+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Indeed. Bill C-44 is more important to the government than Bill C-6.
While it is in principle, I don't now how you can compare the 2 bills as it pertains to stages. Is it because the article put bill C-44 before C-6?
C-44 first reading was on 2017-04-11 and second reading on 2017-05-09 (at HoC); C-6 on the other hand is near its final stage. So, what is your angle here?

pkin007

Star Member
May 26, 2017
Indeed. Bill C-44 is more important to the government than Bill C-6.[/
While it is in principle, I don't now how you can compare the 2 bills as it pertains to stages. Is it because the article put bill C-44 before C-6?
C-44 first reading was on 2017-04-11 and second reading on 2017-05-09 (at HoC); C-6 on the other hand is near its final stage. So, what is your angle here?
The article says that bill c-44 is top priority..that's why earlier post said so...

Having said that its wrong to compare two bill in first place..2 very diff pieces of legislation and diff reasons for one having priority over other ..yeah everyone here would love to have c6 have top priority but that doesn't mean govt will function way we want it to..again let's be patient this news is good in the senses govt is still on course to make this bill into law before the close for business for summer.

pkin007

Star Member
May 26, 2017
practice medicine in canada.. if i go to the usa to get my degree before my citizenship, my PR will surely expire as i need 6 yrs plus to get the degree.. and canada does not let you practice medicine unless you are a pr/citizen.. many PRs are in the same boat as me.. getting a medical residency in canada is impossible for foreign graduates unless you wanna be a family doc, which I dont.... so many like me and my wife go south, get a degree and come back here.... but without a citizenship you are stuck in a limbo... i am lucky that i will be able to apply soon even with the 4/6 before my medical residency in the usa starts.. my wife needs the 3/5 to qualify.. but at least she can renew her PR indefinitely as long she is with me and i am a citizen....unless of course the tories scratch that too...

every person will have his own reason.. point is 3/5 has served canada well historically.. 4/6 is not making it any better.. so what the heck... just change it back anyway.. everyone wants to get citizenship faster... cant imagine anybody preferring to wait 1 extra year...
Question for you..so you are saying you came to Canada on a PR as a family doc and now u want citizenship so that u can go to USA get ur degree and come back and practice in Canada again albeit in a diff specialization

sbag_in

Jul 15, 2014
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-MARCH, 2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
14-MAY(aor1) / 31-JUL(aor2)
File Transfer...
15-JULY, 2014, IP- OCT-30
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-JAN, 2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
received on : 10TH NOV, 2014
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015
Question for you..so you are saying you came to Canada on a PR as a family doc and now u want citizenship so that u can go to USA in get ur degree and come back and practice in Canada again albeit in a diff specialization
no...i came to canada as an international medical graduate. i have just completed my med school. have not done any specialization yet. same for my wife.. want to go to the usa in 2019 and complete our degrees in the next 6 years. my dad who is a canadian citizen sponsored me in 2009. i came here when I was 18.. got my PR. went back to complete my medical school and came back here in 2014 before my PR expired. i have been here since.. i sponsored my wife the same year. she came to canada in 2015. now we want to go to usa, complete our education and come back to Toronto.

funny thing is, i have met 6 people in the same boat as me in the toronto libraries near my home.. imagine how many there are if you consider the whole of canada. the pathway I am taking is very popular among foreign medical graduates.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Question for you..so you are saying you came to Canada on a PR as a family doc and now u want citizenship so that u can go to USA get ur degree and come back and practice in Canada again albeit in a diff specialization
Or you can read his post again , it should answer your question...

sbag_in

Jul 15, 2014
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-MARCH, 2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-JAN, 2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015
I met a lot of doctors who went in that avenue but need to gp through a lot of hoowee to practice. One said "they didn't want to trust her getting her degree in NYC."
Goodluck!
it is time consuming but not any harder than getting a residency in the USA..its not such a big deal for me.. i just have to take 3 canadian exams and get pass marks to get my LMCC license. no need to score high. (i am almost done with the usa exams anyway)... then with that license i can continue my medical education in USA indefinitely.. people try residencies and fellowships i Canada.. simply not feasible...That is where they fail.. also i am relatively young.. have no kids and no economic responsibilities except my own.. every person is different i believe.. anyway we are digressing. back to c6. cheers

DrCaYeBh

Dec 17, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-07-2015
no...i came to canada as an international medical graduate. i have just completed my med school. have not done any specialization yet. same for my wife.. want to go to the usa in 2019 and complete our degrees in the next 6 years. my dad who is a canadian citizen sponsored me in 2009. i came here when I was 18.. got my PR. went back to complete my medical school and came back here in 2014 before my PR expired. i have been here since.. i sponsored my wife the same year. she came to canada in 2015. now we want to go to usa, complete our education and come back to Toronto.

funny thing is, i have met 6 people in the same boat as me in the toronto libraries near my home.. imagine how many there are if you consider the whole of canada. the pathway I am taking is very popular among foreign medical graduates.
I am on the same boat as sbag_in (very very similar stories), while I am sitting the Canadian licensing exams and will make every effort to do my specialization here in Canada, the reality is spots are very limited in Canada for international medical graduates and most of them are in family medicine like sbag_in already said. I am interested in a different specialty, and if I want to continue my training I have better chances in the US but I don't want to lose my PR in the process as I want to come back to Canada and practice here.

sbag_in

Jul 15, 2014
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-MARCH, 2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-JAN, 2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015
I am on the same boat as sbag_in (very very similar stories), while I am sitting the Canadian licensing exams and will make every effort to do my specialization here in Canada, the reality is spots are very limited in Canada for international medical graduates and most of them are in family medicine like sbag_in already said. I am interested in a different specialty, and if I want to continue my training I have better chances in the US but I don't want to lose my PR in the process as I want to come back to Canada and practice here.
whaaa... that was fast... knew there were people like me in here.. all the best to you my friend... wish you success...

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
Don't see anything about C-6 in the projected order of business

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

sbag_in

Jul 15, 2014
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-MARCH, 2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-JAN, 2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015
i was wondering about the same thing...
They mentioned, they gonna discuss C-6 this week in HoC. The projected order is only Projected! So, we shouldn't fully rely on it.

sbag_in

Jul 15, 2014
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-MARCH, 2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-JAN, 2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015
They mentioned, they gonna discuss C-6 this week in HoC. The projected order is only Projected! So, we shouldn't fully rely on it.
spyfy updated earlier that b. chagger said c6 will be discussed today. that must mean it will be... would be nice if we could have any idea about the time though... that is why i was going through the POB... lets just wait I guess...