+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There was a senate meeting about this bill C24 :

Folks click this link below :

http://senparlvu.parl.gc.ca/Guide.aspx?viewmode=4&categoryid=-1&currentdate=2014-06-10&languagecode=12298&eventid=9570

then click on view this clip

Thanks

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I emailed BC civil liberties association earlier. Please do all we can do at this point.

Thanks for your email and for your concern about this issue. Bill C-24 has passed the House of Commons and is now being considered by the Senate. At this point, you could contact BC's senators to tell them how you feel. You can find a list of BC's senators here: http://www.parl.gc.ca/SenatorsMembers/Senate/SenatorsBiography/isenator.asp?Language=E&sortord=P#ProvBC Other than that, there's not much that individuals can do at this point, but it's worth contacting the senators for sure. The more they hear about how people object to the bill the better.
You can find senators in all provinces following that link.

thepolestar

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys, Things have started stirring up a little.

See the link below. The CBC political expert Evan Solomon has posed this question about stripping citizenship. Every one is allowed to vote on the issue

Go ahead and make the choice.

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/politics/inside-politics-blog/2014/06/power-politics-ballot-box-question-464.html

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
thepolestar said:
Guys, Things have started stirring up a little.

See the link below. The CBC political expert Evan Solomon has posed this question about stripping citizenship. Every one is allowed to vote on the issue

Go ahead and make the choice.

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/politics/inside-politics-blog/2014/06/power-politics-ballot-box-question-464.html
He had a number of guests, including Gelati, and talked to them about the bill. Interestingly, of all the provisions in the bill, they can only see the problem with revoking citizenship of Canadian-born people. It as if the rest of the bill does not exist.

Alexander, as usual, tried to discredit the person (Gelati) and not his ideas. Always go for personal attacks! Gelati, just like the Bar association a couple of days earlier, took the high road and did not respond to personal attacks. They all just said, look there is an issue with the constitutionality of the bill, just have it looked at by the Supreme Court.

Anyway, they got the attention of the white Canada now, it should get interesting.

85% of the people polled by CBC online are against the revocation of citizenship when it comes to Canadian-born folks.

Today in the Senate committee, you could see the friction between the liberal (Eggleton) and the Con (Eaton). It is a bit more civilized than in the HoC, but largely due to the liberal senators, who are patient, kind, and ecourage the witnesses to speak. Eaton, on the other hand, heckled and interrupted, and the other Con, who can barely speak English, was trying to persuade a witness to think differently. At that point, the chair told him it was not a debate, and nobody is supposed to persuade others to change their mind; you just listen to the witnesses' opinions :).

Anyway, it seems that again, everybody has already made up their mind, they have their marching orders, and the witnesses might be just for show, like in the CIMM committee.

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yyzhuang said:
I emailed BC civil liberties association earlier. Please do all we can do at this point.

You can find senators in all provinces following that link.
I think this is the right thing to do now. I got some advice from a Canadian citizen friend. I suggest if you would like to write to senators, these are the things to follow:

I would certainly write BC's Senators if I were you, as well as the NDP and Liberal Citizenship and Immigration critics (each party has an MP which specializes in a specific ministry). If I were you I would: (a) be very polite; (b) not demand your "rights" or "justice". The reality is that this bill made be bad policy (I think it is) but the only thing that really tramples people's rights is the ability to strip citizenship from people who have it; and (c) restrict your efforts to getting something small and specific done, namely, a "grandfather" clause which would mean that people (like you) who were very nearly at the end of the waiting period can get citizenship when they expected it. Don't ask for "fairness" or make demands; that always gets people's backs up. Instead, invite them to sympathize with you by being polite, eager, and someone who can't wait to stitch the Maple Leaf to her backpack.
BTW, does anybody know how to contact NDP and Liberal Citizenship and Immigration critics? thanks in advance

thepolestar

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The senate meeting recording is not working. Its asking for some codec. Does anyone knows how to fix it?

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yyzhuang said:
I think this is the right thing to do now. I got some advice from a Canadian citizen friend. I suggest if you would like to write to senators, these are the things to follow:

BTW, does anybody know how to contact NDP and Liberal Citizenship and Immigration critics? thanks in advance
To add an explanation of "grandfather" clause:

for people like you to be grandfathered (the usual language is something like "the new rules apply to everyone except persons who became permanent residents before September 1, 2013", etc. The general argument is that people have made plans on the basis of the old rules and it's disruptive to change the rules on them, and there's little cost to maintaining the old rules)

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thepolestar said:
The senate meeting recording is not working. Its asking for some codec. Does anyone knows how to fix it?
Mate just download Microsoft silverlight

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
Sharif11 said:
First, I did not write "I'm sure" I wrote "It's obvious" which is an observation of the speed of this bill. And BTW, I don't bet.

I'm just expressing my frustration as I'll be eligible first week of July.
There is nothing "obvious" in any of this, but if that's the word you used, that sounds like you're sure of it. So you should put your money where your mouth is and go ahead and bet. Otherwise, you're just bullshi.tting and you should can it!

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
turboracer said:
Marcus friend feels hope after your words when do you think it would be in effect friend ?
I don't issue any predictions as to when the new bill will take effect. There is no way to know.

What I do know is what has happened in the past with similar immigration and citizenship bills. It took months for those bills to take effect after passage in Parliament. For example, for the last citizenship bill (C-37) it took one full year for it to take effect on April 17, 2009 after it was passed on April 18, 2008. For another example, the last major immigration bill took at least six months to take effect on June 18, 2002.

It takes months for the implementation of any major bills like this. Bill C-24 has not even passed one chamber yet. So anyone who claims the bill will take effect within a matter of days is a sheer ignorant person with no understanding of how the federal government moves.

jrjayl

Oct 6, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to the CIC website, they are hoping to reduce the backlog of applications and the processing time to within one year in 2015/2016, personal opinion, they would want to implement C24 asap because the residency requirement is a hard request for people to satisfy and will immediately drop application number so that backlog will seem going down. Implement it in 2015 is probably too optimistic but a month or two after it passes is maybe a good guess.

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcus66502 said:
I don't issue any predictions as to when the new bill will take effect. There is no way to know.

What I do know is what has happened in the past with similar immigration and citizenship bills. It took months for those bills to take effect after passage in Parliament. For example, for the last citizenship bill (C-37) it took one full year for it to take effect on April 17, 2009 after it was passed on April 18, 2008. For another example, the last major immigration bill took at least six months to take effect on June 18, 2002.

It takes months for the implementation of any major bills like this. Bill C-24 has not even passed one chamber yet. So anyone who claims the bill will take effect within a matter of days is a sheer ignorant person with no understanding of how the federal government moves.
Mate thanks a lot for the information Thanks

Sharif11

Star Member
Jan 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcus66502 said:
There is nothing "obvious" in any of this, but if that's the word you used, that sounds like you're sure of it. So you should put your money where your mouth is and go ahead and bet. Otherwise, you're just bullshi.tting and you should can it!
With such language, I'm afraid, I won't reply to your posts!