+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What kind of Survival Jobs are in canada.

ASK

Dec 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 Oct 2009
AOR Received.
29 Jun 2010
File Transfer...
06 Jan 2010
Med's Request
09 Oct 2012
Med's Done....
20 Oct 2012
Passport Req..
04 June 2013
VISA ISSUED...
01 July 2013
LANDED..........
06 Oct 2013 (hopefully)
If you have not viewed this video before, make the best of it now. I personally feel that Dr. Lionel Laroche gets it right for all the newcomers for finding a job in Canada.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhA3zeELPzc

Duration: 45 mins 03 secs

Hope it helps.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
Top comment from jake bristol 3 months ago

"the only two points needed in succeeding getting a higher paid job in Canada are the color of your skin and the country you come from"

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Survival jobs sometimes become permanent -- there is no formula to succeeding, nor is there any magic time you work the survival job before everything comes together. I once saw a conference where the B.C. government found six FSW immigrants to come talk about their success; it was very nice, but every one of the 6 had gone into real estate and not the 'useful skill' for which they immigrated!

Think very carefully about where you go -- consider ONLY employment. If your relative is living in Halifax or Victoria but the IT jobs are in Toronto . . . then, my friend, you go to Toronto and survive by yourself.

Also, here's the thing about world class experience -- it doesn't exist. Suppose you've been managing the most awesome investment bank in London; the biggest investment bank in Toronto has plenty of locals 'just below' the level of manager. They will look at your application, but they will also look at the application of people they know, who have already been doing the work, and they will hire one of those. So you go to Thunder Bay instead -- does Thunder Bay need world class experience? Hell no, World Class Experience will leave Thunder Bay as fast as it can. Thunder Bay hires the bank manager from the bank assistant managers who already live there and like it just fine. If you have World Class Experience you need to think very carefully about how you are going to compete at the World Level with Canadians who are also World Class. It's the same as having a PhD and applying for a job with a masters.

Sometimes I see a very interesting job that I'm qualified for -- it pays a lot of money, it looks great. Then I tell myself, "There are people who worked just under the person who just quit. What do I have that would make me more attractive than those people?" (Because everyone likes to get a raise and a promotion, do I think they won't apply?) If the answer is 'nothing', I don't apply. This is what it means to be an immigrant, you are a stranger with qualifications, you have to go where you are needed, not where you fit best.

rhmanalili

Nov 6, 2009
Calgary, AB, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-11-2009
Doc's Request.
19-03-2010
AOR Received.
13-07-2010
Med's Request
28-09-2010 / 27-10-2010
Med's Done....
26-10-2010
Passport Req..
30-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-07-2011
LANDED..........
17-09-2011
I totally agree with you RockinCanada in your statements. I guess this stems out from the fact that people inside the industry (for example: dentists), would like to secure those scarce openings/opportunities to people who actually had their qualifications done here in Canada. I saw a documentary on television that says, there seems to be an "IN" group among these professionals that governs who can be considered eligible to practice in their profession (i.e. maintaining the levels of service that the general public expects). Hence all these upgrading and qualification. This is just assurance that the professionals who are actually practicing the profession have the right qualifications. The screening done by CIC is an initial filter for the FSW class....once in Canada...one has to "go through the hoops" of proving that the acquired international skills are apt for the Canadian general public. Of course that would take money and time.

RockinCanada said:
Canada does not recognise any experience acquired anywhere in the world to my knowledge. I dont know what they are looking for. We are called here as skilled workers but they dont recognise the skills..whats the point.

A doctor has to study again to be a doctor, an accountant needs to study again to be an accountant....cant really understand how a human body is different than anywhere in the world, same diseases, same medicines (with different name though).

rhmanalili

Nov 6, 2009
Calgary, AB, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-11-2009
Doc's Request.
19-03-2010
AOR Received.
13-07-2010
Med's Request
28-09-2010 / 27-10-2010
Med's Done....
26-10-2010
Passport Req..
30-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-07-2011
LANDED..........
17-09-2011
Very informative this video.

On hindsight...this is really true....soft skills really play an important role in the Canadian market.

ASK said:
If you have not viewed this video before, make the best of it now. I personally feel that Dr. Lionel Laroche gets it right for all the newcomers for finding a job in Canada.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhA3zeELPzc

Duration: 45 mins 03 secs

Hope it helps.

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
There are 1 job available for 100 Landed Immigrants. the proportion is like that.
The condition is sick.
Doctors have to go through a rigorous 3 round of Licensing exams where most of them fail to pass.
Engineers : Canada itself cannot give jobs to its own graduates let alone the foreign Engineers.
IT : This is the most sick part of Job. Many non IT educational background people also flocked in Canada learned a some bits and pieces of IT and now occupying in the job applying market. these people are destroying the IT job field. Canadians giving ads for jobs those they are not getting anyone to fill with from their own country.

mikenz

Sep 5, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jnathan said:
Doctors have to go through a rigorous 3 round of Licensing exams where most of them fail to pass.
Engineers : Canada itself cannot give jobs to its own graduates let alone the foreign Engineers.
IT : This is the most sick part of Job. Canadians giving ads for jobs those they are not getting anyone to fill with from their own country.
Well am I glad then not being a Doctor, Engineer or IT guy.. ;)