+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BREAKING NEWS Bill C-6 finally passed in HoC, Now reading in Senate

raisemyrent

Star Member
Feb 13, 2013
willzou said:
I start to submit my application for immigration in 2006.
They kept me waiting until 2011. I got my visa finally.

then I landed in 2012, I have to wait 4 years to get eligibility to apply for citizenship.
so 2016 , 10 years later, I am still waiting for eligibility.
(I take responsibility for 1 year between 2011 and 2012, I did not land as soon as I got visa, as the process was so slow and unpredicatble, I engaged with degree study, )

So my best time of one life , 10 years , was contributed to the slow process.

If I have chance to choose again from the start, I would not choose this road. Now I am old, invest toomuch, can not give up with inputing so many time and money, energy.
Blame some body.
I'm at 13 years and counting. Student 2003-2007, then 2 year work permit (back then a pilot programme). Then applied for PR once sometime in 08-09, or maybe 09-10, then they changed the rules (cons) halfway and I got it back (needed english test even though I went to school here etc, but I do not argue against testing), so application returned. Then wrote the test etc and sent it in, but dragged my feet and test was not valid anymore, so retested... etc reapplied and became PR n 2014.
So for me, to be told that I haven't lived here long enough to be Canadian is a kick in the... I have studied, worked, contributed in many ways, and started a family here (with a local I guess). We say we are Canadian when abroad and do not specify. I honestly forget my passport is from abroad. But that doesn't make it anymore ridiculous.
I monitor this bill because I think that applying for citizenship in 2018 (15 years after arriving) and getting in 2019 is a farse.
But hey, goal posts move. Moral: don't drag your feet ever because you will kick yourself (if I had done everything as soon as possible, I would've been able to apply under the old system). It doesn't make a difference in your daily life perhaps, but it sure is annoying.

marky14

Star Member
Aug 4, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcher said:
Looks like I hit a nerve end on your side, and you are discontent. I am not sure why you are making such accusations, I shared my opinions, and I stick to them. I do not expect anyone to change theirs because of me.
If you are not seeing the bigger picture here, then it is not my fault or anyone in the forum. You will never be satisfied with someone's thoughts or opinion unless you are sympathized by other people - don't put it back on me :p. I'm off here, I just want to have fun seeing how you want me or other people agree on you. Going to enjoy the nice weather outside.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
raisemyrent said:
I'm at 13 years and counting. Student 2003-2007, then 2 year work permit (back then a pilot programme). Then applied for PR once sometime in 08-09, or maybe 09-10, then they changed the rules (cons) halfway and I got it back (needed english test even though I went to school here etc, but I do not argue against testing), so application returned. Then wrote the test etc and sent it in, but dragged my feet and test was not valid anymore, so retested... etc reapplied and became PR n 2014.
So for me, to be told that I haven't lived here long enough to be Canadian is a kick in the... I have studied, worked, contributed in many ways, and started a family here (with a local I guess). We say we are Canadian when abroad and do not specify. I honestly forget my passport is from abroad. But that doesn't make it anymore ridiculous.
I monitor this bill because I think that applying for citizenship in 2018 (15 years after arriving) and getting in 2019 is a farse.
But hey, goal posts move. Moral: don't drag your feet ever because you will kick yourself (if I had done everything as soon as possible, I would've been able to apply under the old system). It doesn't make a difference in your daily life perhaps, but it sure is annoying.
I hope your case is resolved soon, that is a long wait. I wanted to point out that in cases such as yours, where you started a family with a Canadian, I find it a bit weird how citizenship law in Canada does not take that into consideration. I am sure other countries have different time frames for spouses of local citizens versus skilled immigrants ..etc.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
raisemyrent said:
I became Canadian after 13 years of working and living full time in Canada. 13 years of paying taxes before I was able to vote. I would not stress about it too much, you will eventually get it. At one point I got obsessed with it leading up to the time I could apply. Then I just said I will let my worries go, live my life, and when it happens, it happens. And it eventually happened. Even sooner than expected. Don't worry, live your life and enjoy when it comes.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
keesio said:
I became Canadian after 13 years of working and living full time in Canada. 13 years of paying taxes before I was able to vote. I will not stress about it too much, you will eventually get it. At one point I got obsessed with it leading up to the time I could apply. Then I just said I will let my worries go, live my life, and when it happens, it happens. And it eventually happened. Even sooner than expected. Don't worry, live your life and enjoy when it comes.
I mean no disrespect to you. But to say it took you 13 years of paying taxes to time of getting citizenship is misleading. The timeline to get citizenship begins when you submitted your citizenship application. Not when you started paying taxes in Canada. By saying that you paid taxes all these years seems to imply you are entitled to citizenship because you paid taxes.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
screech339 said:
I mean no disrespect to you. But to say it took you 13 years of paying taxes to time of getting citizenship is misleading. The timeline to get citizenship begins when you submitted your citizenship application. Not when you started paying taxes in Canada. By saying that you paid taxes all these years seems to imply you are entitled to citizenship because you paid taxes.
Nope, absolutely not. I knew Canada owed me nothing. I came here on a work permit and I understood the stipulations of what that meant and that I am not entitled to PR or citizenship. I did pay taxes all those years before becoming a citizen but it doesn't mean that entitles you to anything.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
keesio said:
Nope, absolutely not. I knew Canada owed me nothing. I came here on a work permit and I understood the stipulations of what that meant and that I am not entitled to PR or citizenship. I did pay taxes all those years before becoming a citizen but it doesn't mean that entitles you to anything.
You are "entitled" to citizenship when you meet the requirements for citizenship promulgated under the law.

AmirATM

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
Well Guys ....Most important thing ..keep us posted about the Bill... i gathered that they will resume discussing it Oct 18.. i wish to get a citizenship one year before that all . I neither love Canada nor hate it .. it has great opportunities and has shit too .. like any other country, its about balancing someone's life style ..to me it is choosing the appropriate time to do the appropriate thing in the appropriate place .. My home country was cool from the time I born to the age of 23 ( I am Algerian originally.. by the way) ..Dubai was cool to be at for almost 15 years ...not any more ...Canada is good for me now ..i don't know how is it gonna be in 5 years form now....and life goes on .. to me the Immigration concept has changed since the 30's there's no more Titanic and dream lands...things has changed.. keep it up guys ..

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
AmirATM said:
i wish to get a citizenship one year before that all . I neither love Canada nor hate it ..
So... You want to get Canada Citizenship but you don't love Canada, eh? :-/
Well, don't ever relate me to that.
Let's be clear: I LOVE CANADA, best country on the planet!
I don't see why someone who doesn't love a country wants its Citizenship... But, that's just me...

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
links18 said:
You are "entitled" to citizenship when you meet the requirements for citizenship promulgated under the law.
You are qualified or have a right to apply for citizenship when you meet the requirements for citizenship under the law. There's a big difference.

vop

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
Isnt this forum supposed to provide details on the status of the bill ? Respectfully, to all those involved, please stay on topic because arguing with each other on who is right/wrong is neither here nor there because everyone has their viewpoints. Its just that when someone tries to access info on the bill, they are forced to read a lot of arguments.

Just as an fyi, I do understand that the liberals can act with more purpose on the bill by appointing the rest of the senators and pushing this hard. Unfortunately, they are not doing it and I would suggest that we make our point in 2019 at the ballot box rather than this back and forth because either way, you will most likely be eligible to vote by 2019 and just remember that neither the conservatives nor the liberals really kept their word. Unlike in the US, where true progressives are stuck with HRC, we have the NDP option here which we can consider in 2019. All that the liberals are pursuing like carbon tax etc, affect way too few people that they have pissed most people to whom things matter, like young people without jobs, immigrants dealing with processing times at the IRCC, veterans, ignoring Atlantic Canada etc. So as you can see, in govt, they are doing what kathleen Wynne did in her second term. Its a shame but this is what happens when you give a govt a full majority.

user3000

Mar 3, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After reading this http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/05/trudeau-may-change-law-to-protect-monsef . Looks like there is rough road ahead for Bill C-6

vop

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
user3000 said:
After reading this http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/05/trudeau-may-change-law-to-protect-monsef . Looks like there is rough road ahead for Bill C-6
Its got nothing to do with the Minister's case. As long as there are 21 vacant seats in the senate, it was always going to be a rough ride. This same senate passed c-24 in 2 days. The minister's case just adds to the lack of purpose on the actions by this government. Then again, appointing the rest of the senators is a no brainer but hey, "I have no idea what they are thinking at the Liberal high command". Maybe another decade without power will teach them. JT did everything he could by promising immigrants in order to get back the immigrant vote that things would be different but now that they have had 1 year, they say the same things that the conservatives say, but instead of saying it with a frown, they say it with a smile.

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
user3000 said:
OMG... That's very bad news... :mad: :'(

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/07/monsef-needs-to-speak-up
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/07/retired-refugee-board-judge-calls-on-monsef-to-release-papers

These 2 articles are even worse.
Monsef's mother seems to have lied about her origins to have more chance of getting her refugee claim accepted.

vnexpress

Jul 2, 2015
MarceauBletard said:
OMG... That's very bad news... :mad: :'(

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/07/monsef-needs-to-speak-up
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/07/retired-refugee-board-judge-calls-on-monsef-to-release-papers

These 2 articles are even worse.
Monsef's mother seems to have lied about her origins to have more chance of getting her refugee claim accepted.
You're reading from The Sun, hired by the Conservatives. :p
This is more serious to read:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/revoke-citizenship-misrepresent-birth-1.3797283