+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa Agency or Do it yourself?

nlmd2011

Nov 17, 2011
Hello 

Looking for some guidance if possible on the Skilled Worker visa for Canada.

My partner and I are both keen to apply for the Skilled Worker Visa (we are UK citizens and would be applying from the UK). Having complete the online tests, we both seem to have enough points to qualify and we’ve been considering options to start the process.

There are obviously loads of visa agencies offering their services to help with the application so I wanted to find out from anyone that has gone through the process already if a visa agent was really necessary.

Clearly the visa agency websites all indicate that their service is essential to be successful and that many people who complete the application themselves are rejected because of avoidable errors on their application. Whilst I’m sure this is true to some extent, the fees attached to the services offered are considerable and makes me wonder if we could do it ourselves if we are thorough enough.

Would welcome any advice from anyone that has been through this process whether through a visa agency or by themselves! Apologies if this has been asked before, please direct me to the appropriate post if it has, I was having trouble searching for a similar topic on the forum!

Also something I’ve been trying to research online and through the forums is, do you need to complete an English language test even if English is your native language?

Thanks!
Natalie

wilbur

Star Member
Aug 5, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-04-2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with app
AOR Received.
02-06-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with app
File Transfer...
19-07-2011
Med's Request
02-09-2011
Med's Done....
03-09-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2011
LANDED..........
15-10-2011
Do it yourself!!

All the information you need is in the CIC website, it takes sometime but if you follow all the instructions you won't have any problem.

I think that you need to take the IELTS even if your native language is English, I remember that I saw some american guys during the test.

Good luck!

Wilbur

Kummy29

Aug 9, 2011
Iowa,USA
Visa Office......
Detroit
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2009
Doc's Request.
30-09-2009
Nomination.....
10-01-2010
AOR Received.
17-09-2010
IELTS Request
10-01-2010
File Transfer...
05-10-2011
Med's Request
23-02-2012
Med's Done....
06-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April-04,2012
VISA ISSUED...
Apr 13, 2012
LANDED..........
28-May,2012
I would strongly suggest that "DO IT YOURSELF"...

That way, you would know the process in full, work on your own documents, and dont have to wait for consultants to give you an update !

Be prepared to spend a lot of time on the CIC website and this forum before and after you apply.

And of course, you will save some money.

There are really good experts (Mitali,OMM,Room3,Qorox,Professional1 to name a few) here who could assisst better than even CIC website ! so, why go to a consultant?

I did apply through a consultant, and have been actively involved in this forum to get answers and insights on my case.

Good luck !

Just another opportunity to THANK Mitali here, for her attitude to meticulously help others!

omm

Champion Member
Aug 27, 2009
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
all supporting documents you have to arrange consultant not help in this.
If you have time to fill-out all forms, arrange documents as per check list, send post or courrier on time than dont go with consultant.
They will just fill forms and arrange documents for you and send it by post or courrier to CIO or VO nothing more in consultant hands.

But if you FEEL that you dont get more time to read all forms and instructions how to fill out etc (you can ask us here on the forum) and you dont have time to send courriers on time (OR you dont have time to read and post your query here on the forum) then hire consultant otherwise NO NEED to hire them (you can save lots of money if you do your own).

OMM

nlmd2011 said:
Hello 

Looking for some guidance if possible on the Skilled Worker visa for Canada.

My partner and I are both keen to apply for the Skilled Worker Visa (we are UK citizens and would be applying from the UK). Having complete the online tests, we both seem to have enough points to qualify and we've been considering options to start the process.

There are obviously loads of visa agencies offering their services to help with the application so I wanted to find out from anyone that has gone through the process already if a visa agent was really necessary.

Clearly the visa agency websites all indicate that their service is essential to be successful and that many people who complete the application themselves are rejected because of avoidable errors on their application. Whilst I'm sure this is true to some extent, the fees attached to the services offered are considerable and makes me wonder if we could do it ourselves if we are thorough enough.

Would welcome any advice from anyone that has been through this process whether through a visa agency or by themselves! Apologies if this has been asked before, please direct me to the appropriate post if it has, I was having trouble searching for a similar topic on the forum!

Also something I've been trying to research online and through the forums is, do you need to complete an English language test even if English is your native language?

Thanks!
Natalie

nlmd2011

Nov 17, 2011
Thank you guys, really appreciate it! Having looked through the guide on the CIC website and gone through each form, whilst it is a huge amount of work, it doesn't seem like it requires a professional to do it when there are forums, websites, guides etc that can help with any queries!

omm

Champion Member
Aug 27, 2009
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nlmd2011 said:
Thank you guys, really appreciate it! Having looked through the guide on the CIC website and gone through each form, whilst it is a huge amount of work, it doesn't seem like it requires a professional to do it when there are forums, websites, guides etc that can help with any queries!
Thats true... it's simple, even if you want more space to explain you can attache seperate pages.

OMM

haral

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
based on my personal example DIY -

i went through lots of anxiety before taking a decision on whether to hire a consultant or do it on my own... once i took a decision to do it my own and made a plan based on certain checklists on what i need to do and locked deadlines for myself to get all sorts of documents - the rest took care of itself..

now when i look back i know it was the right one..

the major advantage is the knowledge i gained through the process and know the strenghts and weaknesses in my case...

amish

Star Member
Nov 8, 2011
Dear expert,

I have seen so many information on cic site for FSW only, and i came to know about the procedure.
But my question is i know the procedure of principal applicant, what is the procedure for dependent i.e spouce application.

For example, if someone apply and his spouce also will give accompany to canada with her husband then what is the DOCUMENT CHECKLIST for spouce. and which forms will be applicable for spouce only?

Thanks for this site and all of u who can guide in proper and m realy happy and thankful to u.

omm

Champion Member
Aug 27, 2009
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ Amish,

Read this on Page 2:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5612e.pdf

For more information visit same CIC link find out Manual read it , it's easy to understand.
All forms available on CIC website in pdf format.

OMM

haral

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
am not an expert but can help with your query. go to the following ling...the page is from CIC's official website...its has all the forms, guide and checklist you need for submitting your application...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled.asp

amish said:
Dear expert,

I have seen so many information on cic site for FSW only, and i came to know about the procedure.
But my question is i know the procedure of principal applicant, what is the procedure for dependent i.e spouce application.

For example, if someone apply and his spouce also will give accompany to canada with her husband then what is the DOCUMENT CHECKLIST for spouce. and which forms will be applicable for spouce only?

Thanks for this site and all of u who can guide in proper and m realy happy and thankful to u.

cmoraes

Mar 9, 2010
Do it yourself !!!

Even if you hire a lawyer, you have to do all the legwork and get all the documents ready. The forms are not difficult to fill out. You may need to spend 1-2 months reading all the initial documents and asking questions on the forum. After that it is easy. Also note that a lot of experts/lawyers may also not know much about the process. When you do it yourself, you are in control.

omarko

Star Member
Nov 12, 2011
do it with a lawyer company cuz your application will not be sent to the VO till your package is 100% fully completed ....try David Cohen office and u wont be disappointed ...... ok...thanx..

jennermb

Oct 30, 2011
Hi. My advice to you is to ask past clients of those consultancy firms. That way you can know firsthand their experiences both good and bad. Not all past, present, and future applicants are members of this forum, right?