+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I have to leave Canada? (received email from CIC)

tidelander

Star Member
Jan 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow. So many questions.

Lyt said:
Hi tidelander,

I'm in the same situation as you. The agent that my boss hired simultaneously applied for lmia and my work permit hoping that the lmia will be approved first. My permit expired April 20, 2015 and so I was able to work under implied status. However, last July 8 I got a letter saying my work permit was refused because there's no lmia and my temporary resident status expired on July 8. I have 90 days to restore my status and I was supposed to do what you did applying for a restoration without lmia. But I did not do it and luckily I received my positive lmia today and is about to apply for restoration.
Yes you are same as me

Is it possible to apply online or is it best to apply thru writing?
I applied online. It depends on how long you want to wait. Apply online = get status restored faster.

And also for the part which asks current status in canada I should indicate out of status restoration, right?
Right.

And for background check about staying beyond your status (questions 2a,2b and 2c) I need to answer yes right?
Yes.

Do I need to provide explanation on a separate paper?
You better do. Explain how come you ended up with no status in Canada. Provide all supporting evidence (documents, letters, emails).

And for details of intended work in canada, what should be the duration of expected employment? Can I just mention any dates?
I think such info should be mentioned in LMIA. Mine said 2 years. Anyway that's not that important. If you write 4 years and LMIA is for 2 years CIC officer will give you for 2 years not for 4 :)

Lyt

Sep 10, 2015
Do I need to attach the refusal letter as proof? Or the receipt of my previous work permit application? Will it help if I include a letter from my boss or manager explaining why it took so long for my lmia to be processed? Just additional info I'm currently pregnant and was able to apply for ei before I received the refusal letter so I'm wondering if I could explain it as one reasons why I over stayed is because my doctor won't allow me to leave as I'm due to give birth soon. It sucks that this happened to me when I'm due to give birth. And i dont understand why it took 6 months for my lmia to be approved when it's a skilled job that my boss applied for me. I've read that online application is longer now than written. Hope you can give me a more detailed advice. Thank you so much.

tidelander

Star Member
Jan 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lyt said:
Do I need to attach the refusal letter as proof? Or the receipt of my previous work permit application? Will it help if I include a letter from my boss or manager explaining why it took so long for my lmia to be processed? Just additional info I'm currently pregnant and was able to apply for ei before I received the refusal letter so I'm wondering if I could explain it as one reasons why I over stayed is because my doctor won't allow me to leave as I'm due to give birth soon. It sucks that this happened to me when I'm due to give birth. And i dont understand why it took 6 months for my lmia to be approved when it's a skilled job that my boss applied for me.
There are no specific instructions on this. Definitely you need to provide:
1. Copy of your initial application (the one that got refused).
2. AOR (if you applied online) or delivery certificate from Canada Post (if by paper) to prove that you applied before your status expired and you actually were on implied status.
3. Letter from CIC that indicates that your temporary resident status expired.
4. It also would be nice if you mention that you stopped working immediately once your status expired.
Read information available on the internet. This one and this one.

I've read that online application is longer now than written.
I cannot provide a lot on this one. I am not affiliated with CIC. Here is my case.
When I applied online advertised processing time was 99 days for work permit. After this it's additional 2-4 months for restoration. I applied on April 23, 2015. I expected to receive new WP by September 2015. However, I got my status restored on July 17, 2015.