+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent Child Sponsorship - 2021

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am in Canada and my wife and daughter are in India. My wife is PR and we need to sponsor our daughter.

I am new here and trying to find a job. Hoping to start the process after I land a job.
You can apply without a job especially if you have sufficient savings to support your family. Once you are employed you can update your file.

livingincanada2016

Star Member
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Think you misunderstood what is meant by financial support. You must show that you have the funds to care for your family without government support not show that you are sending money abroad to support your family. Your bank statements, investments, proof of employment/salary, etc. is what IRCC wants to see.
I got a letter of employment from my HR. It is not stamped but signed by her. Do I need to get a stamp, which is not possible as offices are closed and everyone is working from home.

bsureshmaran

Star Member
Nov 22, 2016
I applied in last week of march 2021
reached them on 31st Mar in Sydney
Received AOR on 21st Apr
Awaiting next updates now...

Reactions: Fabia

kiddy2020

Jan 17, 2021
Reading some posts here about sponsoring dependent child, I have a question whether I can apply for PR for my dependent child as soon as I enter canada. Below is the sequence in which each event occurred:

1. April 2019 - My wife and I soft landed in Canada and came to US within 2 days.
2. May 2019 - Both of us received our PR cards and it is valid until May 2024
3. Our daughter was born in US in Feb 2020
4. We are planning to come and live in Canada before end of this year.

So, my question is: This year will be the first time we will come to Canada and live there. Can I bring my US born daughter with us and apply for her PR right away or do I have to wait for 2 years i.e. until end of 2023? If I have to wait for 2 years to meet RO, then how to make sure our daughter can stay in Canada with us?

sfy

Feb 22, 2021
Reading some posts here about sponsoring dependent child, I have a question whether I can apply for PR for my dependent child as soon as I enter canada. Below is the sequence in which each event occurred:

1. April 2019 - My wife and I soft landed in Canada and came to US within 2 days.

So, my question is: This year will be the first time we will come to Canada and live there. Can I bring my US born daughter with us and apply for her PR right away or do I have to wait for 2 years i.e. until end of 2023? If I have to wait for 2 years to meet RO, then how to make sure our daughter can stay in Canada with us?
You can apply straight away. Yes you can bring your daughter along as she is a US citizen and does not require a visa to come to Canada. Just make sure that you can show some documentation confirming that you can financially support your daughter. This can be either through employment letter, savings in bank etc.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

In short, you can sponsor her as soon as you move to Canada end of 2021.

The 2 years RO is calculated 5 years from your landing date. So you have till April 2024 to fullfill it. The latest time you can enter without risk of not meeting RO is April 2022. But that means you cannot leave Canada at all if you wait till April 2022 to enter.

Your current plan to come end of 2021 will give you buffer in case you need to travel outside of Canada for short trips.

Rginie

Apr 21, 2018
I am moving to Canada in May 2021 with my family from US, my minor son is a US citizen but Non-PR. I am going to apply his PR as soon as I land in Canada.
I know he can stay for 6 months in Canada on US passport but looking at the long processing times for both PR and visitor visa, I wanted to know what are our options if we can't get anyone of them on time, can he still stay in Canada or we need to re-enter Canada? Thank you for your response in advance.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am moving to Canada in May 2021 with my family from US, my minor son is a US citizen but Non-PR. I am going to apply his PR as soon as I land in Canada.
I know he can stay for 6 months in Canada on US passport but looking at the long processing times for both PR and visitor visa, I wanted to know what are our options if we can't get anyone of them on time, can he still stay in Canada or we need to re-enter Canada? Thank you for your response in advance.
It's completely unclear from above your own situation and that of spouse, ie who would sponsor, are you compliant with residency rules, why your minor son wasn't included in previous application, etc.

But assuming all the rest of that makes sense: your US citizen son does not need a visa to enter. If PR process for him is not finished before, you can apply for an extension of his 'visitor status', preferably 30 days or so before the six month stay period is done. Even if you don't get a formal response/approval of the extension request, he will be fine and allowed to stay while it's being processed. (Applying 30 days before advised in case it's returned for error which would then leave him out of status or the implied status from the extension request)

He should not therefore need to exit and re-enter.

Rginie

Apr 21, 2018
It's completely unclear from above your own situation and that of spouse, ie who would sponsor, are you compliant with residency rules, why your minor son wasn't included in previous application, etc.

But assuming all the rest of that makes sense: your US citizen son does not need a visa to enter. If PR process for him is not finished before, you can apply for an extension of his 'visitor status', preferably 30 days or so before the six month stay period is done. Even if you don't get a formal response/approval of the extension request, he will be fine and allowed to stay while it's being processed. (Applying 30 days before advised in case it's returned for error which would then leave him out of status or the implied status from the extension request)

He should not therefore need to exit and re-enter.
Thank you for your response. It helps. My whole family has PR except my son because he was born in US after we received our PR cards.

Reactions: armoured

JVF

Star Member
May 14, 2020
Hello guys, I just have a question about getting my minor child here in Canada.

I currently hold a work permit (for home child care) and now I wanted to file my son as my dependent.
Can I do that? Anybody knows the process?

Thank you!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello guys, I just have a question about getting my minor child here in Canada.

I currently hold a work permit (for home child care) and now I wanted to file my son as my dependent.
Can I do that? Anybody knows the process?

Thank you!
Not sure how it works for work permit holder and what type of work permit. I think you could try to apply for a visitor visa (if child is very young) or a study visa (if the child needs to go to school). But that has nothing to do with family sponsorship.

I think you will get better answers if you post at the foreign worker sections. (Family sponsorship is for PR or Canadian citizen to sponsor their family to become PR here)

cmcalister

Star Member
Jan 27, 2019
For those of you who have already submitted your dependent child only applications, did you submit the form 5532 Relationship information and sponsorship evaluation. The guide says yes but it is not listed in the checklist for dependent child. Thanks.

sfy

Feb 22, 2021
For those of you who have already submitted your dependent child only applications, did you submit the form 5532 Relationship information and sponsorship evaluation. The guide says yes but it is not listed in the checklist for dependent child. Thanks.
This form is required if you are sponsoring your spouse. Its not applicable if you are only sponsoring dependent child.

Fabia

Apr 26, 2014
Hi

Can some one tell me what is entire the process after submitting Application
my Application was Received on 23 April 2021
I received an Email (AOR) from CIC on 29 April 2021

now i am wondering what is the next step and i appreciate anyone share your application milestones to compare mine and get an idea

Thanks