+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BREAKING NEWS Bill C-6 finally passed in HoC, Now reading in Senate

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
Loulou79 said:
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/citizenship-revocation-trudeau-harper-1.3795733
After reading this article anybody can understand that a politician is a politician is a politician.

We should not believe on their words they are saying something and doing something else and this minister of immigration is a puppet in the culprit bureaucratic hands

vop

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
links18 said:
Honeymoon over, huh?
I'm sure these Liberals will come around in 2 years asking for money(they do it every day now) and votes. I'm sure they will get their reply. After all, if Chris Alexander (of all people) today said that his Barbaric Tipline was a mistake and yet, the Liberals are tone deaf to immigrants, Atlantic Canada, Vets, young voters, then, am hopeful they wont see corridors of power after 2019. Most immigrants that I know wanted the NDP but switched Liberal because they just wanted to get rid of Harper. I'm sure if this is how the Liberals intend to govern, then, people will see no difference between the conservatives and the Liberals and will shift to the NDP. People on the left were upset at the NDP because it had switched to the middle under Mulcair though to be fair, his platform was very progressive in spite of the rhetoric. If ranked ballot comes in, I'm very sure the Liberals will be out despite what the pundits are saying that it will benefit the Liberals. There arent that many red tories out there except for those in ON and Atlantic Canada. The tories out West would never vote for the Liberals or even rank it second and that is, even if they wanted to get rid of the NDP. After all, AB voted a progressive govt but it was NDP. Many have never forgiven the NEP of the 80s and now, the carbon tax added to that when the economy is reeling, I just dont see it. Brad Wall would be a good conservative candidate, moderate, welcoming of immigrants but not sure if he will try.

If however, the current system stays, people will vote NDP and while they may not get a majority, neither will the Liberals. I know Liberals like to point at the current state of the polls. In 2012, 1 year after the conservatives majority, they were riding high too and then, it went all downhill from there. So they started doing things to please their rabid base even more with things like C-24, C-51 etc...Things change on a dime in politics. And every single immigrant voter that I know whom the conservatives made wait for an extra 3 or 4 years to get their citizenship were so livid that they and their families voted against them. I'm sure a lot of new immigrants would never forgive the conservatives any time soon for C-24. Liberals had an opportunity with C-6 to solidify their base but their inexplicable foot dragging leaves one wondering.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
vop said:
I'm sure these Liberals will come around in 2 years asking for money(they do it every day now) and votes. I'm sure they will get their reply. After all, if Chris Alexander (of all people) today said that his Barbaric Tipline was a mistake and yet, the Liberals are tone deaf to immigrants, Atlantic Canada, Vets, young voters, then, am hopeful they wont see corridors of power after 2019. Most immigrants that I know wanted the NDP but switched Liberal because they just wanted to get rid of Harper. I'm sure if this is how the Liberals intend to govern, then, people will see no difference between the conservatives and the Liberals and will shift to the NDP. People on the left were upset at the NDP because it had switched to the middle under Mulcair though to be fair, his platform was very progressive in spite of the rhetoric. If ranked ballot comes in, I'm very sure the Liberals will be out despite what the pundits are saying that it will benefit the Liberals. There arent that many red tories out there except for those in ON and Atlantic Canada. The tories out West would never vote for the Liberals or even rank it second and that is, even if they wanted to get rid of the NDP. After all, AB voted a progressive govt but it was NDP. Many have never forgiven the NEP of the 80s and now, the carbon tax added to that when the economy is reeling, I just dont see it. Brad Wall would be a good conservative candidate, moderate, welcoming of immigrants but not sure if he will try.

If however, the current system stays, people will vote NDP and while they may not get a majority, neither will the Liberals. I know Liberals like to point at the current state of the polls. In 2012, 1 year after the conservatives majority, they were riding high too and then, it went all downhill from there. So they started doing things to please their rabid base even more with things like C-24, C-51 etc...Things change on a dime in politics. And every single immigrant voter that I know whom the conservatives made wait for an extra 3 or 4 years to get their citizenship were so livid that they and their families voted against them. I'm sure a lot of new immigrants would never forgive the conservatives any time soon for C-24. Liberals had an opportunity with C-6 to solidify their base but their inexplicable foot dragging leaves one wondering.
An extra 3 to 4 years?? They need to work on their math. The most extra time they had to wait is 2 years from 3/4 rule to 4/6 rule. Not sure where they got extra 3-4 years.

Natan

May 22, 2015
screech339 said:
An extra 3 to 4 years?? They need to work on their math. The most extra time they had to wait is 2 years from 3/4 rule to 4/6 rule. Not sure where they got extra 3-4 years.
TRP time no longer counts toward the residency requirement and can cost an applicant one year, under the new rules.

Because a citizen must accumulate half a year of each calendar year to qualify for citizenship, an applicant whose residency begins in the second half of the year might require an additional year to meet this new requirement.

Added together, this can increase the time to meeting the residency requirement by an additional year or two. Perhaps vop is not the one who needs to work on their math skills, eh?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Natan said:
TRP time no longer counts toward the residency requirement and can cost an applicant one year, under the new rules.

Because a citizen must accumulate half a year of each calendar year to qualify for citizenship, an applicant whose residency begins in the second half of the year might require an additional year to meet this new requirement.

Added together, this can increase the time to meeting the residency requirement by an additional year or two. Perhaps vop is not the one who needs to work on their math skills, eh?
Are you saying a person who landed in Dec 2012 cannot apply for citizenship in Dec 2016? That's 4 years after landing.

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
screech339 said:
Are you saying a person who landed in Dec 2012 cannot apply for citizenship in Dec 2016? That's 4 years after landing.
You need to work on your Maths, that person will only be eligible to apply earliest in July 2017 provided he does not leave the country at all. The requirements is at least 183 days in every "calendar year" on top of the 4 years physical presence in Canada.

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
screech339 said:
Yes he is not eligible on Dec 2016, and the worst case scenario is for a person to arrive in Canada on 3 July, 2012. He would only be available to apply for Citizenship on 2 July 2017, which is in fact 5 years of physical residence because of the "183 days in every calendar year". This is very unfair to those immigrants because if he knew the law by the time he immigrated, he could just go 1 day earlier and be eligible in 1 year less. Somebody should sue on this.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
deerestlovelybear said:
Yes he is not eligible on Dec 2016, and the worst case scenario is for a person to arrive in Canada on 3 July, 2012. He would only be available to apply for Citizenship on 2 July 2017, which is in fact 5 years of physical residence because of the "183 days in every calendar year". This is very unfair to those immigrants because if he knew the law by the time he immigrated, he could just go 1 day earlier and be eligible in 1 year less. Somebody should sue on this.
Sue based on what? People throw around lawsuit threats so frivolously. Are you going to sue the government for changing their laws? Good luck with that one.

The laws were changed for a reason. The calendar year requirement was likely introduced becuase of the need to produce tax returns at the time of filing your citizenship application, and as you may know, taxes are done on a calendar year basis. So, if you are in the country for less than 183 days, you may be considered a non-resident and wouldn't need to file your taxes. So, there is obviously some logic behind this and not just some giant conspiracy by the Canadian government to deprive people of citizenship or to inconvenience immigrants.

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
deerestlovelybear said:
You need to work on your Maths, that person will only be eligible to apply earliest in July 2017 provided he does not leave the country at all. The requirements is at least 183 days in every "calendar year" on top of the 4 years physical presence in Canada.
This is very weird. By you argument, you are saying that no-one is able to submit a citizenship application from January to July in a given year, because they have not yet satisfied the the 183 minimum for the year of that application. However, if you look at the Citizenship forum there are plenty of people with Jan to Jul AORs.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
deadbird said:
This is very weird. By you argument, you are saying that no-one is able to submit a citizenship application from January to July in a given year, because they have not yet satisfied the the 183 minimum for the year of that application. However, if you look at the Citizenship forum there are plenty of people with Jan to Jul AORs.
Why not? If they have been in Canada for more than 4 years but didn't decided to apply until a couple of years later, then they should have no problem applying at any time of the year

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
itsmyid said:
Why not? If they have been in Canada for more than 4 years but didn't decided to apply until a couple of years later, then they should have no problem applying at any time of the year
So in other words, an earlier post about having to wait an extra 3-4 years is BS when at worst it's really an extra 1-2 years from 3/4 rule to 4/6 rule.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
deerestlovelybear said:
Guess what. I ran the online calculator according to it, a person who landed in Dec 2012 can in fact qualify for citizenship Dec 2016. I really don't see any case whereby I had to wait an extra 1-2 years on top of the 4 year minimum requirement. If anyone needs to do the math, it's those who thinks they had to wait an extra 3-4 years. The most they have to wait is an extra 2 years.

The only people who has to wait an extra 2 years are those who rely on pre-PR credit. Nothing more.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Natan said:

BTW, I ran the online calculator and according to it, a person landed in dec 2012 can qualify for citizenship in dec 2016. That's 4 years after landing. No BS about having to wait an extra 1-2 year due to 183 minimum days per calendar year.

Run the online calendar year yourself and you will see that the most people will wait extra from 3/4 to 4/6 rule is 2 years. Not 3-4 years.

So it is not me that need the math skills. It's those who claim to wait an extra 3-4 years due to new 4/6 rule.

DirectEnergy

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
screech339 said:
BTW, I ran the online calculator and according to it, a person landed in dec 2012 can qualify for citizenship in dec 2016. That's 4 years after landing. No BS about having to wait an extra 1-2 year due to 183 minimum days per calendar year.

Run the online calendar year yourself and you will see that the most people will wait extra from 3/4 to 4/6 rule is 2 years. Not 3-4 years.

So it is not me that need the math skills. It's those who claim to wait an extra 3-4 years due to new 4/6 rule.
You didn't run the calculator properly. You just calculated the days of physical presence. Scroll down where it says "Select 'Continue' if you would like to know when you will meet both the 1460 days requirement and the 183 days requirement, taking into account time spent serving a sentence and absences" and see for yourself. Whoever lands in December (even in August) loses all the days for that year for the purposes of citizenship according to the current law.