+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Valid TRV and applied for PGWP from outside canada. Can I re-enter?

Patron000

May 13, 2024
Hi all,

I have a valid S1 TRV and have applied for PGWP. I travelled back to my home country and will be flying back to Canada next week. Since my student visa(TRV) is valid till Sept 2024, is there any possibility of facing issues at the port of entry?

foreigner1

Jan 21, 2017
I did travelled and didn’t had any issues at the port of entry. You’re good to travel if your TRV is valid.
Was your PGWP approved after you re-entered Canada? Did you mention to the officer at the port of entry that you applied for your PGWP outside of Canada? Thanks.

Patron000

May 13, 2024
Was your PGWP approved after you re-entered Canada? Did you mention to the officer at the port of entry that you applied for your PGWP outside of Canada? Thanks.
Yes it did got approved. My port of entry was Montreal. I was asked by the officer if I’m working somewhere. I informed him my PGWP is in implied status. That’s it! No other questions were asked.
If you’re applying for PGWP from outside canada and you’re planning to come back, choose the option for PGWP(within canada). I made the mistake for completing (outside canada) application. And later on end up getting that approved and have to withdraw it and pay for another application for PGWP(inside canada). This way my work permit got delivered at my address in canada. If you’ll gonna apply from outside Canada, then the process will be same as study permit (get it stamped first then collect work permit from port of entry).

foreigner1

Jan 21, 2017
I did travelled and didn’t had any issues at the port of entry. You’re good to travel if your TRV is valid.
Yes it did got approved. My port of entry was Montreal. I was asked by the officer if I’m working somewhere. I informed him my PGWP is in implied status. That’s it! No other questions were asked.
If you’re applying for PGWP from outside canada and you’re planning to come back, choose the option for PGWP(within canada). I made the mistake for completing (outside canada) application. And later on end up getting that approved and have to withdraw it and pay for another application for PGWP(inside canada). This way my work permit got delivered at my address in canada. If you’ll gonna apply from outside Canada, then the process will be same as study permit (get it stamped first then collect work permit from port of entry).
Thanks for your response, Patron. So you're saying you applied for a PGWP when you were outside of Canada by completing the 'inside of Canada application" option?