+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conversion of evisa to oci in India

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi Prashanth

Thanks for sharing the information. My wife has some similar situation and should get her visa conversion done in India. Please suggest or give some info if you know answers for the below questions.

Our Current Situation:- My wife citizenship oath is on Oct 23rd. And she has to travel to India between Nov 15th to Nov 20th and stay there for an year atleast due to some situations.

Thinking of the below plan:-
1. After oath, get Canada passport, Apply for Indian e-visa and travel to India in Nov with Canada and Indian passports.
2. Surrender the Indian passport in India. (Thinking of this because she can't get the surrender certificate in Canada before she leave to India. And it's quicker process in India).
3. After getting the surrender certificate, apply for Entry visa through e-FRRO portal.
4. Stay 6 months with entry visa and apply for OCI.

Do you think of any complications in the above plan?

Questions about your case:-

1. Just wanted to know, why did they fined you with 23k INR?
2. Any idea about the processing time for conversion of e-visa to entry visa?
Fine is generally collected if you travel on your Indian passport after getting citizenship of another country. Also there is time frame within which you need to surrender your passport. The time limit and fine available online does not seem to be the latest version.

mickymots

Feb 23, 2016
Fine is generally collected if you travel on your Indian passport after getting citizenship of another country. Also there is time frame within which you need to surrender your passport. The time limit and fine available online does not seem to be the latest version.
OCI rule says you can't apply from within India if you're on a short term visa. Not sure if this has changed or if it is not enforced.

mickymots

Feb 23, 2016
I live and work in India. I have come to Canada to finish Citizenship and OCI process. Now, it's been a week since OCI application and have received acknowledgement on 11th Oct.

Now, I fear that OCI will be delayed due to Canada-India diplomatic issues.

Couple of questions:

1. Is there a thing called 'Stay Visa'?
2. Can I visit India on eVisa then apply 'Stay Visa' ?
3. Can I work on Stay Visa?

While On stay Visa, I hope to finish OCI and get a friend to deliver to me in India.

Suggestions please.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I live and work in India. I have come to Canada to finish Citizenship and OCI process. Now, it's been a week since OCI application and have received acknowledgement on 11th Oct.

Now, I fear that OCI will be delayed due to Canada-India diplomatic issues.

Couple of questions:

1. Is there a thing called 'Stay Visa'?
2. Can I visit India on eVisa then apply 'Stay Visa' ?
3. Can I work on Stay Visa?

While On stay Visa, I hope to finish OCI and get a friend to deliver to me in India.

Suggestions please.
Other than employment visa/ OCI you won't be able to work in India legally. In your case you should apply e-visa and wait for OCI. Once you get it exit and re-enter India.

Reactions: mickymots