sarsanballa

Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sthind said:
Hi,
I am applying under PhD program. I just finished second year. I did my Masters from India. According to the new rules do I have to give Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) or I can just give my PhD transcript from Canada. Please help its urgent.
Thanks
U will need to get your Master's degree ONLY evaluted at one of the agencies designated by CIC. For specifics, please refer to the following link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG7TOC.asp

quote "You will be awarded up to 25 points for your HIGHEST completed Canadian educational credential or for your HIGHEST equivalency to a completed Canadian educational credential."

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (now transferred to Ottawa)
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APPLICATION (OVERALL BAND SCORE 8.5)
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-06-2013; Passports sent in on 22-06- 2013; Passports received by ottawa on 25-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
visas received on July 9, 2013
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
just a quick question...does anyone know how to update CIC with your new address?..is it through ecas?..do i have to send them a letter/e-mail as well?...thanks :)

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
anjuku said:
just a quick question...does anyone know how to update CIC with your new address?..is it through ecas?..do i have to send them a letter/e-mail as well?...thanks :)
Through e-cas.

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (now transferred to Ottawa)
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APPLICATION (OVERALL BAND SCORE 8.5)
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-06-2013; Passports sent in on 22-06- 2013; Passports received by ottawa on 25-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
visas received on July 9, 2013
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
Dear All,

My application was received about a year ago and I have requested the GCMS a week ago and currently waiting for it. I have been recently seeing more and more rejections due to problems with the reference/work experience letter. This is making me worried and I'm not quite sure what exactly are they looking for and what is the lead statement for research assistants. My letter included the following. Can someone please comment on whether this looks reasonable/acceptable? If not, what am I missing?

This is to confirm that XXXXXX has been working with me as a research assistant in the XXXXXX Laboratory at XXXXXX University, since XXXXXX 2009. XXXXXX is a Ph.D. student in the same university under my supervision. His work in my lab is part of his doctoral research. On average, XXXXXXX works about 35 hours per week conducting research. His annual salary is about $-----. His responsibilities and duties as a research assistant include:
  • Conducting research in XXXXXXX, XXXXXXX. He designs new algorithms and implements software systems to demonstrate the practicality his research ideas.
  • Conducting scientific experiments to validate his research ideas.
  • Preparing scientific publications based on the outcome of his research.
  • Administering my research equipment and software systems.

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
File Transfer...
01-11-2012 from CIO to CPP-O
Med's Request
23-11-2013 (RPRF requested on 22-11-2013)
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 Med's Received:06-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014, Decision Made:09-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
You are missing the lead statement . The lead statement for 4012 goes as follows 'post graduate research and teaching assistants assist university professors in research and teaching activities'. I would definitely include the word assist and bold face it in the letter. Further, you are also missing a substantial number of duties in your letter (e.g: conducting literature reviews, compiling and analyzing data from experiments, writing reports for publication in scholarly journals etc).

yunshi

Jun 4, 2013
2013: Adaptability from full-time study during PhD?

I understand this must have be discussed before, but I cannot find any info since May 4th (should there be a similar thread for PhD stream applicants after May 4?) from the search.

On CIC guide 7000, it says that "You completed at least two academic years of full-time study (in a program of at least two years in duration) at a secondary or post-secondary school in Canada.", which would be fine for all PhD stream applicants. BUT it also says that "Full-time study means at least 15 hours of instruction per week, and you must have remained in good academic standing (as defined by the school) during the period of full-time study in Canada."

So the question is how do I prove that I have "at least 15 hours of instruction per week", which apparently are not 15 credits/ units? And I believe most PhD students after their first year do not literally get instructed by someone 15 hours per week.

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
informer2000 said:
Dear All,

My application was received about a year ago and I have requested the GCMS a week ago and currently waiting for it. I have been recently seeing more and more rejections due to problems with the reference/work experience letter. This is making me worried and I'm not quite sure what exactly are they looking for and what is the lead statement for research assistants. My letter included the following. Can someone please comment on whether this looks reasonable/acceptable? If not, what am I missing?

This is to confirm that XXXXXX has been working with me as a research assistant in the XXXXXX Laboratory at XXXXXX University, since XXXXXX 2009. XXXXXX is a Ph.D. student in the same university under my supervision. His work in my lab is part of his doctoral research. On average, XXXXXXX works about 35 hours per week conducting research. His annual salary is about $-----. His responsibilities and duties as a research assistant include:
  • Conducting research in XXXXXXX, XXXXXXX. He designs new algorithms and implements software systems to demonstrate the practicality his research ideas.
Very quickly send them an updated letter which includes the lead statement, and more duties. This letter would probably get rejected. Do it tomorrow before they decide on your application. Send it through e-mail to reach them the same day.

kuzey

Star Member
Oct 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-05-2012
Doc's Request.
06-02-2013
Med's Request
14-06-2013
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Passport Req..
06-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2013
LANDED..........
29-08-2013
Prepare a new latter and update them as quick as possible.

Some suggestion:

- Make sure to include a sentence like : XXXX assisted me as a research assistant in the XXXX area and his main duties were as follow"
- It is better to exclude a sentence like "His work in my lab is part of his doctoral research" I remember that the officer reasoned a rejection by saying that "the letter has no indication that you assisted the professor and it was just toward completing the dissertation. I know this looks stupid but I think it would be better if you exclude the following sentence from your letter.
- Also try to add some more duties. Do not be afraid to copy paste from NOC website.

Good luck

informer2000 said:
Dear All,

chakri264

Feb 28, 2013
London, Ontario
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Citizenship
App. Filed.......
13 October 2017
Doc's Request.
None
kuzey said:
Prepare a new latter and update them as quick as possible.

Some suggestion:

- Make sure to include a sentence like : XXXX assisted me as a research assistant in the XXXX area and his main duties were as follow"
- It is better to exclude a sentence like "His work in my lab is part of his doctoral research" I remember that the officer reasoned a rejection by saying that "the letter has no indication that you assisted the professor and it was just toward completing the dissertation. I know this looks stupid but I think it would be better if you exclude the following sentence from your letter.
- Also try to add some more duties. Do not be afraid to copy paste from NOC website.

Good luck
I agree with you kuzey. The sentence "the research work he does is a part of his PHD" should not be there as it is bypassing the lead statement. A research assistant has to assist professors in other research projects in addition to his/her own research. So better to act fast and send an updated letter by email soon before they take a decision.

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
Thank you all for your quick and detailed replies. They are very helpful. I will ask my supervisor for an updated letter and send it to CIC by email and express mail as soon as possible. My application reached CIO on June 28th last year. I can only hope they haven't reached a decision by now. :(

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is my updated reference letter

To whom it may concern,
This reference letter is in support of xxxx xxxx’s application for Permanent Resident status of Canada through the Skilled Worker and Professionals Class. Mr. xxxx xxxx has been working as a full-time research assistant at the xxxx Department of University of xxxx since he joined us in September 2009 as a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) student.

As a research assistant, he assists me in research activities in the area of xxxx.

His main duties include:

• Conducting literature and technical reviews
o Details here
• Performing laboratory and simulation experiments
o Details here
• Compiling and analyzing research results
o Details here
• Preparing scholarly publications and writing scientific journal papers. During his employment here, Mr. xxxx xxxx has published the following papers:

Since xxxx joined University of xxxx, he has been receiving xxxx for the first year, xxxx for the second year and xxxx for the third year for his research assistantship work. Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) is the main source from whom I receive my research funding. As a research assistant, xxxx has worked 40 hours a week in the xxxx Department, since September 2009. xxxx will receive the research assistantship stipend of xxxx for year 2013 until he finishes his Ph.D. program by xxxx.
Should you have any questions, or require further information, please contact me either via E-mail (xxxx) or by phone xxxx.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
informer2000 , I frankly think that you won't need to update them with anything, since your main duties, in my opinion, match the duties prescribed on the HRSDC website for NOC 4012. But I agree though that the lead statement is missing, and since you applied before May 4 2013, it's probably not a bad idea to send them updated letter anyway.

There have been cases where rejected applicant had matching main duties, but lacking lead statement, so better be safe than sorry (make sure your new letter won't contradict the original letter though). Look for accepted templates from other members, and I think you should be fine (I don't think they've assessed most June 2012 applicants, much less late June 2012 applicants). Good luck :)

yunshi said:
I understand this must have be discussed before, but I cannot find any info since May 4th (should there be a similar thread for PhD stream applicants after May 4?) from the search.

On CIC guide 7000, it says that "You completed at least two academic years of full-time study (in a program of at least two years in duration) at a secondary or post-secondary school in Canada.", which would be fine for all PhD stream applicants. BUT it also says that "Full-time study means at least 15 hours of instruction per week, and you must have remained in good academic standing (as defined by the school) during the period of full-time study in Canada."

So the question is how do I prove that I have "at least 15 hours of instruction per week", which apparently are not 15 credits/ units? And I believe most PhD students after their first year do not literally get instructed by someone 15 hours per week.
Check your transcript. It should be mentioned whether or not you're a full-time student for a particular term. Besides, if you are currently under study permit, they won't let you work on campus if you are not a full-time student.

Your attestation letter (which should be issued by the graduate studies office, and stamped by university seal; attestation letter by department will NOT be accepted) should prove that you are currently in a good academic standing as per the school's definition (whatever that means). If you are willing to take the risk, you can add the phrase "full-time" somewhere within your attestation letter, but better not mess with their wording.

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
informer2000 said:
Thank you all for your quick and detailed replies. They are very helpful. I will ask my supervisor for an updated letter and send it to CIC by email and express mail as soon as possible. My application reached CIO on June 28th last year. I can only hope they haven't reached a decision by now. :(
They will assess your application about June 28th. Be quick. You need more duties (copy and paste a few from NOC), and the lead statement (He is assisting me, Dr. ****, as his supervisor, in ****).

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
beh467 said:
This is my updated reference letter

To whom it may concern,
This reference letter is in support of xxxx xxxx's application for Permanent Resident status of Canada through the Skilled Worker and Professionals Class. Mr. xxxx xxxx has been working as a full-time research assistant at the xxxx Department of University of xxxx since he joined us in September 2009 as a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) student.

As a research assistant, he assists me in research activities in the area of xxxx.

His main duties include:

• Conducting literature and technical reviews
o Details here
• Performing laboratory and simulation experiments
o Details here
• Compiling and analyzing research results
o Details here
• Preparing scholarly publications and writing scientific journal papers. During his employment here, Mr. xxxx xxxx has published the following papers:

Since xxxx joined University of xxxx, he has been receiving xxxx for the first year, xxxx for the second year and xxxx for the third year for his research assistantship work. Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) is the main source from whom I receive my research funding. As a research assistant, xxxx has worked 40 hours a week in the xxxx Department, since September 2009. xxxx will receive the research assistantship stipend of xxxx for year 2013 until he finishes his Ph.D. program by xxxx.
Should you have any questions, or require further information, please contact me either via E-mail (xxxx) or by phone xxxx.
That is it!