+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sharif11 said:
Just to clarify: There are thousands and thousands of Internationale students who are fully sponsored by their governments (don't have to work) come to Canada every year. Yes, they receive good education but, they also contribute to Canada. They pay 2x tuition fees, buy cars pay for auto-insurance, they rent or buy houses, buy food and the list goes on.

Same goes for foreign workers.
Absolutely, plus they pay fees for visas, permits and other Government services, not required for Canadians. Free money for Canadian budget.

+ They also raise Canada's prestige as a country. Suppose you don't have International Students / Foreign Workers, that means you are not so good as a country.

BTW, I'm not sure about people leaving Canada after the new law, but I'm absolutely sure, there will be less interest in Canada from the side of high-skilled and reasonably thinking immigrants. On the other side, there will be more abusers than ever. And more abusers raise questions about courruption, and maybe that's what Conservatives are aiming for, I don't know..

Sharif11

Star Member
Jan 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alwayspositive said:
I have been following posts here for a while and I'm particularly surprised by the assertion that foreign students do not contribute anything to the Canadian society. I'm surprised by this because every year Canadian universities come to my country to recruit students using enticing packages, trying to convince students with reasons why they should study in Canada. Is it purely an act of kindness on the part of these universities and the Canadian government? As a PhD student, my husband did groundbreaking research which resulted in several publications with his supervisors while still a student. He presented papers at conferences and was made to present at workshops to share with scientists groundbreaking research which by the way earned him job offers even before his graduation. Surely, this should count as contribution to society. Pls correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm wrong, then I need to be educated on what contribution to society means.
Wish everyone the best.
Cheers.
+1

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just checked the Parliament Website, it does not show anything about third reading stage in HoC... and I did n't see any meeting for tomorrow at least up to now. I appreciate the clarification.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
taleodor said:
+ They also raise Canada's prestige as a country. Suppose you don't have International Students / Foreign Workers, that means you are not so good as a country.
i don't know if i would agree to that statement. many good schools in canada weren't recruiting international students to their premier programs till the last 10 years. most schools have opened up to international students in recent years, specially in graduate studies. the schools dont get funding for international students from the province in graduate programs. the funding is based on resident students. same with foreign workers, the laws were pretty tough to hire a foreign worker before 2006/2007. there were no PGWP for international students as well.

also the influx of immigrants to canada has increased due to stricter immigration laws in UK, europe and US.

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
alwayspositive said:
I have been following posts here for a while and I'm particularly surprised by the assertion that foreign students do not contribute anything to the Canadian society. I'm surprised by this because every year Canadian universities come to my country to recruit students using enticing packages, trying to convince students with reasons why they should study in Canada. Is it purely an act of kindness on the part of these universities and the Canadian government? As a PhD student, my husband did groundbreaking research which resulted in several publications with his supervisors while still a student. He presented papers at conferences and was made to present at workshops to share with scientists groundbreaking research which by the way earned him job offers even before his graduation. Surely, this should count as contribution to society. Pls correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm wrong, then I need to be educated on what contribution to society means.
Wish everyone the best.
Cheers.
True, if Students (Especially people at PhD level) do not contribute to Canadian Society ... why CIC has implemented the PhD Stream for Immigration? Huge number of successful Professional workers and professors in Canada came as International Students and established their residency this way and became Canadian Citizens eventually!

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
alwayspositive said:
Wish everyone the best.
Cheers.
You are absolutely right. Canada bases its economic growth partly on attracting international students. We are talking billions annually. Thousands of people would loose their jobs in the education industry if only canadian- born folks went to school. And it is not only education. In Toronto, all kinds of slimeballs have become rental property barrons, renting out crappy accomodation to immigrants and students, they are having a ball! Such people will support immigration and foreign students, because they do not even have to advertise :).

I worked in the education industry. It is not only the foreign students; they regularly tell PRs who just came here "You dont have any Canadian experience, eh?" You should go to school.

Contribution to society came out of the same dictionary as citizenship of convenience and other con inventions.

Don' t pay attention to Marcus, he sold his soul to the devil :). Just ignore him, like torontosm.

alwayspositive

Aug 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6/2011
Doc's Request.
7/2013
AOR Received.
8/2011
Med's Request
10/2013
Med's Done....
10/2013 In process: 1/2014 Additional Doc Request: 2/2014
Passport Req..
2/14
VISA ISSUED...
2/14
LANDED..........
5/2014 ( in Canada since 2009)
We estimate that in 2010, international students in Canada spent in excess of $7.7 billion on tuition, accommodation and discretionary spending; created over 81,000 jobs; and generated more than $445 million in government revenue.
Altogether there were more than 218,200 long-term (staying for at least six months) international students in Canada in 2010, generating more than $6.9 billion to the Canadian economy. It is estimated that nearly 37 percent of that revenue came from two countries – China and South Korea. As of December 2010 there were 56,900 Chinese and 24,600 South Korean citizens in Canada undertaking a formal education program. Ontario and BC hosted nearly two thirds of the international students in Canada (85,300 and 60,500 respectively) while Quebec was a distant third.
Short term students who pursued language training also contributed an estimated $788 million to the Canadian economy.
Overall, the total amount that international students spend in Canada ($8.0 billion) is greater than our export of unwrought aluminium ($6 billion), and even greater than our export of helicopters, airplanes and spacecraft ($6.9 billion) to all other countries.
When the value of educational services provided in Canada to international students is compared to the value of the more traditional goods that Canada exports, the impact for some countries is even more striking. The Saudi Arabians, for example, spend the equivalent of 44% of the value of the goods they import from Canada on educational services. Similarly, we see that South Korea (19.1%), China (13.9%), India (27.9%), and France (14.2%) all spend significantly for educational services when compared to the trade in goods they import from Canada.
In total, the annual expenditure of $8.0 billion by international students translated to estimates of almost $4.9 billion worth of contribution to GDP, 86,570 jobs, and $455 million of government tax revenue.

The full report:
http://www.international.gc.ca/education/assets/pdfs/economic_impact_en.pdf

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tolerance said:
You are absolutely right. Canada bases its economic growth partly on attracting international students. We are talking billions annually. Thousands of people would loose their jobs in the education industry if only canadian- born folks went to school. And it is not only education. In Toronto, all kinds of slimeballs have become rental property barrons, renting out crappy accomodation to immigrants and students, they are having a ball! Such people will support immigration and foreign students, because they do not even have to advertise :).

I worked in the education industry. It is not only the foreign students; they regularly tell PRs who just came here "You dont have any Canadian experience, eh?" You should go to school.

Contribution to society came out of the same dictionary as citizenship of convenience and other con inventions.

Don' t pay attention to Marcus, he sold his soul to the devil :). Just ignore him, like torontosm.
that has more to do with provincial support to higher education. within a decade or so, you will see most universities/colleges establishing themselves as private institutions than public. universities are recruiting foreign students as cash cows and there are plenty of students all around the world who are willing to pay 10 times for that very purpose. it's a win-win for both parties.

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chakrab said:
i don't know if i would agree to that statement. many good schools in canada weren't recruiting international students to their premier programs till the last 10 years. most schools have opened up to international students in recent years, specially in graduate studies. the schools dont get funding for international students from the province in graduate programs. the funding is based on resident students. same with foreign workers, the laws were pretty tough to hire a foreign worker before 2006/2007. there were no PGWP for international students as well.

also the influx of immigrants to canada has increased due to stricter immigration laws in UK, europe and US.
Presence of International Students is one of the important points that is considered by any serious University rating.

Similar with Foreign Workers, if higher skilled expatriates are willing to come to your country, it raises its prestige.

On the other hand, I agree, that since 2006 Conservatives have completely screwed the whole Immigration system. Right now it's such a mess to the point that it's hard to say, from which end it should be fixed.

Problem is, they are continuing to make it worse.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
alwayspositive said:
We estimate that in 2010, international students in Canada spent in excess of $7.7 billion on tuition, accommodation and discretionary spending; created over 81,000 jobs; and generated more than $445 million in government revenue.
Altogether there were more than 218,200 long-term (staying for at least six months) international students in Canada in 2010, generating more than $6.9 billion to the Canadian economy. It is estimated that nearly 37 percent of that revenue came from two countries – China and South Korea. As of December 2010 there were 56,900 Chinese and 24,600 South Korean citizens in Canada undertaking a formal education program. Ontario and BC hosted nearly two thirds of the international students in Canada (85,300 and 60,500 respectively) while Quebec was a distant third.
Short term students who pursued language training also contributed an estimated $788 million to the Canadian economy.
Overall, the total amount that international students spend in Canada ($8.0 billion) is greater than our export of unwrought aluminium ($6 billion), and even greater than our export of helicopters, airplanes and spacecraft ($6.9 billion) to all other countries.
When the value of educational services provided in Canada to international students is compared to the value of the more traditional goods that Canada exports, the impact for some countries is even more striking. The Saudi Arabians, for example, spend the equivalent of 44% of the value of the goods they import from Canada on educational services. Similarly, we see that South Korea (19.1%), China (13.9%), India (27.9%), and France (14.2%) all spend significantly for educational services when compared to the trade in goods they import from Canada.
In total, the annual expenditure of $8.0 billion by international students translated to estimates of almost $4.9 billion worth of contribution to GDP, 86,570 jobs, and $455 million of government tax revenue.

The full report:
http://www.international.gc.ca/education/assets/pdfs/economic_impact_en.pdf
Good job, thanks.

So enough of the 'they do not contribute' crap.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
taleodor said:
Presence of International Students is one of the important points that is considered by any serious University rating.

Similar with Foreign Workers, if higher skilled expatriates are willing to come to your country, it raises its prestige.

On the other hand, I completely agree, that since 2006 Conservatives have completely screwed the whole Immigration system. Right now it's such a mess to the point that it's hard to say, from which end it should be fixed.

Problem is, they are continuing to make it worse.
influx of international students may look like a good thing right now, because we originated from the same category. but it is setting a very bad precedence. the economic system is much different in canada than let's say china or south korea. if local students are now made to compete with fees paid by the international students, that will have a huge negative impact. there should definitely be a limit to international student percentage like it used to be.

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chakrab said:
influx of international students may look like a good thing right now, because we originated from the same category. but it is setting a very bad precedence. the economic system is much different in canada than let's say china or south korea. if local students are now made to compete with fees paid by the international students, that will have a huge negative impact. there should definitely be a limit to international student percentage like it used to be.
These all are just small parts in a total Immigration failure led by Conservatives. I think, the following is really the quote of the day:
"....barbers trying to perform brain surgery......"

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
taleodor said:
These all are just small parts in a total Immigration failure led by Conservatives. I think, the following is really the quote of the day:
"....barbers trying to perform brain surgery......"
lol. look i understand you guys and your worries. but in 10 to 20 years when we are planning to send the kids to college, i don't any of us will be thinking how much international students are helping with generating revenue for the govt when we are paying similar rates.

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
What is the news regarding the third reading? Any Idea? Any Idea when is the first reading at the Senate?

jrjayl

Oct 6, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shaazdeh said:
I just checked the Parliament Website, it does not show anything about third reading stage in HoC... and I did n't see any meeting for tomorrow at least up to now. I appreciate the clarification.
might have not finished yet. Just need to check it tomorrow morning. If HoC 3rd reading passes, guess tomorrow will be senate 1st reading.