+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA to CAN - Wife is sponsoring, some questions...

mike2007

Oct 28, 2014
Hi,

My wife and I have been married now since October. She lives in BC, Canada and I live in WA State (USA). We've been dating for 5 years now and have been doing the back and forth thing between the border for about 4 of those 5 years (before that it was long distance). I'm wondering if someone can point us in the right direction as the Canadian Immigration forms and website is intimidating, and I really don't want to mess this up.

So far I've gotten a jump-start and completed my FBI History Check, just got the letter back after 8 weeks. I have my medical exam from a certified doctor off the Canadian Immigration website on December 20th. It was my understanding we need both of those things before applying for Sponsorship and Immigration/PR Card, as you want to send it in one package.

My main question is with the PR Card. Now I understand she fills out the Sponsorship forms located here, and I fill out the Immigration section forms:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Now on this page: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-how.asp - It states the following, which is confusing me

"If your spouse or partner lives with you in Canada, use the Application for Permanent Residence in Canada—Spouse or Common-Law Partner. Note: if a child of your spouse or partner is also living with you in Canada, they may be included on the application if they meet the definition of dependent child.

OR,
If your spouse, partner or dependent child lives outside Canada, use the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class."

Does that mean, I, as the Spouse being sponsored, do not have to apply for a PR Card? If it matters I do not intend to work in Canada right away after becoming sponsored, I live near the border and plan to commute to work each day. Our main intention is to live together and have a normal life together as a married couple. Of course I want to be able to live in Canada full time legally, so do I just apply to Immigrate and then afterward apply for a PR card, or can we do it all at once? The PR Application is designed and written in a way which seems as if I should be living there already so that's why I'm confused and worried.

Lastly, I want to make sure I have the fee's correct. Her application to sponsor fees are $75 (Sponsorship Application) + $475 (Principle Applicant Application). She doesn't have to pay the $550 fee does she? It says a Spouse over age 22 "where a transitional provision applies" - I'm not sure what this means. I am over 22 years of age but I can support myself financially.

PR Fee is $490 + $50 for the card itself, correct? So total would be $1,090.00 CAN? Can I pay this with my US Credit Card or do we have to use a Canadian card? Or do we avoid the $50.00 card fee (I'm assuming that's for renewals?)

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate it if someone can help guide us through this process. I'll try to keep this thread updated as we continue to progress. We plan to sit down and apply sometime in January when each of us can take a couple days off work to sit down and dig through all of this. It looks like we're going to have to write up a lot of documents explaining family members who met us, how we met, proof of everything, pictures, etc.

Thank you!

*EDIT* - I read through some other stuff on the website and I answered my own question. It does appear I have to apply for the PR card at the same time. I guess I was just confused to why it was worded the way it was. Now question. I noticed the wait time for PR is a lot faster than Family Class Sponsorship. What's the average wait time for someone in my situation right now?

christinebear

Star Member
Feb 5, 2016
US/Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
March 2017 - Returned
Med's Done....
29-12-2016
All good questions - I don't know everything, but I'll try to help! I'm in a similar boat.

First: as of tomorrow, there's a new application and some changes. http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/family-reunification-big-changes-t464474.0.html

Unless you've already started or you have a complete old packet, ready to go now, as of Jan 31st, you'll be using this new application. It's "simplified" the process, as in you don't have to select inland or outland anymore after Feb 1, 2017.

More information: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse/process.asp?_ga=1.143623805.934890606.1479241191

Since you already have your background check and medical (BRAVO!), you can start right away! :) From Dec 15th to Jan 31st, people can use the old or new packets! I'm trying to see if the new packet is worth my time...since I literally just printed and filled out the old packet. :-X

Does that mean, I, as the Spouse being sponsored, do not have to apply for a PR Card? If it matters I do not intend to work in Canada right away after becoming sponsored, I live near the border and plan to commute to work each day. Our main intention is to live together and have a normal life together as a married couple. Of course I want to be able to live in Canada full time legally, so do I just apply to Immigrate and then afterward apply for a PR card, or can we do it all at once? The PR Application is designed and written in a way which seems as if I should be living there already so that's why I'm confused and worried.
Okay, I'm not quite sure what you mean here, so I'll try to answer as best as I can. If you (an US citizen) want to live/work/stay in Canada longer than six months, you'll need to apply for Permanent Residency. This will allow you the right to live in Canada with your wife. Also, it allows some work (as in you can't work a high clearance job) and you live there legally. After you've lived for awhile, you can apply for Canadian citizenship (I think they'll be making changes to this soon, so I don't feel comfortable saying anything) or dual-citizenship. You can live in Canada and not be a citizen! Just got to renew that PR card when they tell you to.

Outland and Inland refers to the two statuses you can have. For example, outland would be when the spouse or family live in another country. Inland, you live in Canada, but as a guest. Inland was processed slower. Outland was faster (for some people). I'm applying for Outland, as I'm a guest in Canada, but my work and life is in the States with my American family. I'm willing able to do an interview in my country (LA or New York) and I'm ok with not working or anything in Canada. Inland allowed people to apply for work permits while they waited, though, because the process took so long.

BUT as I mentioned before: the process is changing. From December 15th, until Jan 31st they'll be accepting old and new applications.

More information on effects of changes: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1321&top=14

Feb 1st and after, Outland and Inland will no longer exist. It is very confusing and frustrating. I've been trudging through it all year! I'm glad they are at least trying to make it easier. As US citizen, you can stay in Canada for six months before needing a "visitor visa". By the way, log and keep as many records as you can! What I'm saying, you don't have to worry about inland or outland anymore by the sounds of the changes! I'm going to look at the new packet tomorrow to see what's up.

Lastly, I want to make sure I have the fee's correct. Her application to sponsor fees are $75 (Sponsorship Application) + $475 (Principle Applicant Application). She doesn't have to pay the $550 fee does she? It says a Spouse over age 22 "where a transitional provision applies" - I'm not sure what this means. I am over 22 years of age but I can support myself financially.

PR Fee is $490 + $50 for the card itself, correct? So total would be $1,090.00 CAN? Can I pay this with my US Credit Card or do we have to use a Canadian card?
I estimated $1040 CAN, I'd have to look again to be sure. It's $75 for her, and the rest is about your fees. Here's the full list fee schedule: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/fees/schedule.asp

I haven't gotten to the final stage of payment for PR yet, so I don't know if there's hidden fees. I've been using my USA bank card and it automatically converted for currency exchange. I used my card for my visitor visa extensions and such, no problem.

Anyway, I hope that helps! I wish I had know more a year ago... Feel free to ask more if you need help. This form is very helpful!

mike2007

Oct 28, 2014
christinebear said:
All good questions - I don't know everything, but I'll try to help! I'm in a similar boat.

First: as of tomorrow, there's a new application and some changes. http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/family-reunification-big-changes-t464474.0.html

Unless you've already started or you have a complete old packet, ready to go now, as of Jan 31st, you'll be using this new application. It's "simplified" the process, as in you don't have to select inland or outland anymore after Feb 1, 2017.

More information: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse/process.asp?_ga=1.143623805.934890606.1479241191

Since you already have your background check and medical (BRAVO!), you can start right away! :) From Dec 15th to Jan 31st, people can use the old or new packets! I'm trying to see if the new packet is worth my time...since I literally just printed and filled out the old packet. :-X

Okay, I'm not quite sure what you mean here, so I'll try to answer as best as I can. If you (an US citizen) want to live/work/stay in Canada longer than six months, you'll need to apply for Permanent Residency. This will allow you the right to live in Canada with your wife. Also, it allows some work (as in you can't work a high clearance job) and you live there legally. After you've lived for awhile, you can apply for Canadian citizenship (I think they'll be making changes to this soon, so I don't feel comfortable saying anything) or dual-citizenship. You can live in Canada and not be a citizen! Just got to renew that PR card when they tell you to.

Outland and Inland refers to the two statuses you can have. For example, outland would be when the spouse or family live in another country. Inland, you live in Canada, but as a guest. Inland was processed slower. Outland was faster (for some people). I'm applying for Outland, as I'm a guest in Canada, but my work and life is in the States with my American family. I'm willing able to do an interview in my country (LA or New York) and I'm ok with not working or anything in Canada. Inland allowed people to apply for work permits while they waited, though, because the process took so long.

BUT as I mentioned before: the process is changing. From December 15th, until Jan 31st they'll be accepting old and new applications.

More information on effects of changes: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1321&top=14

Feb 1st and after, Outland and Inland will no longer exist. It is very confusing and frustrating. I've been trudging through it all year! I'm glad they are at least trying to make it easier. As US citizen, you can stay in Canada for six months before needing a "visitor visa". By the way, log and keep as many records as you can! What I'm saying, you don't have to worry about inland or outland anymore by the sounds of the changes! I'm going to look at the new packet tomorrow to see what's up.

I estimated $1040 CAN, I'd have to look again to be sure. It's $75 for her, and the rest is about your fees. Here's the full list fee schedule: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/fees/schedule.asp

I haven't gotten to the final stage of payment for PR yet, so I don't know if there's hidden fees. I've been using my USA bank card and it automatically converted for currency exchange. I used my card for my visitor visa extensions and such, no problem.

Anyway, I hope that helps! I wish I had know more a year ago... Feel free to ask more if you need help. This form is very helpful!
Thanks for the reply. So since I already have my Police Record and Medical coming up I'm assuming it's best to do the old method? Where and how do I apply Outland? I guess I would be considered Outland since I live in the USA and she lives in Canada and I'm not living with her in Canada, but where on the application do I select or specify that? My address?

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
mike2007 said:
Thanks for the reply. So since I already have my Police Record and Medical coming up I'm assuming it's best to do the old method? Where and how do I apply Outland? I guess I would be considered Outland since I live in the USA and she lives in Canada and I'm not living with her in Canada, but where on the application do I select or specify that? My address?
I would say that unless you are already well advanced / nearly finished completing the old forms, you would be best advised to wait (what is now about 3 hours!) and use all of the new forms. They will certainly still want a medical and police records anyway, so nothing wasted.

Keep your eye on the link here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

christinebear

Star Member
Feb 5, 2016
US/Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
March 2017 - Returned
Med's Done....
29-12-2016
I agree with Hurlabrick. I've already filled out half the old forms, but they are confusing! I'm waiting to see the new forms. As they'll be accepting both applications for a bit. Plus, they will still want the med and police check.

I'm assuming they'll be running like my old job at a medical staffing agency: we used to let people submit what they had, we'd request whatever else we needed, allowing us to set aside files waiting for more documents, and those who didn't complete their files kept aside allowing for a smoother process for people who actually completed their files. The new process sounds like that. But I'm just guessing. Just a tangent.

Anyway, it sounds like the new forms are easier and simplified. I'm going to try the new forms, since everyone is going to be waiting the same time regardless! The old forms are so...tedious.

mike2007

Oct 28, 2014
We haven't done any forms yet. So can I do the NEW forms but include my old medical and police record as long as I submit before Jan 31st? If that's the case I may do the new forms just because they're easier and not as confusing, I just worry about having to wait 12 weeks for another police record.

Staunts2015

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
11-12-2019
mike2007 said:
We haven't done any forms yet. So can I do the NEW forms but include my old medical and police record as long as I submit before Jan 31st? If that's the case I may do the new forms just because they're easier and not as confusing, I just worry about having to wait 12 weeks for another police record.
You can fill out the new application. The medical/police record aspects of it haven't changed, so you won't need to get a new exam/police record. If you're going with the new application, there is no deadline. The Jan 31st deadline applies to the old application.

mike2007

Oct 28, 2014
Staunts2015 said:
You can fill out the new application. The medical/police record aspects of it haven't changed, so you won't need to get a new exam/police record. If you're going with the new application, there is no deadline. The Jan 31st deadline applies to the old application.
Thank you! If that's the case I'll definitely do the new forms, my wife and I are planning to take a weekend in January and complete all the forms so the new ones seem to be much better and less confusing.

I was under the impression that with the new forms, the police certificate and medical record is done later in the process. Can I include my police record and medical record with my packet, as well as new forms - would that speed things up, perhaps? Would that be okay?

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
mike2007 said:
Thank you! If that's the case I'll definitely do the new forms, my wife and I are planning to take a weekend in January and complete all the forms so the new ones seem to be much better and less confusing.

I was under the impression that with the new forms, the police certificate and medical record is done later in the process. Can I include my police record and medical record with my packet, as well as new forms - would that speed things up, perhaps? Would that be okay?
Errr... actually the medical aspects HAVE changed. They specifically say don't provide one up front until they ask for it, although if you read on further they then go on to say that if you already have one then provide it up front, by all means do so and they will use it if they can but they may ask for a new one - I suspect they will apply the existing 12 month rule.

Staunts2015

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
11-12-2019
Hurlabrick said:
Errr... actually the medical aspects HAVE changed. They specifically say don't provide one up front until they ask for it, although if you read on further they then go on to say that if you already have one then provide it up front, by all means do so and they will use it if they can but they may ask for a new one - I suspect they will apply the existing 12 month rule.
In that case, I'd assume your December 20th medical exam should be ok. If you're applying in January, there's less chance of your medical results expiring, since applications are supposed to be completed in 12 months or less (medical results expire after 1 year). However, I've read that your COPR will typically expire 1 year after your medical exam, so if you don't think you'll be able to move to Canada by Dec. 20, 2017, or at least go to the border to fulfill the COPR requirements by then, then maybe you should postpone your medical appointment. Still, this would apply to those applying to the old or new application.

Overall, I think you'll be ok with your current medical exam.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just to add to the great advice thus far...

"My main question is with the PR Card. Now I understand she fills out the Sponsorship forms located here, and I fill out the Immigration section forms:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp"

You will not be applying for the actual PR Card itself. Once you have completed the sponsorship process, the officer that signs your COPR document (Confirmation of Permanent Residence), when you officially `Land' and become a permanent resident, will submit the paperwork for the card you. The PRC will be mailed to the address in Canada that you provide, as they do not send to an address outside of Canada.

Your FBI IHSR letter is only valid for 6 months, since you are still in WA., so I'd include it (along with the medical) with the forms.

Unless the fees have changed, it should be $1040 ($75- sponsor assessment + $475 applicant [you] + $490 RPRF (Right of Permanent Residence Fee)). There is no charge for the initial PR Card.

Good luck!

mike2007

Oct 28, 2014
Staunts2015 said:
In that case, I'd assume your December 20th medical exam should be ok. If you're applying in January, there's less chance of your medical results expiring, since applications are supposed to be completed in 12 months or less (medical results expire after 1 year). However, I've read that your COPR will typically expire 1 year after your medical exam, so if you don't think you'll be able to move to Canada by Dec. 20, 2017, or at least go to the border to fulfill the COPR requirements by then, then maybe you should postpone your medical appointment. Still, this would apply to those applying to the old or new application.

Overall, I think you'll be ok with your current medical exam.
Thank you. Yes I will be able to move to Canada as soon as I get approved. So include my medical that will be done on Dec 20th, along with new forms. Should I also include the police certificate? You say it's valid for 6 months, I'll apply within the next month so if I include the police record I should be good - and if they do want a new one that's fine...

So -

Police Certificate (which I recevied on 12/13/2016)
Medical Exam (which I will have completed on 12/20/2016)
NEW Immigration Forms, all submitted before Jan 31st, 2017 (with the old medical/police record)

Good? - So I don't apply for a PR Card at all?

Staunts2015

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
11-12-2019
mike2007 said:
Thank you. Yes I will be able to move to Canada as soon as I get approved. So include my medical that will be done on Dec 20th, along with new forms. Should I also include the police certificate? You say it's valid for 6 months, I'll apply within the next month so if I include the police record I should be good - and if they do want a new one that's fine...

So -

Police Certificate (which I recevied on 12/13/2016)
Medical Exam (which I will have completed on 12/20/2016)
NEW Immigration Forms, all submitted before Jan 31st, 2017 (with the old medical/police record)

Good? - So I don't apply for a PR Card at all?
That's a good plan ;D No, you don't need to apply for a PR Card. Just complete whatever forms they ask for in the new application, and that'll take care of everything.

mike2007

Oct 28, 2014
Thanks a lot for the help! I'll be sure to update with any questions or concerns I have when going to file the new forms later next month.

-Mike

mike2007

Oct 28, 2014
Alright good news is I have most of my paperwork and things in order. My wife and I are planning on filing it all on Saturday and Sunday this weekend. I have my Medical on Tuesday (Dec 20th). I'll double check everything over the following weekend and plan to mail it on off on the 26th, day after Christmas.

I have a few more questions which came to mind.

#1 - We mail this from Canada, to the address below, right? Since I'm the person being sponsored, I live OUTSIDE of Canada (She lives in Canada)...correct? I plan to mail it overnight Canada Post.

Application for spouses, common-law partners or conjugal partners and dependent children (currently living outside Canada):
CPC Mississauga
P.O. Box 3000, Station A
Mississauga, ON
L5A 4N6

#2- Regarding the Police Certificate. It states to Not Include it on page: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5525ETOC.asp , but then it goes on to say "We encourage you to get your police certificates in advance to avoid delays." - Should I submit all the paperwork in the requested order as per the guide, then place the certificate with a cover sheet over it at the bottom?

#3- Regarding "printed text messages or social media evidence"- What do I do here? I can send them some text messages between us, perhaps Christmas cards, etc...but I also have hundreds of pictures I can include of my wife and I together (and detailed explanations on the back of each). I guess I'm asking, what type of evidence are they looking for? I also intend to list a bunch of family members, friends, etc. who know we're married and met us and everything. We have a pretty normal relationship other than living 30 minutes apart from eachother and not being able to live together...we don't share any finances yet, as we're waiting until we live together.

#4- Do I need to provide proof of income and employment for myself (the one being sponsored), or just my wife (the sponsor)? I have a work verification letter if need be.

#5- How much/many details is too much? I know a lot of it says "Up to 10 pages" for some of the questions. Can I provide more documents or will they decline my application because I've provided them MORE than what they asked for?

Thank you,

Michael B.