+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The bill will receive 3rd reading tonight, and then it will be sent to senate, where the minister will appear in front of a committee. lets assume it passed first reading in the senate by friday/monday. 2nd reading early next week and then the committee will conduct clause by clause review. then its report stage and 3rd reading.
it is certain that the bill will pass through senate no later than 2 weeks. and royal assent is fairly quick after 3rd reading in senate. Thus, bill c-24 will become law on the week of june 23, but i am guessing no later than june 29.
nothing the opposition can do to slow the process.
now you know politician r liars, cuz Chris Alexandria said clearly when he appeared in the house committee that he expected the bill will pass by the end of this year. now its only june, and the bill is already passing.
its horrified to know what will happen after the new bill become effective. it gives the minister/CIC much more power and in the future they can use their new power anyway they want. Most of legal expert said not much legal process can stop the government from abusing their power. i am worried, and i feel shame for this government

citizenshiper

Jun 4, 2014
I do not understand why ppl say it is just about waiting for ONE additional year. It should actually be TWO.

Suppose one just qualifies for application now. Then s/he must have stayed 3 yrs = 2 post PR yrs + 2 pre PR yrs x 0.5

Now all the pre-PR days does not count, so the person would only have 2 yrs on hand. Under the new law, s/he would need an additional 2 yrs to accumulate the required days.

Let me know if anywhere is wrong.

u4g5 said:
In conclusion.
if u can file the application by this month, do it ASAP
otherwise, wait until next year!and make sure you dont leave the country for more than 6 month in a calender year.

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
citizenshiper said:
I do not understand why ppl say it is just about waiting for ONE additional year. It should actually be TWO.

Suppose one just qualifies for application now. Then s/he must have stayed 3 yrs = 2 post PR yrs + 2 pre PR yrs x 0.5

Now all the pre-PR days does not count, so the person would only have 2 yrs on hand. Under the new law, s/he would need an additional 2 yrs to accumulate the required days.

Absolutely correct! Maybe those people don't talk about Pre-PR cases.

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
u4g5 said:
The bill will receive 3rd reading tonight, and then it will be sent to senate, where the minister will appear in front of a committee. lets assume it passed first reading in the senate by friday/monday. 2nd reading early next week and then the committee will conduct clause by clause review. then its report stage and 3rd reading.
it is certain that the bill will pass through senate no later than 2 weeks. and royal assent is fairly quick after 3rd reading in senate. Thus, bill c-24 will become law on the week of june 23, but i am guessing no later than june 29.
nothing the opposition can do to slow the process.
now you know politician r liars, cuz Chris Alexandria said clearly when he appeared in the house committee that he expected the bill will pass by the end of this year. now its only june, and the bill is already passing.
its horrified to know what will happen after the new bill become effective. it gives the minister/CIC much more power and in the future they can use their new power anyway they want. Most of legal expert said not much legal process can stop the government from abusing their power. i am worried, and i feel shame for this government
I really doubt it ... Adding to that .. the last Day for Senate is 27th of June and there is no sitting as for 23rd and 24th! so Basically they have 10 business days left starting from Tomorrow!

OrangeCup

Star Member
Feb 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
citizenshiper said:

You are absolutely right. For those applicants who didn't have any time on as pre-PR it's 1 additional year, for others that did have pre-PR time it's additional 2 years. So essentially people who spent less time in Canada will now wait less than people who lived in Canada longer. I know it's messed up. We tried hard for the last 6 months to bring it up to attention of MPs (preprtimecounts.com) including presenting in front of CIMM, but the amendment to calculate pre-PR time was rejected.

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
OrangeCup said:
You are absolutely right. For those applicants who didn't have any time on as pre-PR it's 1 additional year, for others that did have pre-PR time it's additional 2 years. So essentially people who spent less time in Canada will now wait less than people who lived in Canada longer. I know it's messed up. We tried hard for the last 6 months to bring it up to attention of MPs (preprtimecounts.com) including presenting in front of CIMM, but the amendment to calculate pre-PR time was rejected.
It is unfair for people who have been working as Foreign workers and paid taxes like others and people who waited 2 and 3 years for their Permanent residency application to be asked to wait more now!. I cant see how people who just came to the country can be the same of people who lived years before obtaining their PR status! adding to that PR applications processing time was random ... people who had long applications processing time before and as a result took them longer to be PRs .. now have to wait more for their citizenship application! I remember when I applied they promised to finalize the application in 6-12 months .. it took them more than 2 years finalize my PR application while I was working here and paying Taxes! They can increase the residency requirement if they want to 4 years .. that make scenes .. but eliminating all the time that people have been living here paying taxes and waiting for their long PR applications to be finalized is completely unfair!

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Whoa ! Whoa !

Go Rocco ! he knows his stuff big time.... and love the quote about "....barbers trying to perform brain surgery......"

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
sicko86 said:
It is unfair for people who have been working as Foreign workers and paid taxes like others and people who waited 2 and 3 years for their Permanent residency application to be asked to wait more now!. I cant see how people who just came to the country can be the same of people who lived years before obtaining their PR status! adding to that PR applications processing time was random ... people who had long applications processing time before and as a result took them longer to be PRs .. now have to wait more for their citizenship application! I remember when I applied they promised to finalize the application in 6-12 months .. it took them more than 2 years finalize my PR application while I was working here and paying Taxes! They can increase the residency requirement if they want to 4 years .. that make scenes .. but eliminating all the time that people have been living here paying taxes and waiting for their long PR applications to be finalized is completely unfair!
Paying taxes does not entitle you to citizenship.

May 22, 2014
torontosm said:
While it does not, taxation without representation is not fair or right. PR's cannot vote but are taxed. They cannot have a say in how their tax dollars are spent. I am sure the Minister would have a different attitude towards the bill if PR's had the right to vote. Also a lot of Conservative MP's would pay attention as they would surely know that many of their constituents will not be in support or voting for them due to their support for the bill. Their actions or behavior would surely be different.

I believe this is unfair. I don't expect that people on work permits or students should be able to vote (as the nature of their visa states it is temporary) BUT i do expect a PERMANENT resident of Canada to be able to vote.

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
torontosm said:
This is not the point I am trying to deliver .. I am saying that people who have been working since years as Foreign working waiting their multiple years PR application to be finalized and paying taxes ... can't be on the same page as people with people who just came to Canada.

Australia, Many European Countries count the total number of years in which you have been residing legally in it .. with a minimum time required to be a Permanent resident from that total (Australia - 4 years total required with 1 year as PR)! for example Living 5 years in Canada and being PR after then waiting another 4 years cant be the same as someone who just landed as PR from outside Canada .. lived for 4 years and then applied for citizenship.

May 22, 2014
I have been a silent observer here, but felt I should chime in with my 2 cents.

I liken the new bill to parents with 2 kids who out of the love of their heart adopt a child. This means the new kid is part of the family and bears the name of the family and the other 2 siblings are his brother and sister. The parents will love all their children (biological and adopted) equally.

If years into the future as the family grows and the adopted kid "misbehaves" i.e stealing from the house to buy a new pair of shoes or sneaking out of the house, taking the family car for a party and wrecking the car in the process, I am sure the parents will discipline that child as they would their own biological children.

What you will not see is these parents look to send the child back to the adoption agency. Neither will the parents have 2 sets of rules for their kids with the same DNA and the adopted child. They will treat them all equally.

Canada is like the parent. Canadians who are born here are like biological children. Naturalized Canadians are like the adopted children. We are all equal. We all bear the same surname. We should all be treated the same. No 2 tier family member. i.e I can't disown my biological son or daughter if they misbehaves (crime) or gets in an argument with me (speak against the govt)....or leave the house and wants to live on their own away from home (intent to reside) and only call when they need money (Canadian of convenience).

But I sure can disown my adopted child if they do any of that and cut them off?

This is what the Canadian govt is trying to do. Create an unequal Canadian citizen. Even a natural born Canadian is the offspring of an immigrant (4-5 generations down the line). We need to be careful not to allow politics to change the fact we are humans.

I am sure everyone in parliament (Conservatives, NDP, Liberals etc) all love and care about Canada. The issue is that while the Conservatives do love and want what is best for Canada, this bill is not the right approach in doing so.

It is that simple.

kevikennedy

May 13, 2014
torontosm said:
This chatboard is clearly for those individuals who are affected by the immigration law changes, and they come here to share and discuss information, to try and be reassured and help each other along during a very stressful time.

Yet you regularly enter into this conversation in a completely non-supportive fashion. Why do you feel this need to do this?

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
Matches_Malone said:
I have been a silent observer here, but felt I should chime in with my 2 cents.

I liken the new bill to parents with 2 kids who out of the love of their heart adopt a child. This means the new kid is part of the family and bears the name of the family and the other 2 siblings are his brother and sister. The parents will love all their children (biological and adopted) equally.

If years into the future as the family grows and the adopted kid "misbehaves" i.e stealing from the house to buy a new pair of shoes or sneaking out of the house, taking the family car for a party and wrecking the car in the process, I am sure the parents will discipline that child as they would their own biological children.

What you will not see is these parents look to send the child back to the adoption agency. Neither will the parents have 2 sets of rules for their kids with the same DNA and the adopted child. They will treat them all equally.

Canada is like the parent. Canadians who are born here are like biological children. Naturalized Canadians are like the adopted children. We are all equal. We all bear the same surname. We should all be treated the same. No 2 tier family member. i.e I can't disown my biological son or daughter if they misbehaves (crime) or gets in an argument with me (speak against the govt)....or leave the house and wants to live on their own away from home (intent to reside) and only call when they need money (Canadian of convenience).

But I sure can disown my adopted child if they do any of that and cut them off?

This is what the Canadian govt is trying to do. Create an unequal Canadian citizen. Even a natural born Canadian is the offspring of an immigrant (4-5 generations down the line). We need to be careful not to allow politics to change the fact we are humans.

I am sure everyone in parliament (Conservatives, NDP, Liberals etc) all love and care about Canada themselves. The issue is that while the Conservatives do love and want what is best for Canada, this bill is not the right approach in doing so.

It is that simple.
Corrected the highlighted portion for you