+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

mirki

Jun 12, 2014
2_of_5 said:
Same here. Two years of additional time is an eternity when you are an American citizen who is nearly frantic in waiting to renounce my poisonous US citizenship. I am depressed beyond words. Maybe I'll look into moving to Europe now, as I will NEVER move back to the USSA. Never. I nearly get sick every time I have to cross the border.
I am considering moving back to Europe as well. I have been in Canada since 2009 (PR since 2012). I accepted a new position recently (for 2 years) because I wanted to get the citizenship and settle down. Now that the prospect of getting citizenship is so uncertain and holding it becomes precarious I might just leave. If they are going to revoke the citizenship whenever I move back (even for a few years) why would I wait and bother getting it in the first place? If the purpose of the bill was to discourage existing PRs from staying in Canada (rather than fully integrating them into Canadian economy & culture) then it is likely to succeed.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
I did not hear C-24 when they announced the bills that the GC gives his assent to today.

Did anyone else hear otherwise?

Alexander tweeted that Royal Assent was given today.

Chris Alexander @MinChrisA · 7m

Extremely proud that Bill C-24, Strengthening Canadian Citizenship, received Royal Assent today.

lawabiden

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
u4g5 said:
Royal accent for C24 TOO, ok, beginning of a new era
Hi, why are you so concerned? they look at the date that you signed your application. So be happy :) Good luck.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lawabiden said:
Hi, why are you so concerned? they look at the date that you signed your application. So be happy :) Good luck.
i think with CIC's evil record, they look at the day they receive. they dont care how you send it there, what day you sign, what day you ship. they dont care mail delay or anything. this country is not my home from today.

lawabiden

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
civic said:
i think with CIC's evil record, they look at the day they receive. they dont care how you send it there, what day you sign, what day you ship. they dont care mail delay or anything. this country is not my home from today.
Wrong. The date that the application is signed is important.That's all. I'm not planning to apply for citizenship anymore but don't question all the system because of majority of cons and their decisions. It's all a head game called DEMOCRACY!

lawabiden

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tolerance said:
I did not hear C-24 when they announced the bills that the GC gives his assent to today.

Did anyone else hear otherwise?

Alexander tweeted that Royal Assent was given today.

Chris Alexander @ MinChrisA · 7m

Extremely proud that Bill C-24, Strengthening Canadian Citizenship, received Royal Assent today.
What do you expect? funniest thing ever happened today! while third reading was going on cbc announced the bill became law!!!

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
They are having a ball:

Retweeted by Chris Alexander
Peter Van Loan ‏@PeterVanLoan 3m

Congrats @MinChrisA on Bill C-24 – Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act becoming law – defending + strengthening Canadian citizenship

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lawabiden said:
What do you expect? funniest thing ever happened today! while third reading was going on cbc announced the bill became law!!!
A comedy show by Cons.

GoCanada1985

Jun 18, 2014
civic said:
When I spoke to an agent earlier this week, they told me all applications are recorded as received upon the day that they open it. They used the recent example of the increase in fees. That they sent back any applications that had not been opened by the date of the change. And they said even once they physically receive it, it is a week or two before it is opened based on the backlog.

I am one of many people that will likely either barely make it or barely miss it. At the end of the day, what will be will be and it will happen when it supposed to happen.

polarbear

Sep 17, 2012
lawabiden said:

Tweets

Tweets and replies

Chris Alexander @ MinChrisA · 14m

 Reply Replied to 0 times
 Retweet Retweeted 3 times 3
 Favorite Favorited 3 times 3

 More

Chris Alexander @ MinChrisA · 1h

Great discussion with media on how Bill C-24 will result in faster processing times for new citizens.

Game Over :mad:

lawabiden

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sharif11 said:
So, basically no chance for people who suppose to apply 1st week of July!
Well one of the assistants of Senator Eggleton said C-24 will become effective not earlier than Sep 2014. not sure how valid is that though.

immigrant2008

Jun 4, 2014
When will we know the time that the bill will become effective then? To me they should announce it at the same time that it became a law.

pedros

Star Member
Oct 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC **very** quick to announce termination of backlog of federal Immigrant Investor Program (IIP) and federal Entrepreneur Program (EN) after bill C-31 received Royal Assent, oh maybe less than an hour ago?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-06-19.asp?utm_source=bitly_eng&utm_medium=generic&utm_campaign=IIP-EN&utm_content=msg_01

Lets see how quick they are to announce changes to the Citizenship program

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sharif11 said:
So, basically no chance for people who suppose to apply 1st week of July!
Once again...pay attention to the COMING INTO FORCE date. After you discover that date (which we don't yet know), you can celebrate or be depressed.