+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA to CAN - Wife is sponsoring, some questions...

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
1. yes, mail it to the address specific to ouside of canada applicants

2. i would stick to what the checklist and guide says. if it says not to submit it upfront, don't. we don't know what they will do when people submit these things when they are not required upfront anymore. my suggestion is to hold on to it until it's specifically requested. if it gets too close to the 6 month expiration date, then i would recommend sending a case specific enquiry at that point, later on in the process.

3. they are limiting the amount of proof to send. the checklist specifies not sending more than 10 pages of "relationship proof such as text/social media logs" and no more than 30 pictures, so you need to scale down your evidence to that limit. it is not necessary to submit text/social media logs - they are saying if you are sending these items, only send 10 pages. if you have pictures of cards sent to each other, then those can be included in the 10 pages. if you want to send social media logs - you can take screen shots of specific mentions or a sampling of messages on those sites that show the development of your relationship. for example, i took screen shots for specific moments shared on FB for each year of our relationship. again, you want to limit the total amount of this proof to 10 pages and 30 pictures.

4. is it listed on the checklist or in the application? no it's not, so there is no need to send it. your current employment is not relavant to a spousal sponsorship application. stick to what is being specifically asked for in the application and checklist.

5. again, stick to the guidelines in the guide and checklist. if they say 10 and 30 are the maximum, then that's your limit. your application is not going to be "rejected" because you send more proof, however it is unknown yet if they will be returning applications because the submission is too big. if they want more information, they will ask for it. it is not necessary to overload them with proof, especially as a US/Canadian couple. It's also important to remember sending more than what is required can negatively affect your processing time. Everything you send has to be scanned into the system and read by at least 1 officer. it certainly takes less time to approve an application with 40 pages of proof than 200 pages.

mike2007

Oct 28, 2014
Okay thanks. I have some cleanup to do.

My question regarding the police certificate was asked because it's not clear. It doesn't say to NOT include it, it says I don't need to include it... But then states they recommend getting it as soon as possible. I guess I can leave it out. If it's good for 6 months that'll get me until May/June so hopefully by then they'll request it.

mike2007

Oct 28, 2014
Can I include physical cards and boarding passes or do they want printed/photocopies? I found a 2012 boarding pass which shows when I first met her. Would 1 piece of evidence be considered "1 page" then? I found old Christmas cards from us and another one our parents gave us on our wedding night. I don't care about losing the cards, this is more important.

Thank you!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
mike2007 said:
Can I include physical cards and boarding passes or do they want printed/photocopies? I found a 2012 boarding pass which shows when I first met her. Would 1 piece of evidence be considered "1 page" then? I found old Christmas cards from us and another one our parents gave us on our wedding night. I don't care about losing the cards, this is more important.

Thank you!
i'd recommend making copies, and putting multiple items on 1 page. even if you're not concerned with losing it, it's good to have them in your possession "just in case". yes, i would think 1 physical item would count as 1 page.