+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What to do to extend stay in Canada? I am a citizen of exempt visa country

nikkys

Dec 8, 2010
Hello everyone!

I am a citizen of exempt visa country and my status at the port of entry was given by the agent till 20 December 2010. I just got married and want to stay and apply for my sponsorship inland. There is no information on the cic official site what citizens of exempt visa countries should do in case they want to extend their 30 days given initially.
What do I have to do to extend my visitor visa and where? And if yes, what are the chances of a positive outcome? Can I be asked to go back now that I am married and intend to apply inland for PR???

Did anyone do that before?
Thanks a lot to all replying to my post!

Nikky

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is information on the CIC site, it applies to everyone, not specifically visa exempt countries.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

You need to get the extension application to immigration before 20 December 2010, if you send it by courier, make sure you get proof of receipt (a signature).
You can submit online.

The chances of success depend on your specific case, there is no guarantee.

Right now, yes you can be asked to leave even if you are married. Just getting married to a Canadian does not bestow any rights on you.

Of course you could try and apply for PR inland in 12 days, but unless you have every document that you need, it is likely to take longer.

How long have you been in Canada?

nikkys

Dec 8, 2010
Hello!
Many thanks for your clear reply - I really truly appreciate your help! :)
I entered Cda on the 20 Nov. 2010, and just got a stamp to stay till 20 dec. 2010
We did not plan to marry at all - things just happend! it is simply chemistry

Do you happen to know if I can submit all the necessary documents online? I mean scanned documents and word/pdf. files? So should I have them prepared in advance?
Also if I apply online do I need to also send my papaer application too?
On what will I receive the cic decision? is it gonna be a visa or just a letter? do I need to send my passport in?

Sorry for I have so many questions :-[ and thanks a lot for your help!!!
Nikky

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok lets just talk about the visa extension (I realize you don't have one).

You can apply online, uploaded scans are fine - online takes about 50 days.
Paper version takes just over 100 days.
You pay online in both cases, you print an online receipt.
Also in both cases you have implied status once you apply - that status continues all the way through until CIC make a decision.
If you apply the paper route get a signature as proof of delivery (you may need the proof), if you apply online, make sure you print the important pages.

I have only ever applied via the paper route, so I do not know the exact details of online process. As far as I know you do not send paper versions after an online application.
You only send copies of documents anyway and you don't send your passport, just copies of the information pages and any pages with stamps on them.
See the CIC notes for full details.

Ask as many questions as you want, the people here are very helpful.

On the subject of PR, can I ask how long two you have been "together" (not just together in Canada)?
The PR process is not fast, and there are various ways to apply. Some things don't help the PR process, so asking questions before you jump in is good.

nikkys

Dec 8, 2010
WOW!!! Thanxx again for your help! do not know many people to give answers in such details like you :)))

We'we been together (e-mailing, chatting and phone talking) about 9 months now - but now that we met all we want is to be together.
I know I can apply from my country of residence for the PR but what we want is just be together here & now especially that Xmas and NY are close :)

Is there any other critical issue that I might need to know about the visa extention and/or PR?

A big thank you again, you're a really special person!
and I'll keep in touch with you here guys :)

Nikky

_696_

Nov 24, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Not yet
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
You will be able to scan and upload all required documents vis their site. First of all you need to get a MyCIC account, read this and follow link to make you a new account which you will need for the whole process [ ww.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/epass.asp#question2 ].

Documents required are

*proof of funds you claim to have at your disposal.
*Passport pages where all critical information is [first 2-3 pages depending on passport as well as any other page which might have a Visitor record or a leave by date stamped]
*Proof of payment of extension fees [ only required if you do not pay online using their payment tool]

In any case after you make your account and log in all the info is being prompted by the system and you just follow the steps as you complete your application. If you do not complete it in one shot, you can keep it saved and send it in no longer than 60 days.

For the rest its just pay and send. now remember after you send this app and after your current status expires you will be granted implied status until they get back to you with the extension or refusal. By applying online you have a waiting time of around 48 days and if you send by mail its about 110, so if you would like to make th e most out of the implied status send it by mail but make sure it makes it there in time as baloo suggested.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nikkys said:
We've been together (e-mailing, chatting and phone talking) about 9 months now - but now that we met all we want is to be together.
You should gather up as much information about the relationship, chat logs, phone bills, skype logs etc. you will need it, also start taking pictures of all the things you do together.

nikkys said:
I know I can apply from my country of residence for the PR but what we want is just be together here & now especially that Xmas and NY are close :)
You can also apply in Canada - do a search of the forum on "inland vs outland".
In my case, I am in Canada applying outland (I have to be able to travel and inland is faster than outland).
I can understand why you want to stay close to your spouse, is this your first visit to Canada? IMHO Christmas and new year are great here.
What country are you from?

nikkys said:
Is there any other critical issue that I might need to know about the visa extention and/or PR?

There is a lot to do for PR - you need to get it right.
Start by reading the documents about sponsoring a spouse on the CIC web site.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

Check that your husband meets the conditions to be a sponsor, and that you meet all the conditions, no criminal record, no contagious diseases that will infect or impact Canadian public :)

Have you sent off your visa extension yet? If not you could pay for the first part of the Pr application and include the receipt, if not, no issue you can do it a bit later.
Either way you need to apply for the extension ASAP, ask for at least six months, many people request a year.
You can get the medical done in Canada at a DMP, the list is on the CIC site.

You will no doubt have loads of questions, just ask, as I said people here are helpful.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also be aware you will need to look at getting some medical cover, or extending what you have.
Oh, one other thing, you cant work in Canada when applying outland.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
_696_ said:
*Proof of payment of extension fees [ only required if you do not pay online using their payment tool]
I always pay online but submit by courier, so I print a copy of the online receipt and include it in the extension application package.

nikkys

Dec 8, 2010
Wow, my God! you guys are AMAZING! I learned so many things since yesterday. Now will have to sit with my spouse and decide what we should do with the sponsorship, if inland or outside Cda (and should rush with gathering the documents for the extention)
Thanks to all again for your help - it's wonderful to have people helping people when in need :) Who said good people don't exist?????
;)

BTW I am from Norway

Where are you guys from?

Nikky

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Originally the UK.

Don't forget to get the extension application sent, or you will end up applying for PR from Norway :)

James_Jarlson

Dec 2, 2010
My Japanese girlfriend's visitor status is about to expire. Is 'we are planning to get married in Jan. or Feb' a good reason for an extension? (We also have proof of enough $ and my support letter).

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply, and then your girlfriend will have "implied status" - if you apply offline then you should get about 100 days before a reply - allowing enough time for you to get married.
Online is about half that time.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Yup, apply offline :), meaning, send the application package by mail. Make sure though that you send the supporting documents together with the app (bio page of passport, marked pages of passport showing when she arrived in Canada or VR if given one when she got here, and your supporting letter, together with a copy of your status in Canada, i.e. citizen or PR) .

Baloo said:
You can apply, and then your girlfriend will have "implied status" - if you apply offline then you should get about 100 days before a reply - allowing enough time for you to get married.
Online is about half that time.