+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
guess "intend to reside" clause shouldn't be a problem for any new citizens. at least from CIC :)

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Interestingly enough, here is a write-up of one of C-24s most contentious clauses from an American perspective:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/06/19/boston_marathon_bombings_tsarnaev_s_citizenship_oath_will_not_be_considered.html

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
Interestingly enough, here is a write-up of one of C-24s most contentious clauses from an American perspective:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/06/19/boston_marathon_bombings_tsarnaev_s_citizenship_oath_will_not_be_considered.html
that would be true as well in canada. unless it's an immigration trial. immigration status don't usually matter in criminal trials. like how an american can be convicted in italy.

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
Does anybody know if the clause regarding the residency requirement will be one of those coming into effect immediately? I'm referring to the 4/6 years as well as to the fact that previous residency time does not count...

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:

Land of the Free and Home of the Brave ...
Instead of following the US in wars, Canada should also follow his neighbors in the Law ...

informatics

Aug 3, 2009
Hi ,

I just spoke to a CIC agent , although she didn't say anything concrete about the in effect date of C-24 ,
however she did mention that most probably CIC will take into consideration those people who are very near to complete their residency requirements .

I understand that its hard to establish a conclusion based on this info , however I really hope that there will be a transitionary period between the bill becoming a law and its in effect date .

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
chakrab said:
that would be true as well in canada. unless it's an immigration trial. immigration status don't usually matter in criminal trials. like how an american can be convicted in italy.
Not quite what I meant -- the example I gave is how the prosecutor in the US wanted to charge the guy with something that is only possible with a naturalized citizen, in other words, an example of some of the debate around C-24 (some people can have their citizenship stripped, others can't).

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
Not quite what I meant -- the example I gave is how the prosecutor in the US wanted to charge the guy with something that is only possible with a naturalized citizen, in other words, an example of some of the debate around C-24 (some people can have their citizenship stripped, others can't).
i think US can also strip born-americans off their citizenship if they are dual citizens once they take up arms against the country.

in US, it is rather funny how they word the law. they don't revoke citizenship. rather, if one does certain things, they give up on the citizenship.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
on-hold said:
After Bill C-24, I wonder if they will modify the oath for Canadian citizenship to also include 'intent-to-reside'...

polarbear

Sep 17, 2012
chakrab said:
guess "intend to reside" clause shouldn't be a problem for any new citizens. at least from CIC :)

What do you mean by this ? Did they speak anything about "Intend to Reside" clause in the parliament today ? :-X

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yes very clearly. even alexander has said it clearly than intend to reside only applies during the application and not after citizenship. it was said in the senate as well.

hobbes

Star Member
Mar 20, 2008
meyakanor said:
After Bill C-24, I wonder if they will modify the oath for Canadian citizenship to also include 'intent-to-reside'...
If they decide to impose the intent-to-reside requirement on existing applicants, that would mean people who have moved out of Canada after applying might find their application rejected (since they no longer intend to reside in Canada). I don't think that is likely to happen.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
hobbes said:
If they decide to impose the intent-to-reside requirement on existing applicants, that would mean people who have moved out of Canada after applying might find their application rejected (since they no longer intend to reside in Canada). I don't think that is likely to happen.
This is already what's been happening for New Zealand. I think for NZ naturalization to be granted, one must not reside out of the country during the application process, or one may face delay or rejection.

Intention
You must intend, if granted New Zealand citizenship, to continue to reside in New Zealand.

Otherwise, you must intend to enter into or continue in one of the following:

Crown Service under the New Zealand Government; or
Service under an international organisation of which the New Zealand Government is a member; or
Service in the employment of a person, company, society or other body of persons resident or established in New Zealand.

How is the requirement assessed?
You must advise the Citizenship Office if you intend to go overseas..

Important things you need to know
If you travel overseas after lodging your application, the processing may not be completed until you return to New Zealand.

http://www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Citizenship-General-Requirements-for-a-Grant-of-New-Zealand-Citizenship?OpenDocument#one
This could potentially be how Canada would enforce the intent-to-reside during the application process. Of course, New Zealand has much more effective exit checks than Canada, so one would think that it would be much easier to enforce there than here.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Empirical-Scientist said:
Does anybody know if the clause regarding the residency requirement will be one of those coming into effect immediately? I'm referring to the 4/6 years as well as to the fact that previous residency time does not count...
As has been mentioned here a number of times, no, the residency requirement does not take effect immediately. The date for that section to come into force will be announced by the Government at a later time. We don't know what the date will be or when it will be announced.