Waived
Passport Req..
22-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2014
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and found it very helpful than having to go through CIC for general inquiries. I'm a Canadian citizen planning to sponsor my American wife after our wedding in August. The CIC is very confusing in terms of what they need as a police certificate. Does she require FBI Certificate or a simple police certificate would do the trick? Or both? I understand the FBI Certificate could take up to 16 to 18 weeks. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Millertimez said:
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and found it very helpful than having to go through CIC for general inquiries. I'm a Canadian citizen planning to sponsor my American wife after our wedding in August. The CIC is very confusing in terms of what they need as a police certificate. Does she require FBI Certificate or a simple police certificate would do the trick? Or both? I understand the FBI Certificate could take up to 16 to 18 weeks. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
They always require an original FBI clearance letter. This is printed on special tamper-resistant paper, so you cannot use a channeler (which is faster). It seems to be taking 6-8 weeks to get an FBI letter.

CIC MIGHT ask for state police letters if there are potential criminality issues, but that's very unusual (it used to be required - I had to submit an FBI letter AND state letters for my first application back in 2009).

shanmba1174

Star Member
Nov 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2012
AOR Received.
04-12-2012
File Transfer...
13-12-2012
Med's Done....
15-06-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
14-06-2013
LANDED..........
26-06-2013 (DONE - thank u all)
Millertimez said:
Hi all,

You need FBI certificate . It takes 4 to 6 weeks only if you do clear fingerprints. You can always send police certificate at later stage. So file the application , once your Stage 1 clears - you can send original police certificate . That's what I did..

I filed my application in oct 2012, later mailed FBI certificate in Feb 2013 only.

Millertimez

Jun 12, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
AOR Received.
03-01-2014
File Transfer...
10-01-2014
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2014
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
shanmba1174 said:
You need FBI certificate . It takes 4 to 6 weeks only if you do clear fingerprints. You can always send police certificate at later stage. So file the application , once your Stage 1 clears - you can send original police certificate . That's what I did..

I filed my application in oct 2012, later mailed FBI certificate in Feb 2013 only.
Thanks for your help. Just one more clarification. How long is the FBI certificate good for? And is it recommended to submit it along with the application or submit it when they ask for it?

Millertimez

Jun 12, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
AOR Received.
03-01-2014
File Transfer...
10-01-2014
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2014
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
computergeek said:
They always require an original FBI clearance letter. This is printed on special tamper-resistant paper, so you cannot use a channeler (which is faster). It seems to be taking 6-8 weeks to get an FBI letter.

CIC MIGHT ask for state police letters if there are potential criminality issues, but that's very unusual (it used to be required - I had to submit an FBI letter AND state letters for my first application back in 2009).
Thank you. That was very helpful.

shanmba1174

Star Member
Nov 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2012
AOR Received.
04-12-2012
File Transfer...
13-12-2012
Med's Done....
15-06-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
14-06-2013
LANDED..........
26-06-2013 (DONE - thank u all)
Millertimez said:
Thanks for your help. Just one more clarification. How long is the FBI certificate good for? And is it recommended to submit it along with the application or submit it when they ask for it?
It's good for 3 months. As I mentioned earlier you can always send additional documents once Stage 1 clears . Since the whole process takes around 8 to 12 months.

writetosfa

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2012
AOR Received.
11-01-2013
Med's Done....
August 2012
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
12-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2013
LANDED..........
18-08-2013
Got this today! This is good news right? I am sponsoring my husband who is American and living in Canada on a work permit. Our application was received in December at CPP-O.

Question though - what do I send for proof of funds? Bank statements? I thought you didn't need this for family class, but I have no problem sending it.

Do I as the sponsor have to send my passport too? Or are they just referring to my husband, the applicant?

Thanks! Hoping everyone gets a speedy positive reply!

Stacy

REQUEST FOR DOCUMENTS AND PASSPORT COPIES

This is in reference to your application for permanent residence in Canada as a member of the family class. We have now completed the initial assessment of your application, and expect to finalize your application without a personal interview. While an interview does not appear necessary at this time, we reserve the right to call you to an interview, should this become necessary at some future stage in processing.

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY ALL OF THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION BEFORE PROCEEDING FURTHER. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE FINALIZED BY THE CASE PROCESSING PILOT – OTTAWA (“CPP-O”).

In order to continue processing your application, the following is required:

Ø ####### - <insert my name here (the sponsor)>:
Ø > Funds, proof: Proof of funds This must be received at this office by: 08/11/2013
Ø > SPR's residency: Evidence that your sponsor resides in Canada. This includes but is not limited to: pay stubs, T4 slips, utility bills, and banking history. Drivers licences, Property tax assessments, Social Insurance or Health Insurance cards are not sufficient This must be received at this office by: 08/11/2013

Ø COPY OR SCANNED IMAGE of your passport and passports of your accompanying family members, as noted below.

Please note:
All documents must be accompanied by English or French translations. When original documents are requested, notarised documents are not acceptable.

Passport Copies:
You are a citizen of a country that is exempted from obtaining a visa to visit Canada under Regulation 190 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. You are therefore required to send only a copy or scanned image of the photo page of your passport and of any pages indicating a validity extension or change to your personal information. You must submit these copies/scans for yourself and for all your accompanying family member(s).
DO NOT SEND YOUR ORIGINAL PASSPORT(S). We require copies of a VALID passport for yourself and every accompanying family member. Please note that permanent resident visas cannot be issued on Diplomatic, Official or Military passports.

Changes to your Family Composition:
· Have you married or divorced?
· Have you given birth or adopted a child?
· Do you intend to get married or divorced prior to becoming a permanent resident?
· Do you intend to give birth or adopt a child prior to becoming a permanent resident?
· Has your sponsor withdrawn his or her sponsorship of your application?

If any of these conditions apply, you must inform CPP-O immediately. You will be asked to submit evidence such as a copy of the marriage, divorce, birth or adoption certificate or a letter advising when and where the marriage, divorce, birth or adoption is expected to take place. Any new spouse and/or children must be added to your application and be found admissible to Canada before your case is finalized. Failure to declare additional dependants such as a spouse or children before you become a permanent resident could result in the cancellation of your permanent resident visa. Once your file is closed, you would be required to submit a new application and pay new processing fees. Any new application would be assessed under the Act and Regulations in force at the time of its submission.

Send your documents to the Case Processing Pilot – Ottawa (CPP-O)

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
writetosfa said:
Got this today! This is good news right? I am sponsoring my husband who is American and living in Canada on a work permit. Our application was received in December at CPP-O.

Question though - what do I send for proof of funds? Bank statements? I thought you didn't need this for family class, but I have no problem sending it.

Do I as the sponsor have to send my passport too? Or are they just referring to my husband, the applicant?
This is good news, but the request for additional docs can often add a couple of months to the processing time (probably not a big deal in your case since your husband already has the work visa).

Bank statements should be fine for the proof of funds, or payslips (you could provide both yours and his) showing steady income.

Just your husband needs to send a copy of his passport.

Congratulations! If you send or post your application dates, I'll be happy to add you to the CPP-Ottawa spreadsheet.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Why would they request a proof of funds now? Do they not check the financial situation during the sponsor approval?

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
keesio said:
Why would they request a proof of funds now? Do they not check the financial situation during the sponsor approval?
That's a fair question, but probably the only way to find that out is to request GCMS notes. I would guess they lost or couldn't find some of the financial information in the original file. Better to provide the information again than to ask questions in this process...

lahi671

Jun 13, 2013
Guys,

Has anyone who is a March applicant received there conformation yet I sent my passport copy and photo's 3 times and when I email them and say I haven't received it yet they ask for me to resend the copies the last envelope I sent was with FedEx and I included a pre-paid return envelope that was on June ,5,2013 and they said it was sent out but I haven't received anything from FedEx

Has anyone used FedEx with a return envelope coming back to the states? or is anyone going through what I'm going through?

Started processing application March 2013 and still waiting there saying it's been sent but for it to get lost 3 times I'm speechless.

Please advise anyone going through this

Thanks

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
IvanP said:
Bank statements should be fine for the proof of funds, or payslips (you could provide both yours and his) showing steady income.
In addition, I would also submit evidence of the applicant's earnings. The threshold for sponsorship is just that the couple won't require social assistance, so even though they don't explicitly ask for applicant information it is considered (because it provides further evidence that the couple won't require social assistance). This is especially powerful when they are Canadian earnings.

Canuck20

Nov 5, 2012
Beaverton, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/08/2012
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
24/09/2012
Med's Done....
24/07/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19/02/2013
VISA ISSUED...
9/05/2013
LANDED..........
24/05/2013
lahi671 said:
anyone who had there application started to process on March 2013 receive there application yet??
You might want to check on the March 2013 thread. These are your batch mates. There is also usually a spreadsheet for each month with everyone's info if they choose to supply it. The spreadsheet is very very helpful. There are also spreadsheets for CPP-Ottawa if that pertains to you or there are spreadsheets by visa office. Most of the spreadsheets are listed at the bottom of people's messages. As you can see I have August 2012 and CPP-Ottawa listed on mine.

Here is the link to the March 2013 Spreadsheet :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0ArQn4OImtWzQdFJOZk9pMEhnYm5DLUM0UmExV3ZPTmc

Hope this helps :)

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
Canuck20 said:
You might want to check on the March 2013 thread. These are your batch mates. There is also usually a spreadsheet for each month with everyone's info if they choose to supply it. The spreadsheet is very very helpful. There are also spreadsheets for CPP-Ottawa if that pertains to you or there are spreadsheets by visa office. Most of the spreadsheets are listed at the bottom of people's messages. As you can see I have August 2012 and CPP-Ottawa listed on mine.

Here is the link to the March 2013 Spreadsheet :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0ArQn4OImtWzQdFJOZk9pMEhnYm5DLUM0UmExV3ZPTmc

Hope this helps :)
Also, generally, for stage one the monthly spreadsheets are more helpful, and after sponsor approval, the visa office spreadsheets for your geographical location are more helpful.