Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Look like the physical presence requirement and pre-pr time won't come into force on the day of Royal Assent. There is a chance it will be end of this year.

2.9 Coming into Force of Bill C-24 (Clause 46)
Bill C-24 provides that certain clauses will be deemed upon Royal Assent to have come into force retroactively, some will come into force upon Royal Assent and others will come into force on a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council.

2.9.1 Coming into Force as of 17 April 2009 (Clause 46(4))
The clauses that will be deemed as coming into force as of 17 April 2009 deal primarily with the issue of “lost Canadians.”

2.9.2 Coming into Force on Day of Royal Assent
The following provisions come into force upon Royal Assent:

the extension of the exception to the first generation cut-off to include children and adopted children of grandparents who served Canada abroad (clauses 2(13) and 5);
provisions relating to the accelerated path to citizenship by grant or resumption of citizenship for a permanent resident serving in the Canadian Armed Forces (clauses 3(3) and 9(3));
ministerial discretion to grant citizenship (clause 3(7)); and
all transitional provisions.
2.9.3 Coming into Force on a Day Fixed by Order of the Governor in Council
2.9.3.1 Clause 46(1)
Clause 46(1) stipulates that the following provisions come into force on a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council:

clause 11, establishing the new processing procedures;
clauses 12(1) and 12(3), covering the changes to the citizenship judge's role in the processing of citizenship files, and clause 27, setting out the way in which, over time, the citizenship judge's role will be eliminated;
clause 13, adding a new obligation for a citizenship applicant to answer truthfully, and clause 22, allowing the Minister to ask for additional evidence from a citizenship applicant;
clause 20, the new part of the Act relating to judicial review, and clause 41, confirming through a change in the Federal Courts Act that there is no automatic right to judicial review; and
clause 16(2), affirming that a person subject to a declaration by the Governor in Council may not appeal this declaration or have it judicially reviewed.
2.9.3.2 Clause 46(2) – Not a Day Before Clause 46(1)

Most of the provisions in Bill C-24 – as specified in clause 46(2) – come into force on a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council that will follow the coming into force of the provisions listed in clause 46(1). This means that the changes contained in clause 46(1) provisions – some of which, for example, set the framework for the new procedures for application processing and rules regarding judicial review – will be in place before subsequent changes contained in clause 46(2) provisions – such as the new requirements for naturalization and revocation – can be implemented.

2.9.3.3 Clause 46(3)
The following two clauses given in clause 46(3) come into force on a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council:

clause 24(1), repealing a section that indicates that the Governor in Council prescribes the manner in which applications were to be made; and
clause 26, indicating the various types of regulations the Minister may make.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
civic said:
Look like the physical presence requirement and pre-pr time won't come into force on the day of Royal Assent. There is a chance it will be end of this year.
Well, we'll know soon . . . :'(

dandash

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi civic ,,

where did u get this information from ?!! any idea why the meeting was cancelled ?

Thx

salzafar

Jun 18, 2012
Not even a single amendment passed. What was the point of inviting witnesses or having these committee meetings when the Conservatives are making this bill pass by force (since they're in majority). This speaks volumes that the sitting government does not believe in reasoning, and has not provided any rational argument on eliminating Pre-PR time, or giving a transition period to PRs. Australia and NZ must be crazy since they treat their PRs with respect.

Extremely disappointed. Yes, this is 'democracy' of a country that is a G-8 member!

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Civic, can you share with us the link and preferably section of page number in that link of the extract you shared ?

Thanx ;D

immigrant2008

Jun 4, 2014
Civic, do we know if the "Day Fixed by Order of the Governor in Council" is actually january first of 2015? What if it is say the same as it comes to be Royal Assent? Do you know any source that says it is actually first of 2015?

Thanks!

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
CanuckForEver said:
StopHarperNow
yes I think this is the only thing we do now. H have met many naturalized Canadians who already are frustrated from this government actions. Some of them are illiterate and they will go to vote in the provincial elections against conservatives. We will see.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
us2yow said:
Civic, can you share with us the link and preferably section of page number in that link of the extract you shared ?

Thanx ;D
It's from official source. Here:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/About/Parliament/LegislativeSummaries/bills_ls.asp?source=library_prb&ls=C24&Parl=41&Ses=2&Language=E&Mode=1#a56

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
zardoz said:
The "citizenship of convenience" issue has been bubbling along for a long time, like magma under a volcano.
Now, we are seeing the eruption.

Are any of us truly surprised by the backlash?

There is a perception that Canadian citizenship is "easy"; and I guess that the "powers that be" want to change that.
But this is an eruption on the wrong way time and place. Who did all faults mistakes and frauds are enjoying their actions and the government punishes the new innocent PRs students and workers,what smart they are!!!!

maza

Apr 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2013
Doc's Request.
RPRF/BIODATA 3-2-2014
AOR Received.
05-07-2013
IELTS Request
21-01-2012(sent with application)
Med's Request
31-1-2014
Med's Done....
5-2-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-2-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-2-2014
LANDED..........
3-3-2014
Tolerance said:
Lysane yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2MiHEt7iC8

I liked her last words.....

This will not end here :)

Good job NDP

i believe this law will be modified next year after NDP win the elections..

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
civic said:
It's from official source. Here:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/About/Parliament/LegislativeSummaries/bills_ls.asp?source=library_prb&ls=C24&Parl=41&Ses=2&Language=E&Mode=1#a56
If you guys read careful the sections covering the coming into force date, we see that all transitional provisions will come into force upon Royal Assent. This might include new residency requirements. The coming into force for a later date after Royal Assent are also listed and it doesn't include residency-related clauses. My first guess was wrong. The moment Royal Assent is granted, the new law will kick off, except stated exemptions.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/LegislativeSummaries/41/2/c24-e.pdf

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
maza said:

Good job NDP

We must work hard during next election to make it happened, no matter we would be PR only by that time, we should go door by door, community by community to gain favor for NDP. I trust NDP government would means a better united future for Canadian. As stated earlier most old Canadian don't even have a clue where this conservative government is heading the nation, this Government is trying to sew the seed of hatred and classes among the Canadian. The Ministerial power of revocation would easily be used single thread/ weapon to anyone found demonstrating against Government, opposing the government or even writing against Government policies.

A free country is not where a section of people live in fear, suppressed and as an adopted Citizen on conditions. Equality among Canadian can only strengthen the nation, unequal treatment will divide the nation, no matter even if Canada is a Paradise on earth.

SamDan

Dec 18, 2013
maza said:

Good job NDP

My family and I are naturalized citizens, and we now know who we will be voting for on the next elections. :)

Take an active role in politics, spread the word about issues that concern you. Politics have a huge impact on how our lives and our children's lives will look like. So let's all have our say.