+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Want to move to Canada

It says:

Anticipated date of arrival in Canada: Please note you must enter Canada after 17th February 2009 but before 31st January 2010.

This date can be estimated at this stage.

and then:

Anticipated city of Orientation

So I assume I can just leave it blank.

EDIT:

I've applied now, so hopefully everything goes ok.

Thanks for all the help you have given me Leon, I appreciate it.

EDIT AGAIN:

How do I go about obtaining my police background check?

I got my booklet and forms posted to me, I have to attend a meeting in either:

Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal.

- which one of them would be best to go to if I am going to be heading down to Halifax?

- what would be easiest way (and maybe cheapest) to get to Halifax from whichever city I go to?

- any idea what the average price for flight would be (I'm planning on going late July/early August) ... just so I can start saving my money up and work out how much I'll need.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Montreal is a shorter flight but they are all French there. I assume they have their orientation in English though. Toronto is not too much further for a flight and the prices should be similar. Vancouver is no good for you, other end of the country.

Thanks, looks like there's going to be a lot of hard work then.

I'll probably fly to Toronto then, attend the meeting there, and possibly see if my girlfriend is willing to come down to Toronto by car then we can take a long journey back to Halifax.

Also, Leon, is this the police check thing I need to fill in?

I just complete the form, print it off and send, yeah?

And would you think it's best to book my flights with Bunac and travel with a group to Canada, or travel by myself?

This all seems like alot of work, and I am planning to go end of July/early August, do you think I'll be able to have it all sorted out by then?

Also Leon, thanks for all the help you have give me, my girlfriend and I both appreciate it.

I think I just need to:

- obtain my police background check

- fill in the forms sent by BUNAC

- order tickets, which I won't do until BUNAC have responded to the forms I send

have you any idea how much the flight will cost to Canada? and do you think I will need a lot of money to spend, or just enough to last me while I look for a job?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think you will have the time to sort it out if you keep working at it. Don't postpone stuff until it's too late.

You shouldn't need too much money, you will be living at your gf's right? Just until you find a job. You can check the Air Canada website for flights. It's at http://www.aircanada.com/ Also Air Transat at http://www.airtransat.co.uk/en/index.aspx and probably some other ones too.

Yeah, I will be staying at girlfriends, I'm working on all the stuff still, just unsure whether to travel alone or as a group, I think group will be best for me, due to me being shy and I get nervous travelling alone (even though I have done it before)

I might see if my gf will travel down to Toronto and we can stay in a hotel and stuff and I'll tell her I will pay, so hopefully she'll agree.

EDIT:

one thing I am unsure on:

when I was there in January, they asked me why I was there and I said I was coming to see my girlfriend, now this time, I am going to be working for a year, and seeing my girlfriend, even though I will have a return ticket, do you think they will refuse me by thinking that I am planning on staying for good (even though I am) or you think everything will be fine as long as I convince them I plan to go at the end of 12 months?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you get approved for the visa and you have a return ticket, I think you should be fine.

Leon said:
I think you will have the time to sort it out if you keep working at it. Don't postpone stuff until it's too late.

You shouldn't need too much money, you will be living at your gf's right? Just until you find a job. You can check the Air Canada website for flights. It's at http://www.aircanada.com/ Also Air Transat at http://www.airtransat.co.uk/en/index.aspx and probably some other ones too.
I just checked these two sites for average prices, the first one was around £900 and other one was around £300

any idea why there is a big difference between them?

I went on Air Transat, put in the approx date I am leaving (24th July 2009) and return date (24th July 2010)

it just seems really cheap. Are they usually like that?

Also, when applying for the police check, it says they need a copy of my passport page, does it matter whether this page is in colour or black and white?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Air Canada has better food and TV screens in the back of the seats? Or maybe the other one just has a special deal going. I don't know.

I think a black and white copy would be fine.

Ok, I'll probably fly with Air Transat, I assume they'll be ok to fly with.

I don't care about TV etc.. on plane, just as long as I get there ok, I'm fine.

Most of my forms seem to be filled out now, I just need to obtain 2 documents with proof of address and get a picture took and have it signed by someone who's known me for 2 years+

Hopefully it'll all work out for me, my girlfriend wants me there now, so as soon as I got it sorted I can let her know when I am going and it'll remove aload of stress from the both of us.

Ok, I got another (probably stupid) question

When sending off the picture of my passport information page, do you think it's ok if I scanned the page to my computer myself and printed it that way? or will I need to have it done by a photocopier at a library or something?

Thanks Leon.

When applying for my police background check, they require 2 pieces of information confirming my address, and on the form it says 'do not send original copies'

So do I just scan them to my computer and send the version I print out? =/