+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Withdrawing citizenship application

Vistor000

Sep 10, 2014
Hi, having a question regarding withdrawing application.

I received the letter from Citizenship office for writing the test at the beginning of Oct. My dad is hopitzlized in China and I might not be able to attend the test. Even worse, if his condition develops, I will travel between China n' Canada very often. I kinda want to withdraw the Canadian citizenship application this time and reapply when situation allows (given Chinese Govn't doesnt allow duel citizenship).

I called CIC and the rep told me just to simply fill a form and send it in. He said there would be "no impact" to the future application.

Can anybody plz confirm? Shall I withdraw the application now without attending the test, or shall I attend the test anyway then decide? How soon will I get a decision after the test?

Thanks much!!!

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Personally, if I am not leaving Canada before October, I would prepare and write the test. This way, it's done and the next step is waiting for the oath.

L-Tosh

May 19, 2014
I'll advise you to write the test. You should bear it in mind that your current application has gone very far in it's processing and how long this has taken (your waiting period). Remember too that the law has changed and if you withdraws your application now, to apply later, you'll definitely be caught up with the new and tougher requirements.

Vistor000

Sep 10, 2014
Thanks for your suggestion! Really appreciate it. My timeline is:

Sent out the application on April 1, 2014.
Got a confirmation letter on June 10, and
Got the letter to write test on Sept 9...

It was much quicker than I thouhgt and I am just afraid that if I write the test and travel in China when CIC makes a decision for Oath, I might miss it anyway...

I have been working for the same company since 2009 and moved once... I guess if my situation doesnt change dramitacally, I shall be able to reapply? Any idea?

Thanks much!!!

SenoritaBella said:
Personally, if I am not leaving Canada before October, I would prepare and write the test. This way, it's done and the next step is waiting for the oath.

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vistor000 said:
Thanks for your suggestion! Really appreciate it. My timeline is:

Sent out the application on April 1, 2014.
Got a confirmation letter on June 10, and
Got the letter to write test on Sept 9...

It was much quicker than I thouhgt and I am just afraid that if I write the test and travel in China when CIC makes a decision for Oath, I might miss it anyway...

I have been working for the same company since 2009 and moved once... I guess if my situation doesnt change dramitacally, I shall be able to reapply? Any idea?

Thanks much!!!
when r u writing ur test?

Vistor000

Sep 10, 2014
Thanks for the comment! I truely understand C24 has some impact but given I have no plan to leave Canada for more than 30 days in any future given year, I shall be able to qualify again? Thanks again!!!

L-Tosh said:
I'll advise you to write the test. You should bear it in mind that your current application has gone very far in it's processing and how long this has taken (your waiting period). Remember too that the law has changed and if you withdraws your application now, to apply later, you'll definitely be caught up with the new and tougher requirements.

janoo

May 16, 2014
I strongly suggest that you take the test and than when the oath come you may come

for one day to take oath or you can examine the situation at that time but for time

being if you miss the test than you will have to wait for many years and possible

RQ as well..

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
This stuff always happened to applicants from origin countries that don't allow dual-citizenship. When they just send in the application, the feeling is not yet there, but suddenly when thing is almost finalized, there are thoughts like what will happen to my origin citizenship, parents' inheritance, parents' business, etc.
I think you are more being surprised that the process is now fast, not about having to travel more in near future. You should make a final decision. For Chinese applicants, this is a one way ticket, same like me (not Chinese). That's why you can see many Chinese in Canada, but most of them are not citizen. Even more of Japanese and German.

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vistor000 said:
Vancouver, BC
when, not where to write the test. i really would suggest u to write the test and finish the process which is almost everybody's suggestion.

sazamizi

Jan 26, 2014
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should pass the test and get your Canadian passport. Then if you don't want to keep just , then just revoke it!

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sazamizi said:
You should pass the test and get your Canadian passport. Then if you don't want to keep just , then just revoke it!
The fact is, once u give up Chinese citizenship, u can never reclaim it. So our friend has choose 1 over another

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
u4g5 said:
The fact is, once u give up Chinese citizenship, u can never reclaim it. So our friend has choose 1 over another
Even if the OP went ahead and gotten Canadian citizenship, does it means the OP is barred from entering China to visit family all because he/she became Canadian?

I can understand the issue if it came to inheritance and property issues. Since I am not familiar with china's regulation over property or inheritance rules, I can't say much about it. Only a Chinese Naturalized Canadian can contribute what are the ramifications of acquiring a foreign citizenship.

Screech339

sazamizi

Jan 26, 2014
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a Chinese colleague saying he gave up his Chinese citizenship but every time he applies for visa to go back to China and visit his family.

screech339 said:
Even if the OP went ahead and gotten Canadian citizenship, does it means the OP is barred from entering China to visit family all because he/she became Canadian?

I can understand the issue if it came to inheritance and property issues. Since I am not familiar with china's regulation over property or inheritance rules, I can't say much about it. Only a Chinese Naturalized Canadian can contribute what are the ramifications of acquiring a foreign citizenship.

Screech339

Vistor000

Sep 10, 2014
Thanks to all!

Yah, the worst thing here is if I get a Canadian passport, I will have to give up the Chinese one. It cost you almost $100 to get a single-entry visa every time and yes, you need to apply EVERY TIME... :( :( :(

My test is on Oct 3...