+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BREAKING NEWS Bill C-6 finally passed in HoC, Now reading in Senate

nptfdo

May 23, 2010
I've been living in Canada for more than 7 years .. I got my PR about 2.5 years back though.
If the Bill C-6 is passed this year and the residency before the PR is also considered for citizenship eligibility, I will be eligible for citizenship now itself.
But the thing is that because of my parent's health circumstances, I may have to move back to my native country for almost an year. I plan to come back after that time and continue staying in Canada.
As per my understanding, if the Bill C-6 is passed, the "intent-to-reside" clause will no longer be valid. In that case, will my application for citizenship be impacted if I am not present in Canada for the next one year?

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
Even if they remove intent to reside, the IRCC or cic would just make rules of their own and harass you based on fact you are not there, even though per law you have fulfilled criteria. CIC makes own laws which usually are more tough that what law says. Harassing people is in CIC founding charter.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
nptfdo said:
I've been living in Canada for more than 7 years .. I got my PR about 2.5 years back though.
If the Bill C-6 is passed this year and the residency before the PR is also considered for citizenship eligibility, I will be eligible for citizenship now itself.
But the thing is that because of my parent's health circumstances, I may have to move back to my native country for almost an year. I plan to come back after that time and continue staying in Canada.
As per my understanding, if the Bill C-6 is passed, the "intent-to-reside" clause will no longer be valid. In that case, will my application for citizenship be impacted if I am not present in Canada for the next one year?
Isnt intent to reside a post citizenship thing and nothing to do with your residency obligations before applying so even if the new new rules come into effect you still need to accumulate the relevant number of years leading upto application.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even if the "intent to reside" clause were gone, CIC will probably just go back to their old tactics of RQ's and other delays in the citizenship applications of people they know have left Canada after applying. It is somewhat explainable by them being worried that if you leave Canada as soon as you have applied, maybe you didn't live in Canada either in the time leading up to your application as you say you did so they may want you to prove it. On the other hand, they also resent it a bit that people come to Canada, apply as soon as they qualify and can't wait to leave again. Not that there is any law against that but they don't have to make it easy for you.

tim50

Feb 8, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I read this thread. Very interesting. Looking for your advise on following as I am completing 4 yrs residency requirements by Oct 15/2016.

- Should I wait until C-6 get passed and implemented before I apply ?
- I know processing could be quicker if I apply now.

I do not want to apply NOW because-

- In this case, I need to sign 'intend to stay in Canada'. I have no plan to perm move from Canada but incase we need to go for few months in the future. if we sign intend to stay - will still applicable in case rule changes (C-6).
- I need to collect proof for language (CLP or others) if I apply now.

Thanks,
Kapil

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tim50 said:
I do not want to apply NOW because-

- In this case, I need to sign 'intend to stay in Canada'. I have no plan to perm move from Canada but incase we need to go for few months in the future. if we sign intend to stay - will still applicable in case rule changes (C-6).
If you are not planning on leaving during the processing time or right after applying for citizenship, I wouldn't worry about that. Intent just means that you are planning to. Right now, you are planning to remain in Canada. Later on, especially some years in the future, plans may change.

gaby8

Star Member
Jul 20, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico city
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 7, 2014
Doc's Request.
DD Oct 28, 2014
Nomination.....
PER Nov 7, 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
Jan 21, 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 26, 2015
Passport Req..
Feb 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 24, 2015
LANDED..........
Mar 9, 2015
Leon said:
If you are not planning on leaving during the processing time or right after applying for citizenship, I wouldn't worry about that. Intent just means that you are planning to. Right now, you are planning to remain in Canada. Later on, especially some years in the future, plans may change.
I guess after getting your citizenship you can do whatever you want in terms of residency... You wont lose your citizenship if you have to move from canada for a few years in the future..

gaby8

Star Member
Jul 20, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico city
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 7, 2014
Doc's Request.
DD Oct 28, 2014
Nomination.....
PER Nov 7, 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
Jan 21, 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 26, 2015
Passport Req..
Feb 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 24, 2015
LANDED..........
Mar 9, 2015
Is it common that people move away from Canada once they get Citizenship? I dont think so.. Is CIC really worried about that? I dont think so.. I dont see the logic..

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
gaby8 said:
Is it common that people move away from Canada once they get Citizenship? I dont think so.. Is CIC really worried about that? I dont think so.. I dont see the logic..
Not common that people move away? You may want to rethink that again. If it is not common as you say, why all this rush to get 3 / 5 back? Why were people were in a rush to submit application under 3/4 rule before 4/6 rule kick in (intend to reside). If they really were going to settle in Canada and not move away after getting citizenship, then waiting an extra year to qualify and staying in Canada during processing wouldn't matter to them.

Actions speak louder than words.

gaby8

Star Member
Jul 20, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico city
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 7, 2014
Doc's Request.
DD Oct 28, 2014
Nomination.....
PER Nov 7, 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
Jan 21, 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 26, 2015
Passport Req..
Feb 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 24, 2015
LANDED..........
Mar 9, 2015
screech339 said:
Not common that people move away? You may want to rethink that again. If it is not common as you say, why all this rush to get 3 / 5 back? Why were people were in a rush to submit application under 3/4 rule before 4/6 rule kick in (intend to reside). If they really were going to settle in Canada and not move away after getting citizenship, then waiting an extra year wouldn't matter to them.

Actions speaks louder than words.
Yeah but whats the percentage of people moving away after citizenship? Just because a few do it doesnt mean the majority will...

I would say majority just want their citizenship just to be worries-less every time you travel for example keeping track of dates, PR cards, PR status, visas, etc and all the goodies that the citizenship offers you..

But I dont know that percentage.. You sound like you do know it and its super high..

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
gaby8 said:
Yeah but whats the percentage of people moving away after citizenship? Just because a few do it doesnt mean the majority will...

I would say majority just want their citizenship just to be worries-less every time you travel for example keeping track of dates, PR cards, PR status, visas, etc and all the goodies that the citizenship offers you..

But I dont know that percentage.. You sound like you do know it and its super high..
I don't not have the numbers but why are the furor over "intend to reside" clause during the citizenship application. That's sounds like they want to leave Canada while application is in process and only come back for test and oath. Again actions speaks louder than words.

gaby8

Star Member
Jul 20, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico city
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 7, 2014
Doc's Request.
DD Oct 28, 2014
Nomination.....
PER Nov 7, 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
Jan 21, 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 26, 2015
Passport Req..
Feb 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 24, 2015
LANDED..........
Mar 9, 2015
screech339 said:
I don't not have the numbers but why are the furor over "intend to reside" clause during the citizenship application. That's sounds like they want to leave Canada while application is in process and only come back for test and oath. Again actions speaks louder than words.
I dont know whats the reach of that "intend to reside"... I guess is only during the months while the citizenship application is in progress because after the oath they can move wherever they want..

98% of the people I know stay here after the oath, why would one go back to the country that we have lots of reasons to leave in the first place?

I got friends wanting their citizenship to go in an adventure of 4-5 years traveling the world with a backpack before having kids while they are young without risking their PR status for example.. Everyone has different reasons, that doesn't mean they wont never come back..

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
Leon said:
Make sense.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
gaby8 said:
It is somewhat common for people who feel they can get a better job else but need a Canadian passport to get the opportunity (like a TN visa to the USA). Also, apparently, a Canadian passport will enable you better opportunities to work in the UAE than not having one if you are not from a developed country - someone can be employed in the same job and just what passport they have will change how much they get paid (it's why IRCC scrutinizes Citizenship applicants who have a lot of work and travel in the UAE)