here in Canada with me. should I include her in the profile as I had not included her in the first place and my score was 479 and if I add her after the ITA the score will drop to 447. But she doesn't have an ECA or IELTS. So should I include her or not?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
I have got an ITA in agriculture draw 437 was the cutoff. My wife is here in Canada with me. should I include her in the profile as I had not included her in the first place and my score was 479 and if I add her after the ITA the score will drop to 447. But she doesn't have an ECA or IELTS. So should I include her or not?
Two things:
1. If you never listed her as even non-accompanying - you can't add her.
2. If you listed her as non-accompanying - listing her as accompanying would re-evaluate your eligibility and at 447 you'll still meet the cutoff and be issued a PR. You can add her in that case.

A word though, don't game the system by switching between accompanying and non-accompanying. This is unethical and disrespectful to those who play by the rules.

Shobhit91

Mar 1, 2020
Hi there,

Can we do this, I am in same boat too, not sure, what to do?

hemang44u

May 1, 2021
I applied Spouse Non Accompanying. My spouse is already in Canada on open work permit. I called IRCC call center. They said your application is approved and just wait for COPR. Hope it helps

If I do not include my wife (she’s on SOWP status) in my PR application, then what will happen to her status when I actually get ITA and submit my application?

And what will be her status after my PR gets approved?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
If I do not include my wife (she’s on SOWP status) in my PR application, then what will happen to her status when I actually get ITA and submit my application?

And what will be her status after my PR gets approved?
Not including is not the same as non-accompanying. In case of either, your wife will run out of status once her SOWP expires. In the case of former, you'll never be able to sponsor her. Also, it is misrepresentation to not include your spouse.

Reactions: hemang44u

hemang44u

May 1, 2021
If I mention my wife as non-accompanying in my PR application who’s with me in a Canada on SOWP status.

Her work eligibility on SOWP will be valid until it expires for her.

She’s actually expecting a baby and would love to be with her mother for extra care all the time and also that makes her bit comfortable.

once I get my PR approved,
What do I need to do to renew her work eligibility before her SOWP gets expired in 2026?
So that she can continue working for employer once she’s back to Canada.

Last edited:

hemang44u

May 1, 2021
Not including is not the same as non-accompanying. In case of either, your wife will run out of status once her SOWP expires. In the case of former, you'll never be able to sponsor her. Also, it is misrepresentation to not include your spouse.
Hi,

Thanks for timely response.
I was meant to say,
If I mention my wife as non-accompanying in my PR application who’s with me in a Canada on SOWP status.

What happens to her status?
- you already answered that SOWP will be valid until it expires for her.

She’s expecting a baby and would like to be with her mother for extra care all the time and also that makes her bit comfortable being a pregnant lady.

What do I need to do to renew her work eligibility before her SOWP gets expired in 2026?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Hi,

Thanks for timely response.
I was meant to say,

What happens to her status?
- you already answered that SOWP will be valid until it expires for her.

She’s expecting a baby and would like to be with her mother for extra care all the time and also that makes her bit comfortable being a pregnant lady.

You'll have to sponsor her through the spousal sponsorship program once her SOWP expires.

hemang44u

May 1, 2021
You'll have to sponsor her through the spousal sponsorship program once her SOWP expires.
Thanks a lot. Appreciate your help.
+100 stars for you :)

One more and that’s last question please,
During her application for spousal sponsorship program,
Will she be eligible to work for her employer once she’s back to Canada after maternity leave?

if her SOWP is valid, she’ll be able to work - I understand that.

But, if her SOWP gets expired and her spousal sponsorship application is still in process, then what will happen?

Last edited:

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
Her SOWP is valid in 2026 you say, keep your fingers crossed you get yours fast and she also quickly follows and gets the spousal PR before her current SOWP expires, research and please keep all the needed documents ready.

Otherwise, she will have to apply for an OWP when her spousal sponsorship application is still in process and her current SOWP bad luck expires.

Reactions: hemang44u

hemang44u

May 1, 2021
Her SOWP is valid in 2026 you say, keep your fingers crossed that she gets the spousal PR before her current SOWP expires.

Otherwise, she will have to apply for an OWP when her spousal sponsorship application is still in process and her current SOWP bad luck expires.
Can she apply for OWP while her SOWP is valid and her spousal sponsorship application is in process.

so that, she do not have to quit her job due to SOWP expires.

basically, getting OWP approved (based on Spousal sponsorship program) before her SOWP gets expired? Is this possible?