+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for Passport outside Canada after Oath Ceremony

Hanonymous

Jan 25, 2019
Hi everyone! I'm going to have my Oath Ceremony in 2 weeks and will be traveling to Canada. I will be choosing the option of e-certificate.

My question is, has anyone done the Oath and left the country and applied for Canadian passport from overseas? I am currently posted in UK by my Canadian employer so I want to apply for Canadian passport from UK after I return from Canada.

Thanks

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
There's absolutely no issue with this.
You can apply for your first passport from the Canadian embassy/consulate in UK.
The only "problems" associated with applying with a passport from outside Canada are only practical :
- The passport costs more.
- There are obviously less Canadians around if you're looking for a guarantor to sign your application and picture, if you don't already know one in UK. That can be solved by either filing your passport application after your oath and before leaving Canada, or by asking an occupation based guarantor https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html#occupation-guarantor

Yommex

Star Member
Dec 12, 2018
New Brunswick
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-05-2020
Doc's Request.
04-06-2020
Nomination.....
25-06-2020
AOR Received.
24-06-2021
Med's Done....
25-05-2021
Hi everyone! I'm going to have my Oath Ceremony in 2 weeks and will be traveling to Canada. I will be choosing the option of e-certificate.

My question is, has anyone done the Oath and left the country and applied for Canadian passport from overseas? I am currently posted in UK by my Canadian employer so I want to apply for Canadian passport from UK after I return from Canada.

Thanks
Please could you advise if you were able to apply from the UK

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Please could you advise if you were able to apply from the UK
I've done this myself and applied from the UK....zero issues. Make sure forms all completed as per the norm, guarantor signatures obtained and that's it. I applied for mine just when lockdown was coming to an end so there was a 10 week wait.

Yommex

Star Member
Dec 12, 2018
New Brunswick
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-05-2020
Doc's Request.
04-06-2020
Nomination.....
25-06-2020
AOR Received.
24-06-2021
Med's Done....
25-05-2021
I've done this myself and applied from the UK....zero issues. Make sure forms all completed as per the norm, guarantor signatures obtained and that's it. I applied for mine just when lockdown was coming to an end so there was a 10 week wait.
Thank you for this information, I hope it will be faster and the same. Is it advisable to apply online or via paper application?

sfmoosavian

May 31, 2019
There's absolutely no issue with this.
You can apply for your first passport from the Canadian embassy/consulate in UK.
The only "problems" associated with applying with a passport from outside Canada are only practical :
- The passport costs more.
- There are obviously less Canadians around if you're looking for a guarantor to sign your application and picture, if you don't already know one in UK. That can be solved by either filing your passport application after your oath and before leaving Canada, or by asking an occupation based guarantor https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html#occupation-guarantor
Must the guarantor and the two references live in the UK for them to be able to sign the documents? I can take their signature while in Canada and submit the documents when I am in the UK. Is that a possibility?

D-Dog

Star Member
Feb 2, 2024
Must the guarantor and the two references live in the UK for them to be able to sign the documents? I can take their signature while in Canada and submit the documents when I am in the UK. Is that a possibility?
The references don't need to sign the application. You only need their details.

Reactions: sfmoosavian

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
@D-Dog answered for the references.
And yes, you can absolutely fill the application in advance, make the guarantor sign the document and picture before you fly overseas and apply for the passport.

Reactions: D-Dog

sfmoosavian

May 31, 2019
@D-Dog answered for the references.
And yes, you can absolutely fill the application in advance, make the guarantor sign the document and picture before you fly overseas and apply for the passport.
Thank you.

Also, can my cousin or her husband, who are Canadian citizens, be my guarantor? Do they need to be in a specific profession?

I am asking this for two reason: (1) since in the following link

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html#outside-canada

There is no specific requirement for the guarantor if you are applying from outside of Canada but immediately below it, Occupation-based guarantors have been mentioned. So, I just want to be sure this section is separate from the section Guarantor requirements for a regular (blue) passport submitted outside Canada.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
The occupation-based guarantors are listed there because Canadian citizen aren't necessarily easy to find outside Canada, but yeah, your family members can be your guarantor (not your references tho).

sfmoosavian

May 31, 2019

Thanks
Hello, could you apply for the passport from the UK? I am in the same boat and, although other answers confirm that there is no issue, i would still greatly appreciate if you can confirm it is possible and you did it.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hello, could you apply for the passport from the UK? I am in the same boat and, although other answers confirm that there is no issue, i would still greatly appreciate if you can confirm it is possible and you did it.
One of the answers is literally someone saying they did it in UK with absolutely no problem. You're free to seek confirmation from a specific individual, but why?

sfmoosavian

May 31, 2019
One of the answers is literally someone saying they did it in UK with absolutely no problem. You're free to seek confirmation from a specific individual, but why?
I appreciate your help, however in the following thread

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/applying-for-the-first-passport-abroad.785715/

in the first post, it says

“The officer in my ceremony told me that it's not possible, and thus I will absolutely need to wait until I get my passport before traveling.”

This is about the first passport and hence I got concerned. That is the reason I asked for conformation.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
It shows that the officer doesn't work for Passport Canada, he has no idea what he's saying. Not everything the employees of the government say should be taken face value, especially when it contradicts the official websites.
Family members of mine also applied for their first passport from outside Canada, absolutely no problem. Don't overthink it.