spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi spyfy,
Thanks for the info. Though i don't agree on at least one about government not hiring PRs. I myself have appeared for job interviews for OPS and have not faced any issue. Though there might be some jobs which specifically have a citizenship requirement so maybe you are right.
Here is an example of an email that I got after applying for a government job:

If your citizenship status remains the same and will not change by XXXXXXXX to a Canadian citizen:
We regret to inform you that your candidacy cannot be retained at this time given the significant number of applications received from Canadian citizens.
As indicated on the job advertisement, “Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order”
Should there be an insufficient number of qualified candidates among Canadian citizens who applied during the current campaign, non-Canadian citizens may be considered.
The regulations are similar for many job postings by the government, particularly the well-paying ones. They finish with the sentence “Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order”

pkin007

Star Member
May 26, 2017
Here is an example of an email that I got after applying for a government job:

The regulations are similar for many job postings by the government, particularly the well-paying ones. They finish with the sentence “Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order”

Interesting..first time I cam across this. Thanks for clarifying.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
There even are some high-security clearance jobs, where citizens are not just treated preferentially, but citizenship is an outright requirement, e.g. work for CSIS.

pkin007

Star Member
May 26, 2017
Yeah knew about that one..and also about the fact that u need about 5 years of post PR time to get a security clearance in Canada unless your employer seeks special exemptions or so i was told. Not digressing from topic on hand though..the way forward is going to take time, time for govt to digest the courts ruling, then to incorporate the same in the bill or maybe they exclude the amendment all together and say that since courts have ruled the need for the amendment is not needed in case of revocations..either way there is still some way to go in my humble opinion and we can keep pressuring the people in power via twitter or facebook they will ultimately take a call once they feel they are ready to discuss and put a credible way forward for the bill in Hoc and subsequently through senate.

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
See eveyone got his/her own reason
Things to do while waiting . . . study.

Just screen captured the online flashcards and created a hardcopy pdf to print out "real" flash cards from here http://citizenshipcounts.ca/flashcards/

How tricky do people find this test overall? Is it "multiple-guess"? No pressure, but see this note: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=361&top=5

Cheers, M
I have heard they gonna even change the book to make it simpler. Am I right?

Last edited:

dindon

Jun 13, 2013
Just a question guys once the bill c6 passed the sena , when does the bill is going to be apprved as a law ? That we can apply and accounting our credit with work permit status before Pr , Any one knows estimation date that will come to action ?

Marooned2

Star Member
May 18, 2017
Just a question guys once the bill c6 passed the sena , when does the bill is going to be apprved as a law ? That we can apply and accounting our credit with work permit status before Pr , Any one knows estimation date that will come to action ?
That's the million dollar question. Check other facts only post on C-6. Nobody knows for sure.

RanRan

Star Member
Mar 9, 2017
There is a lot of posts about this earlier in this thread.
- One of many differences is that the Government hires Citizens before PRs. I was recently refused a government job because I'm not a citizen.
- Also there is elections in Ontario next year which I wouldn't mind being able to vote in.
- Also many jobs require you to travel a lot which is tricky if you have the RO of a Permanent Resident.
- This one doesn't apply to me at the moment, but if you are not a citizen and you are abroad temporarily for a job, if your child is born out of country you would have to sponsor that child for PR. If you are a citizen, your child is simply Canadian.
- Depending on the country of your current citizenship, getting a visa for many countries is much trickier than with Canadian citizenship.
Right,

1- Jobs with 40% travel- go for it
2- No visa's waiting time, disappointment of rejection, and fees
3- A cold week- fly to Dubai, a short vacation of 5 days- spend it in Paris!

sbag_in

Jul 15, 2014
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-MARCH, 2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
14-MAY(aor1) / 31-JUL(aor2)
File Transfer...
15-JULY, 2014, IP- OCT-30
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
29-JAN, 2014
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
and D.M. on NOV-3, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
received on : 10TH NOV, 2014
LANDED..........
Jan -18, 2015
- Jobs with 40% travel- go for it
practice medicine in canada.. if i go to the usa to get my degree before my citizenship, my PR will surely expire as i need 6 yrs plus to get the degree.. and canada does not let you practice medicine unless you are a pr/citizen.. many PRs are in the same boat as me.. getting a medical residency in canada is impossible for foreign graduates unless you wanna be a family doc, which I dont.... so many like me and my wife go south, get a degree and come back here.... but without a citizenship you are stuck in a limbo... i am lucky that i will be able to apply soon even with the 4/6 before my medical residency in the usa starts.. my wife needs the 3/5 to qualify.. but at least she can renew her PR indefinitely as long she is with me and i am a citizen....unless of course the tories scratch that too...

every person will have his own reason.. point is 3/5 has served canada well historically.. 4/6 is not making it any better.. so what the heck... just change it back anyway.. everyone wants to get citizenship faster... cant imagine anybody preferring to wait 1 extra year...

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Right,

1- Jobs with 40% travel- go for it
I have literally no clue what you are trying to say with your post. And I am using the word "literally" in the correct sense here.

alwayspositive

Aug 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6/2011
Doc's Request.
7/2013