+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
vasyok said:
Do you know any senate rule that gives him an authority to do it? The speaker has almost zero "power" - even his rulings on points of order can be overturned by the vote in senate.
Ok. Seems like you have no power as well. So why come here? C-6 news will be delivered to you by CBC when passed or not.

Its not exactly about power(some even say Senate has less power, but we see a Govt bill hanging in there for almost 1 year). They do have power, as does the speaker to influence things.

It is time to start putting pressure on leadership of senate.

ALL, EMAIL SPEAKER OF SENATE - RESPECTFULLY - ASK HIM TO PUT C-6 TO VOTE AS IT HAS BEEN ALMOST A YEAR.

Speaker-President@sen.parl.gc.ca
CC: peter.harder@sen.parl.gc.ca , elaine.mccoy@sen.parl.gc.ca

Honourable Speaker George J. Furey,

Babayaro

Jun 30, 2016
lilen said:
vacation*
Yep u are right..

1 year 12 month but not for senators. They work 2 months of 1 year and get pay their whole life and other bonuses. Minor dictatorship. appointed have power over elected.

vasyok

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
quasar81 said:
Ok. Seems like you have no power as well. So why come here? C-6 news will be delivered to you by CBC when passed or not.

Its not exactly about power(some even say Senate has less power, but we see a Govt bill hanging in there for almost 1 year). They do have power, as does the speaker to influence things.

It is time to start putting pressure on leadership of senate.

ALL, EMAIL SPEAKER OF SENATE - RESPECTFULLY - ASK HIM TO PUT C-6 TO VOTE AS IT HAS BEEN ALMOST A YEAR.

Speaker-President@sen.parl.gc.ca
CC: peter.harder@sen.parl.gc.ca , elaine.mccoy@sen.parl.gc.ca

Honourable Speaker George J. Furey,

Try to be a little bit less aggressive ;) The things they can/cannot do are governed by the rules of the senate. I posted a while ago the list of motions that can be moved during the debate - there is no motion 'let's vote now' on that list. Since it's the government bill, they can allocate the specific amount of time for this bill (once they run out of that time - they have to vote). However, it's the job of the representative of the government to do it, not the job of the speaker. If the libs wanted to pass it asap - they would do it months ago.

I am afraid that bugging the speaker over the things that he cannot control might turn him against this bill, and I don't think that we can afford to lose any 'yea' votes now. It'd be much better to email the gov representative and the sponsor of the bill --- the people who should be "responsible" for pushing it through.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
spyfy said:
You clearly don't know what you are talking about. The independent count includes - among others:
- the official representative of the Liberal Government in the Senate
- the sponsor of bill C-6, Ratna Omidvar
- the proponent of the amendment, Elaine McCoy
- many Senators who have been appointed by Liberal Prime Ministers.

Please also compare the list of Senators (can be found on Wikipedia) to the list of people who voted in favour and against adjournment this Thursday. You will see that many independents vote with the Senate Liberals.

Also note that the Senate Liberals are - as of 2014 - not even affiliated with the Liberal Government or the Liberal Caucus in the House of Commons anymore.
What you've just listed is independents who side with the libs, so what exactly is your point? What you've said validates my point. I've looked through the list and I've followed this during every sitting. You blow my mind - absolutely no point or substance to your comment.

asifmehmood

May 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2008
Doc's Request.
Aug 2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with docs
File Transfer...
April 2011
Med's Request
Nov 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 2012
Passport Req..
31/01/13, received at LVO 04/02/13
VISA ISSUED...
25/02/13
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
jsm0085 said:
What you've just listed is independents who side with the libs, so what exactly is your point? What you've said validates my point. I've looked through the list and I've followed this during every sitting. You blow my mind - absolutely no point or substance to your comment.
The numbers would most likely corresponds to Yeh /Ney that we witnessed in the last session of Senate, in my opinion. B+

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
jsm0085 said:
I was responding to your post saying: "Cons and independs are together - making them the majority. That's already pre determined." (which in turn was your reply to my claim that the Conservatives don't have a majority) So you were saying they have a majority as if the independents are with the cons. I was pointing out that the ISG is a split group with different political views. So to say Cons and Independents are together is not correct.

That was my point.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
spyfy said:
I was responding to your post saying: "Cons and independs are together - making them the majority. That's already pre determined." (which in turn was your reply to my claim that the Conservatives don't have a majority) So you were saying they have a majority as if the independents are with the cons. I was pointing out that the ISG is a split group with different political views. So to say Cons and Independents are together is not correct.

That was my point.
Bottom line - this vote is going through and it's going through for the reasons I've stated.

JasFer

Mar 6, 2017
Sen. Mobina Jaffer Retweeted
Peter Harder‏
Verified account
@SenHarder 1h
1 hour ago

Replying to @SenJaffer @msuhailwaterloo @ratnaomi
We are using all the tools at our disposal to pass Bill C-6 before Easter

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Apologies - total typo. I meant the libs and independents are together.

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
Politicians and their promises ::)

They said it would pass before canada day 2016 , then before January 2017 , a couple of weeks before they said before july 2017 now before easter .

People want actions period. They'd better actually start taking actions because don't get me wrong but Sen Harder came out of the shadow recently for bill c6 . They were all on mute for a while .
They can pass it very quickly should they want to . However promises are promises , nothing is guaranteed , i wouldn't place much hopes on those tweets , here just to calm people down and raise hopes .
At this stage , even passing it before easter , would only be a relief not even a surprise anymore since the bill has been stuck there for almost a year .

People need actions and RESULTS .

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
Unfortunately, I have no twitter. I would suggest someone to ask her to stop giving us false hopes as she is changing her mind every week.

I think she is using this tactic to calm us down till the bill is forgotten.

MonzB

Nov 28, 2016
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NOVA SCOTIA
App. Filed.......
November 1, 2017
as they say, "promises are made to make fool happy" very sad but it's starting to seem as tho that statement is true... :(

lilen

Star Member
Nov 22, 2016
sen.mobina jaffer retweet 1h ago @ senat, c6 is going to pass HOPEFULLY before christmas 2026, finger crossed guys, looooll

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
Whocares said:
Unfortunately, I have no twitter. I would suggest someone to ask her to stop giving us false hopes as she is changing her mind every week.

I think she is using this tactic to calm us down till the bill is forgotten.
I don't think she is changing her mind weekly. I think she (well, Liberals at large actually!) means well, and is eager to get this bill passed, but lacks the requisite expertise to move this to a conclusion!

The PM needs to get some experienced hands working on this bill behind the scenes ASAP if he is to salvage his own; his government's; and his party's reputation from total ruin!