+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Translation of Police Certificates

Ste_Vege

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
I have a few questions regarding the translation of Police Certificates from Italian to English.

1. What does it mean that the documents need to be 'a certified copy of the original document'? I will submit the online application so I will simply scan the original document.
2. Do I need to ask for the document to have the 'apostille'?
3. What is the process for translating the documents?
4. Is the best way to translate the document to use 'a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada'? This is to avoid the need for a notary.
5. Lastly, since I have not been living in Italy since 2016, I believe I can start gathering and translating these documents well in advance of submitting the application because they would not 'expiry' after 6 months, since I have left Italy many years ago, is it correct?

Thank you.

"Whether you are submitting your application online or by mail; if your documents are not in English or French, include a notarized (certified) translation with
a certified copy of the original document, or an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (if the translation is not provided by a member in
good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada)."

yoli85

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I have a few questions regarding the translation of Police Certificates from Italian to English.

1. What does it mean that the documents need to be 'a certified copy of the original document'? I will submit the online application so I will simply scan the original document.
2. Do I need to ask for the document to have the 'apostille'?
3. What is the process for translating the documents?
4. Is the best way to translate the document to use 'a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada'? This is to avoid the need for a notary.
5. Lastly, since I have not been living in Italy since 2016, I believe I can start gathering and translating these documents well in advance of submitting the application because they would not 'expiry' after 6 months, since I have left Italy many years ago, is it correct?

Thank you.

"Whether you are submitting your application online or by mail; if your documents are not in English or French, include a notarized (certified) translation with
a certified copy of the original document, or an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (if the translation is not provided by a member in
good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada)."
You're lucky that I just happened to be finished dealing with translations today. You would be surprised how confusing this topic is because IRCC doesn't exactly tell you what copy needs to be certified. And the worse part is that many translators and notaries have no clue as to what to do. It took me several weeks to get to the bottom of this.

1. I think that will likely work. However, the instructions still say that you should attach the certified copy of the original document for any document that is not in English/French. When you have your document translated by a certified translator you receive three types of files back: a) the translator's statement/declaration which only states that they are certified, etc., b) the translated document and c) a copy of the original document with the translator's seal. So this item c) is what I got certified by a notary public. If you think about it, how else would you prove that the copy that the translator used is a true copy?
Having said that, my answer is not definitive. I found sample translations that include all of the a) to c) items I said AND in addition, d) the certified true copy as a separate sheet from whatever the translator delivers. To me, it makes the most sense to have the copy that the translator used (sealed) certified.

2. Canada is not a signatory of the Hague Apostille Convention, so you don't need an apostille.

3. I'm going to let you into the step-by-step that nobody cared to explain to me but it's free of charge to you:
Step 1: Get certified copies of your documents - this should be done first because this is what you'll scan and send to your chosen translator (if you choose not to use a one-stop shop). Go to your nearest notary. If you're in Canada, try to find a Notary that works with certified translators and you'll get everything done for you without the extra hassle. And if you're not in living in an English-speaking country, the more reason that this needs to be the first step because now you need to translate the Notary's statement of "true copy."
If you need to certify copies which are digital "originals" check with your notary if they can certify copies. I learned from some notaries that they will ask you to show them the source of the digital file online and then print it in order for them to provide a certified copy. But also, many told me that they don't certify digital files. Do your research.
Step 2. Get the translation done on the certified copy (scanned or physically delivered).
Step 3. If the person who is doing the translation is not a certified translator (say, maybe a friend), then an affidavit needs to be attached. How to get the translator's affidavit is in the instructions guide of your immigration application.
Step 4. You get all your documents delivered by e-mail. Your translator returns all the items I explained in point 1 and you upload them as you wish.

4. I would, is worth your time and money, but this will not save you a visit to the Notary as I explained in (1) and (3). If you have money to spend I would recommend you reach out to a big translations office here in Canada. Most of them will work online.

5. The validity of the police certificate depends on the program you're applying for. Refer to your instructions guide.

Last edited:

Ste_Vege

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Step 2. Get the translation done on the certified copy (scanned or physically delivered).
Step 3. If the person who is doing the translation is not a certified translator (say, maybe a friend), then an affidavit needs to be attached. How to get the translator's affidavit is in the instructions guide of your immigration application.
Thanks for your free of charge advice!

Just a question, did you use a certified translator in Canada or abroad?

yoli85

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I used a mix of both a certified translator here en Canada and a notary public who speaks my native language this time. But when I applied for express entry I only used a certified translator.
In theory you could have anyone translate and then sign a sworn affidavit saying they know the language and did the translation to the best of their knowledge. But if the officer is not convinced it was a good translation, it could delay your application.

yoli85

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga

Also, I believe only Canadian translators are considered certified by IRCC.

ram_._bo

Jan 15, 2024

Hi,
I'm in your same situation, how did you solve?
Did you provided the scanned file of the original documents or a certified copy?
Did you use a certified Canadia Translator?

I just read that from 11 January Canada joined the apostille convention too.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/refugee-protection/removal-risk-assessment/translation.html

at the above link they write: Important: Supporting documents in a language other than English or French can either be the originals or certified photocopies of the originals. Officers can refer to the IRCC Glossary for a definition of certified and additional guidance on who can certify a photocopy.

anyway my biggest concern is about the use of the scanned original document or the certified photocopy of it. My question is the scanned file of the original document is considered a photocopy?

I'm also not sure if a certified Canadian translator can certify a scanned version of the original Italian document.

I read all the following links but I'm still confused

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/refugee-protection/removal-risk-assessment/translation.html

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=039&top=4

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship/helpcentre/glossary.html#certified_translator

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship/helpcentre/glossary.html#certificate_english_french_translations

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=018&top=4

Sorry for the long and confused post but I will appreciate if anyone could help.

Thank you

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
anyway my biggest concern is about the use of the scanned original document or the certified photocopy of it. My question is the scanned file of the original document is considered a photocopy?

I'm also not sure if a certified Canadian translator can certify a scanned version of the original Italian document.
Personally I've had experience with and suggest using a translator wherever you are. If you ask the local translators to do what is needed for 'the Embassy', they'll almost always know how to do this and provide the correct translation, statement/certification, and valid copy attached to the translation.

You can also do this in Canada.

As for what they accept and what they need: ask the translators.

ram_._bo

Jan 15, 2024
Personally I've had experience with and suggest using a translator wherever you are. If you ask the local translators to do what is needed for 'the Embassy', they'll almost always know how to do this and provide the correct translation, statement/certification, and valid copy attached to the translation.

You can also do this in Canada.

As for what they accept and what they need: ask the translators.
Thanks for your reply.

I contacted some certified Canadian translator to translate my documents, I think It's ok even if I'm not in Canada since they are officially recognised by IRCC and by the ATIO.

Still remain the doubt of which files to include in the upload.
The original scan of the documents, the certified translations provided by a Certified ATIO translator (so is no need to have an affidavit since they certified).
In addition to this I still didn't get if before sending my files to the translator I first need a notary to certify the copy of the documents or is ok to send the translator my original scan which will be used for the translation?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for your reply.

I contacted some certified Canadian translator to translate my documents, I think It's ok even if I'm not in Canada since they are officially recognised by IRCC and by the ATIO.

Still remain the doubt of which files to include in the upload.
The original scan of the documents, the certified translations provided by a Certified ATIO translator (so is no need to have an affidavit since they certified).
In addition to this I still didn't get if before sending my files to the translator I first need a notary to certify the copy of the documents or is ok to send the translator my original scan which will be used for the translation?
Ask the translator, and ask them to include everything you'd need to provide in one 'file.' If they're comfortable with what you're submitting and what you're returning, it should be fine.

(The main goofiness now is that with everyone doing and submitting these electronically, it no longer looks like it used to, one big file that would literally be sewn together / combined with a ribbon and in some places, sealed with wax. At any rate, repeat: if the translator in Canada is good with it, it should be sufficient)

Reactions: ram_._bo

ram_._bo

Jan 15, 2024
Ask the translator, and ask them to include everything you'd need to provide in one 'file.' If they're comfortable with what you're submitting and what you're returning, it should be fine.

(The main goofiness now is that with everyone doing and submitting these electronically, it no longer looks like it used to, one big file that would literally be sewn together / combined with a ribbon and in some places, sealed with wax. At any rate, repeat: if the translator in Canada is good with it, it should be sufficient)
thanks for the suggestion of asking the translator to provide everything in one file instead of me putting them together.

I think I have one more question.
Considering I will ask the translator to provide me one file, this file should include my original scanned file and the translation with a declaration from the translator including a stamp and a sign on each page(this is what an ATIO translator just replied me).

Now the question is: also my original scanned file need to have a stamp and a signature from the translator?
or, as I read in some other posts here, I should include in the single file to be uploaded my original scanned document without stamp and sign from the translator, the translation made with stamp, signature and declarations from the translator plus another copy of my scanned document where the translator will also include his stamps and signs?

hope it makes sense what I wrote but it is what I read here on some old topics to include original document, translation, affidavit (not in my case since I will use an ATIO translator) and a copy of the document with the translator stamp and sign.

thank you again!

EDIT: for example I was referring to this https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/translations-certified-photocopy.681549/ that is telling some information written on the IRCC
but still on the same IRCC website I also found this and other links https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/refugee-protection/removal-risk-assessment/translation.html
were is telling "original document or certified copy" and they are also writing "When a certified copy of the original document is submitted, the accompanying translation must be of the certified copy and the translator must stamp both the certified copy and the translation."

edit 2: another example here https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/translation-of-documents-certified-copy-for-express-entry-finally-clarified-by-cic.711021/
so I'm making huge confusion :confused:

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
thanks for the suggestion of asking the translator to provide everything in one file instead of me putting them together.

I think I have one more question.
Considering I will ask the translator to provide me one file, this file should include my original scanned file and the translation with a declaration from the translator including a stamp and a sign on each page(this is what an ATIO translator just replied me).

Now the question is: also my original scanned file need to have a stamp and a signature from the translator?
or, as I read in some other posts here, I should include in the single file to be uploaded my original scanned document without stamp and sign from the translator, the translation made with stamp, signature and declarations from the translator plus another copy of my scanned document where the translator will also include his stamps and signs?

hope it makes sense what I wrote but it is what I read here on some old topics to include original document, translation, affidavit (not in my case since I will use an ATIO translator) and a copy of the document with the translator stamp and sign.

thank you again!

EDIT: for example I was referring to this https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/translations-certified-photocopy.681549/ that is telling some information written on the IRCC
but still on the same IRCC website I also found this and other links https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/refugee-protection/removal-risk-assessment/translation.html
were is telling "original document or certified copy" and they are also writing "When a certified copy of the original document is submitted, the accompanying translation must be of the certified copy and the translator must stamp both the certified copy and the translation."

edit 2: another example here https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/translation-of-documents-certified-copy-for-express-entry-finally-clarified-by-cic.711021/
so I'm making huge confusion :confused:
You are overthinking. ASK THE TRANSLATOR. They know what's needed for official docs. You can send them the link to the IRCC page telling them what the requirements are, but here's the secret: THEY ALREADY KNOW. They do this for a living.

ram_._bo

Jan 15, 2024
You are overthinking. ASK THE TRANSLATOR. They know what's needed for official docs. You can send them the link to the IRCC page telling them what the requirements are, but here's the secret: THEY ALREADY KNOW. They do this for a living.
Yes I guess I'm overthink :D I asked the translator and they will provide in one file a declaration made by them, the translation and the the scanned file, all of them with stamp and signature.
I also asked them providing links about my doubts but they said to ask IRCC.

anyway thank you, I guess I will upload what the translator will provide me and nothing else...

Reactions: armoured