+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa while on E.I.

Feb 1, 2018
Hello friends,
I am planning to apply for Visitor Visa (TRV) for my widowed mom. However, I have been laid-off in August 2017 with a severance package which supports me till Feb 2018 and also applied for E.I. which might start in April if I don't get a job till then. My wife is working though. My question is what should I write in my invitation letter as I don't have a job now but I can show 2016 NOA for me and my wife. My wife can even show her job letter, pay stubs etc. Should I be straight forward and state that I am being laid -off and actively looking for job and state my previous salary but I got the package to support myself or just don't disclose anything related to that?

Thanks,
Dave S

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hello friends,
I am planning to apply for Visitor Visa (TRV) for my widowed mom. However, I have been laid-off in August 2017 with a severance package which supports me till Feb 2018 and also applied for E.I. which might start in April if I don't get a job till then. My wife is working though. My question is what should I write in my invitation letter as I don't have a job now but I can show 2016 NOA for me and my wife. My wife can even show her job letter, pay stubs etc. Should I be straight forward and state that I am being laid -off and actively looking for job and state my previous salary but I got the package to support myself or just don't disclose anything related to that?

Thanks,
Dave S
No need to mention that you have been laid off. CIC will only look at the NOA or bank statements for financial stability.

Feb 1, 2018
I am not sure if I should have only my wife invite my mom since CIC might argue why the real son is not inviting etc. My mom has been here in Canada once before in 2011 and went back before expiry of her visa. Only thing concerning me is how should I word my situation in my invitation letter.

Feb 1, 2018
No need to mention that you have been laid off. CIC will only look at the NOA or bank statements for financial stability.
How should I word / present my invitation letter? Last time I invited her I mentioned my job title and salary. Should I write that I made $x amount of income last year and that's it ? This is the only challenging part - I am not getting the idea of how I should word myself in the invitation letter.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I am not sure if I should have only my wife invite my mom since CIC might argue why the real son is not inviting etc. My mom has been here in Canada once before in 2011 and went back before expiry of her visa. Only thing concerning me is how should I word my situation in my invitation letter.
You can include an invitation letter signed by yourself and co-signed by your wife + your marriage certificate

Feb 1, 2018
You can include an invitation letter signed by yourself and co-signed by your wife + your marriage certificate
Sure, that's what I will do. However, do someone have a quick example of how I should word my part of the invitation letter?
For Example, Typically, we say - "I, name____, am employed with __Company name_____ as ___Job title__ with annual salary of ____x amount" and my income for 2016 was ____x amount. NOA attached and same thing for my wife. Now in lay-off situation, I can still produce 2016 NOAs with sufficient earnings but what should I write instead of the statement above because I cannot state I am employed as ____?