+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

we got married pretty quickly!

mimi263

Star Member
Aug 13, 2012
My husband and I got married pretty quickly as well, we met online in April, met in Mach, engaged in June, civil ceremony in September and formal ceremony and reception in October 2012, we sent our application in December so were also praying all goes well! Our relationship developed quickly for the same reasons yours did, we fell in love and met one another's expectations in a life partner. You have a up on us that your from a country where the approval rate is high, my husband is Nigerian. We sent lots of pictures, emailes, cell phone and some declarations from family and friends, and other proofs. We're praying all goes well and they don't scrutinize us too muc.

so-impatient

Star Member
Jan 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2013
File Transfer...
7-03-2013
Med's Done....
Sent with file
Interview........
Waived!!
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
DM -23-08-2013
LANDED..........
will land 03-10-2013
mimi263 said:
My husband and I got married pretty quickly as well, we met online in April, met in Mach, engaged in June, civil ceremony in September and formal ceremony and reception in October 2012, we sent our application in December so were also praying all goes well! Our relationship developed quickly for the same reasons yours did, we fell in love and met one another's expectations in a life partner. You have a up on us that your from a country where the approval rate is high, my husband is Nigerian. We sent lots of pictures, emailes, cell phone and some declarations from family and friends, and other proofs. We're praying all goes well and they don't scrutinize us too muc.
Good luck girl!

Hope goes well for both of us. I hate being away from him.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
so-impatient said:
Ok so further question - on the forms we ticked - No - to me recieving financial support from him- if we do all this now - we have to change that to 'yes' i presume?
IMO I would still check 'no'. Financial support is more of an ongoing thing that would help with your day-to-day life. From what you've described it sounds to me like he is giving you gifts and air tickets, so would not be considered support.

Which is why im not sure about the joint bank account thing - infact we agreed that we dont want a joint bank account so i feel weird doing it just for the application.

My life is so well established here -my job insures me for everything and his lfie so well established there we just dont need all these thigns now
It doesn't need to be a bank account. As i mentioned, a shared credit card is just as good. However you should definitely have some sort of shared finances. It looks very suspicious if a couple gets married and applies for immigration, yet keeps their finances completely independent from each other.

Spousal term life insurance on each other is another incredibly easy and cheap thing to get, and looks great on an application. After the immigration procedure is finished you can just cancel it if you like.

so-impatient

Star Member
Jan 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2013
File Transfer...
7-03-2013
Med's Done....
Sent with file
Interview........
Waived!!
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
DM -23-08-2013
LANDED..........
will land 03-10-2013
Rob_TO said:
IMO I would still check 'no'. Financial support is more of an ongoing thing that would help with your day-to-day life. From what you've described it sounds to me like he is giving you gifts and air tickets, so would not be considered support.

It doesn't need to be a bank account. As i mentioned, a shared credit card is just as good. However you should definitely have some sort of shared finances. It looks very suspicious if a couple gets married and applies for immigration, yet keeps their finances completely independent from each other.

Spousal term life insurance on each other is another incredibly easy and cheap thing to get, and looks great on an application. After the immigration procedure is finished you can just cancel it if you like.
Great advice rob! thanks so much :)

ZebraJCH

Star Member
Jan 9, 2012
But won't all this stuff look weird when done last second?

I am not trying to offend or irritate anybody, I'm just asking questions from being interested in these same things but being too worried to try it.

I just imagine someone seeing, "Huh. This was -real soon- before the application was filed." and it causing problems. Stuff like sharing a credit account, etc. Wouldn't that annoy them somehow?

so-impatient

Star Member
Jan 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2013
File Transfer...
7-03-2013
Med's Done....
Sent with file
Interview........
Waived!!
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
DM -23-08-2013
LANDED..........
will land 03-10-2013
ZebraJCH said:

I am not trying to offend or irritate anybody, I'm just asking questions from being interested in these same things but being too worried to try it.

I just imagine someone seeing, "Huh. This was -real soon- before the application was filed." and it causing problems. Stuff like sharing a credit account, etc. Wouldn't that annoy them somehow?
Whats your story zebra?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ZebraJCH said:

How would anyone know it was done last second?? If you show a joint credit card account, it doesn't say anything about when the card was made into a joint account. Ditto for life insurance... you can just show the main page that shows beneficiary names and insured amount information. VO reviewing the file wouldn't know if it was done 1 month or 1 year ago.

Plus the OP has just gotten married quite recently, so it makes perfect sense they are just now getting all their finances and life together. Also most people want to get their PR quickly so will submit the application as soon as possible after the wedding, so its natural all these things would be done right before the application is submitted.

blagogalia

Star Member
Nov 20, 2012
Cyprus
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
hopefully on 01.03.2013
Hi everyone,

Here is the story of our quick marriage:

We know each other since 2005 but just as friends only - partying with friends,going to the gym together,etc. After one summer of hanging out together our roads split. We found each other again about 2 years ago in internet. After 8 months of talking almost every night in skype we met in October 2011 and spent a week together. We got married in February 2012 and applied for PR in May 2012. I`m worried this sounds pretty quickly and don`t know what to expect. So far I don`t have any answer from Bucharest VO.

Best regards!

Allydx

Dec 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-02-2013
Med's Done....
?
VISA ISSUED...
?
Hello,

My husband and I got married quite quickly as well. We met February 2011. We just clicked so well and we fell in love instantly. In April we were enganged and married in August. As we were filling out the application that was one of my main concerns too. That they may not see our relationship as genuine. Also too because my husband is older than me by quite a few years. We sent our application in last months and we just pray that everything goes well and goes quickly.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
Rob_TO said:
How would anyone know it was done last second?? If you show a joint credit card account, it doesn't say anything about when the card was made into a joint account. Ditto for life insurance... you can just show the main page that shows beneficiary names and insured amount information. VO reviewing the file wouldn't know if it was done 1 month or 1 year ago.

Plus the OP has just gotten married quite recently, so it makes perfect sense they are just now getting all their finances and life together. Also most people want to get their PR quickly so will submit the application as soon as possible after the wedding, so its natural all these things would be done right before the application is submitted.
In my view, if you open a joint account right before sending the application, it could potentially raise an eyebrow or two.

In my situation, we had the joint account activated about 6 months prior to sending the application to CIC. Even with 6 months I was concerned they might get the wrong impression. That said, our relationship had been going on for years, so it wasn't a major concern.

I think it all boils down to how well you tell your story, whether it be words, pictures, or other proof.

FS

Kiwi12

Star Member
Nov 21, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
29-06-2012
File Transfer...
Interview........
Waived AIP:February 13, 2013
LANDED..........
December 20, 2013
I got married quickly also. Our file is inland and was transferred prior to AIP. I am not at all surprised by this. Our application went in a month after the marriage. When the file was transferred prior to AIP I sent in mounds of supporting documentation which had accumulated from the time the application was submitted to the time the file transferred. It is hard to send in a great deal of proof when the relationship hasn't developed over a long period of time. Also, if you are applying outland and not living together then the relationship isn't establishing itself as it would if you were living together. Joint bank accounts, credit cards, insurance from one's place of work and such are generally done when you are living in the same home. Obviously my workplace would never cover extended benefits if my husband didn't live with me. Professional people often keep their own name and people who are living apart are quite independent already so I can only see being able to utilize family, friends, and colleagues who witness the relationship as being your best source of evidence, other than the wedding photos and most of all the written emails that show your initial contact and how quickly the relationship progressed. It is likely that an interview will take place. I would be shocked if it didn't. Good luck to everyone.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Fencesitter said:
In my view, if you open a joint account right before sending the application, it could potentially raise an eyebrow or two.
No, i dont think it would at all.

First off, the VO would have no way of knowing WHEN the joint account or insurance was applied for, if you don't want them to know. Just make sure you only show them proof of an account existing, not when it was actually opened. They will never contact a bank or insurance company to actually inquire.

And second, its perfectly normal for people to get married and then want their PR as soon as humanly possible, so they submit the application as soon as they can (most often within weeks or months of the marriage). And also considering things like joining finances are commonly done AFTER marriage, its perfectly acceptable that the timing of these things are done right before an app is mailed in.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
We said "no" to the 'financial support' question all along. We didn't want to have to go through "proving" it. For what it's worth and only since no one else has mentioned (as far as I've read), it's not as though you married him coming from a 'non-visa exempt' country. That's gotta grant you a little extra leeway, IMO.

Tipha

Star Member
Jun 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna (principle applicant)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-May-2012 (rec. 22-May-2012)
AOR Received.
27-August-2012 Vienna
File Transfer...
12-July-2012
Med's Done....
02-March-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
19-Sep-2012 (rec. 27-Sep-2012)
LANDED..........
09-Nov-2012
One question if its not to much to ask...but did you know your husband as cousin before the romance began? like, did you know you had a cousin in Canada, but no contact to him untill your trip there? You might want to explain that too in the application and that it is no issue for you two or your family, cause not everywhere it is common or ok if cousins marry and also that you didnt see your cousin as a chance to live in Canada. Other than that you got good advices of the other members here, dont leave any doubts or questions open in your application, look at your application as someone that has no relationship to you and that needs to understand your story. On the financial part, say as it is! you are a doctor, you earn good money, so does your husband, but you still help each other and he also payed for your trips or other things, and you did so in return too, just show you share money and emotions, as it was mentioned in an earlier post. You can answer the support question with "no" but if you feel the need you can explain this on an extra sheet. My husband put me on his benefits at work too after our marriage. We never had and dont have, even though we live together now, a joined account. But our relationship was not as fast as yours, we knew each other over 2 years before we sent in the application, and we were also married for over a half year at that time, just cause it took us quiet long to get the whole application together. I know there has been some fast marriages on this forum too, but i dont know how successful they were. The most important is you explain all well, be honest and include a lot proof that supports your story.

AnaMaria

May 2, 2012
New Westminster, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
09-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012!
Rob_TO said:
No, i dont think it would at all.

First off, the VO would have no way of knowing WHEN the joint account or insurance was applied for.
True. We opened a joint account and were wondering how it would look. But the statement would not show the date it was opened.

If OP shared the expenses for reception/wedding, that would show the joint financial commitment. My partner did not send money to me or vice versa as we were financially independent. But we share household expenses and we included that as proof.