+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will arrest record affect applying for Canada EE?

zgz

Nov 1, 2019
Hi All,

I wish someone have knowledge or similar situation could help to answer my questions. Thanks in advance!

I was arrested in USA in 2018, the case was dismissed. Will this arrest record affect my application to Canada Express Entry? Will I be considered as inadmissible to Canada?

If yes, is there anything I could do to overcome the inadmissibility?

Thanks for any help!

zgz

a16107

Apr 14, 2016
They will ask you this question in application "have you been arrested"

you will say Yes and explain...if it's minor mistake they may forgive you

but a conviction will be more serious ...arrest doesn't mean too much

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Hi All,

I wish someone have knowledge or similar situation could help to answer my questions. Thanks in advance!

I was arrested in USA in 2018, the case was dismissed. Will this arrest record affect my application to Canada Express Entry? Will I be considered as inadmissible to Canada?

If yes, is there anything I could do to overcome the inadmissibility?

Thanks for any help!

zgz
It will not affect your application as you had not been convicted. However, you will need to answer 'YES, wherever it is asked if you had ever been arrested. You can explain in your LOE that your case was dismissed [along with copy of the court order] and had not been convicted.

zgz

Nov 1, 2019
They will ask you this question in application "have you been arrested"

you will say Yes and explain...if it's minor mistake they may forgive you

but a conviction will be more serious ...arrest doesn't mean too much
Hi a16107,
Thanks for your reply. I have one more question: will the question "have you been arrested" will be asked when I filling the Express Entry profile or it will only be asked when I apply for permanent residence after get the ITA?

Thanks,
zgz

zgz

Nov 1, 2019
It will not affect your application as you had not been convicted. However, you will need to answer 'YES, wherever it is asked if you had ever been arrested. You can explain in your LOE that your case was dismissed [along with copy of the court order] and had not been convicted.
Hi dotslash227,

Thanks for your reply. Is LOE (letter of explanation) must be written by my attorney? could I write it myself?

And when I will be asked if I had been arrest before? when I filling the Express Entry profile online or when I apply for permanent residence after get the ITA?

Thanks,
zgz

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Hi dotslash227,

Thanks for your reply. Is LOE (letter of explanation) must be written by my attorney? could I write it myself?

And when I will be asked if I had been arrest before? when I filling the Express Entry profile online or when I apply for permanent residence after get the ITA?

Thanks,
zgz
The LOE can be drafted and signed by you, an attorney is not needed.

You will be asked after you get an ITA.