Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
Update:

Applications received from PhD applicants:

Applications received toward the overall cap: 37 of 1,000 as of December 8, 2011

snow_walker

Star Member
Nov 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
No update from anyone?

btw, one of my friend has applied in the CEC category about 3 months ago. His CC hasn't been charged again. I am guessing, CIC is now completing the eligibility check and then charges CC. any thought?

and where are the other applicants? We are only 4 out of 37 here....

phdapplicant

Star Member
Nov 21, 2011
My application was sent on 14/12, and it has been received by CIO today (16/12). I used CIBC money order so I might not be able to track whether CIC have encashed it. Fingers crossed!

"Applications received toward the overall cap: 37 of 1,000 as of December 13, 2011"
I bet that the number will shoot up very soon, as hundreds of PhDs (including me) have received their IELTS and CELPIP results last week.

snow_walker

Star Member
Nov 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
@phdapplicant: welcome to the thread. and yes, the number will rise sharply from now on as people started getting their IELTS result.

the spreadsheet is updated.

phdapplicant

Star Member
Nov 21, 2011
snow_walker said:
@ phdapplicant: welcome to the thread. and yes, the number will rise sharply from now on as people started getting their IELTS result.

the spreadsheet is updated.
Thanks bro.
Btw, google doc has a notification feature (tools->notification rules) that some of us might find it helpful.

curiousone

Dec 19, 2011
Question about NOC category to be used in PhD application category

Hi Everyone,

I have some confusion about IMM 0008E- Schedule 3 form. I want to apply under new international PhD student category. I am confused when it comes to filling the part about work experience. As a PhD student- what would be the NOC category for this class? or you have to have a minimum one year paid work experience beside being a PhD student? Can I use my 2 year PhD experience and use the category of biologist and related scientist? Can anybody share information based on what you filled in for this section? I have other work experience too but it does not fall under the current eligible list of occupations for PR application. I am confused and not sure how to deal with this and I would very much appreciate any insights shared on this. Many thanks for your response.

phdapplicant

Star Member
Nov 21, 2011
Re: Question about NOC category to be used in PhD application category

what would be the NOC category for this class?
It's NOC 4122 for Research/Teaching Assistant

you have to have a minimum one year paid work experience beside being a PhD student?
It's most likely that you need some other working experience. The reason is that you're not allowed to claim your RA/TA as a full time position. Most universities have a policy to limit the number of working hours for international graduate students to 10-20hrs/week. For example, at Western the cap is 10 hrs/week, which means that you must be working as RA/TA for 4 years to meet the minium one year requirement.
Also, notice that the minimum one year of paid work experience must be continuous without any gap (such as summer). It's different to the way they calculate your scores, which allows combining multiple part-time positions and gaps between them.

Can I use my 2 year PhD experience and use the category of biologist and related scientist?
No. To the best of my knowledge, it's a loophole that CIC are now very aware of.

curiousone

Dec 19, 2011
Thanks a lot for your response, appreciate!

NOC 4122 sounds great but I could not find it in the eligible occupations' list given by CIC. My experience is exactly under this category and I am wondering if I can use it?

In the CIC link on eligibility criteria for FSW category- they mention that you have to be in one of the 3 categories including previous work experience, arranged employment or international PhD student. Are they considering international students as a separate category then? What about those international students who do not have any previous work experience which otherwise are eligible based on the criterion of having completed two years at post-secondary institution in Canada? Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks again!

phdapplicant

Star Member
Nov 21, 2011
curiousone said:
Thanks a lot for your response, appreciate!

In the CIC link on eligibility criteria for FSW category- they mention that you have to be in one of the 3 categories including previous work experience, arranged employment or international PhD student. Are they considering international students as a separate category then? What about those international students who do not have any previous work experience which otherwise are eligible based on the criterion of having completed two years at post-secondary institution in Canada? Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks again!
Yes, it's a new category. The new PhD stream gives international PhD student who is studying (or has studied) in Canada a chance to apply under FSW. However, we still have to satisfy ALL requirements as other FSW applicants do, including one year of working experience AND a minimum of 67 points.

diy2011

Dec 19, 2011
My package has been received by CIO today Dec. 21 (sent on Dec.17). I guess mine would be the last one of this year. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Applications received toward the overall cap: 37 of 1,000 as of December 19, 2011

The cap is still not updated yet.
Happy holidays ! :p

I

iloveimmuno

So, if you don't mind telling, what did you show for 1 year of work experience? I mean is it work unrelated to PhD?

snow_walker

Star Member
Nov 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
@diy2011: spreadsheet is updated.

4122 is a tricky NOC code. I have seen some students getting PR sowing 1 year Canadian work experience in 4122 NOC alone. I also have seen some applications got rejected in that category. I believe, it depends on the CIO officer who assesses the application eligibility. But technically, if someone's salary as RA/TA exceeds 40 hours/week payment equivalent then there shouldn't be any problem to show this as 1 year experience. The problem here is, 40 hours/week equivalents to roughly 2250CAD/month and many students don't get that much. And scholarship recipients are not considered to be RA since their income is in the bursary category.

take care and happy holidays (I am sooooooo looking forward to this break) ;D ;D ;D ;D

snow_walker

Star Member
Nov 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
Interestingly, the number of PhD applicant is not updated whereas the other FSW applicantions number is updated. I believe, CIC is receiving a LOT of applications in the PhD category now since many has already got the IELTS results....