Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-13
AOR Received.
08-09-13
Med's Done....
10-05-13
Hello everyone,

This has probably been asked a million times, but I just want to make sure. And before you ask, yes I have read the guides several times!

Basically, my spouse has a birth certificate in her native language. What is the easiest way to send in the translation? There is a commissioner of oaths working in the same building as me, so i can simply get him to sign what's needed. My spouse has a friend who can translate the document. Is the translation simply done on Microsoft Word or something of that nature? How exactly does an affidavit work as well?

Basically just looking for some clarification!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
princesultan said:
Basically, my spouse has a birth certificate in her native language. What is the easiest way to send in the translation? There is a commissioner of oaths working in the same building as me, so i can simply get him to sign what's needed. My spouse has a friend who can translate the document. Is the translation simply done on Microsoft Word or something of that nature? How exactly does an affidavit work as well?
The friend can translate the birth certificate. Preparing it on Microsoft Word or the equivalent is fine. He/she should also submit an affidavit stating that the translation is a true translation of the original. An affidavit is just a formal letter where the person writing the letter swears in front of some official that what he/she wrote in the letter is true. In Canada, a lawyer can administer oaths, as can other officials. The translator's affidavit is supposed to be from where the translator is living, so he/she can ask there who can administer oaths. Almost always a lawyer can.

princesultan

Aug 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-13
AOR Received.
08-09-13
Med's Done....
10-05-13
So the person translating writes the affidavit themselves? Can someone send me a link to an appropriate affidavit format or example?

dzuls

Star Member
Sep 29, 2012
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-01-2013
AOR Received.
24-01-2013
File Transfer...
14-02-2013
Med's Done....
14-11-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-05-2013
LANDED..........
28-05-2013
The birth certificate as an official document should be translated by a sworn translator. Sworn translators, either before or after they translate, ask to see the original document so that they can put a remark under the translation saying that is has been translated from the original and I think this remark serves the purpose of an affidavit.

princesultan

Aug 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-13
AOR Received.
08-09-13
Med's Done....
10-05-13
i'm very confused about what the translator (who will be a friend of my wife's) will write! can someone provide some specific instructions?

Michalie

Oct 8, 2012
Word of advice I'd have it professionally done. Had all of mine. This way there wont be any issues or delays.

Paying is better than facing delays and issues with your file.

MRS SAM

Champion Member
Jul 1, 2012
Visa Office......
London via Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 aug 12
Doc's Request.
02-01-2015
AOR Received.
22 oct 12
File Transfer...
25 oct 12
Med's Request
re medical 4 Dec 14
Med's Done....
12 Dec 14
Passport Req..
15-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-06-2015
LANDED..........
05-07-2015
my birth certificate was also in my native language so we translate it in microsoft word and it was done by my uncle. then we got oath commissioner signed and stamped at that time he saw my orignal birth certificate

princesultan

Aug 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-13
AOR Received.
08-09-13
Med's Done....
10-05-13
my plan is this, which i understand is completely within CIC's guidelines.

my wife's friend can translate the document. he's not a certified translator, he's just someone who speaks the language. he will sign an affidavit (which i have no clue what it should look like!). in my office, there is a commissioner of oaths, where my wife's friend will swear that the translation is appropriate and the commissioner of oaths will sign off on that.

please correct me if this process is wrong.

also, i don't know how the affidavit should look.

MRS SAM

Champion Member
Jul 1, 2012
Visa Office......
London via Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 aug 12
Doc's Request.
02-01-2015
AOR Received.
22 oct 12
File Transfer...
25 oct 12
Med's Request
re medical 4 Dec 14
Med's Done....
12 Dec 14
Passport Req..
15-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-06-2015
LANDED..........
05-07-2015
Michalie said:
Is your uncle a translater? Or just speaks both languages?
no he is not translater

MRS SAM

Champion Member
Jul 1, 2012
Visa Office......
London via Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 aug 12
Doc's Request.
02-01-2015
AOR Received.
22 oct 12
File Transfer...
25 oct 12
Med's Request
re medical 4 Dec 14
Med's Done....
12 Dec 14
Passport Req..
15-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-06-2015
LANDED..........
05-07-2015
princesultan said:
my plan is this, which i understand is completely within CIC's guidelines.

my wife's friend can translate the document. he's not a certified translator, he's just someone who speaks the language. he will sign an affidavit (which i have no clue what it should look like!). in my office, there is a commissioner of oaths, where my wife's friend will swear that the translation is appropriate and the commissioner of oaths will sign off on that.

please correct me if this process is wrong.

also, i don't know how the affidavit should look.
i done that on plane paper and it was accepted in usa so i m sure it will also accpeted in canada. i didnt use affidavit just simple word to word translation .. from which country r u from

Michalie

Oct 8, 2012
Like I said previously, personally I didn't "save money" on this procedure. Didnt seem like this is where I should "cut corners"

princesultan

Aug 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-13
AOR Received.
08-09-13
Med's Done....
10-05-13
MRS SAM said:
i done that on plane paper and it was accepted in usa so i m sure it will also accpeted in canada. i didnt use affidavit just simple word to word translation .. from which country r u from
i'm from canada. my wife is from indonesia.

can someone please tell me what the heck an affidavit should look like!!! lol

should it be on a separate paper? or written directly on the translated word document? and what should be written?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
princesultan said:
i'm from canada. my wife is from indonesia.

can someone please tell me what the heck an affidavit should look like!!! lol

should it be on a separate paper? or written directly on the translated word document? and what should be written?
I just asked my sister, a paralegal in Saskatoon.
A commissioner of oaths is just for the province he/she is in. Getting one to sign the affidavit might be good enough, though. It would be up to the visa officer. However, it would be safer to get a notary public to sign the affidavit. The notary public does not write the affidavit for you - you should bring it in.
All lawyers in Canada are also notary publics. There will also be one at a bank in Canada. Or you can go to a notary public, who should be listed in the phone book and online. A separate notary public will be more expensive; if you go to your own bank and they know you, it might even be free there. If you go to a lawyer, then of course the affidavit could be prepared there. Take in what you want to say, and the secretary will type it up in affidavit form. (This is what I did for one of my affidavits.) Other countries have different rules.

This question - what does an affidavit look like - gets asked a lot, so tonight I will try to post an example here.

Farfelu

Star Member
Dec 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-JUN-2012
Doc's Request.
01-AUG-2012
AOR Received.
17-JUL-2012
File Transfer...
12-OCT-2012
Med's Request
01-AUG-2012
Med's Done....
30-AUG-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
26-MAR-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-APR-2013
You can get any lawyer, judge or Canadian embassy official in the country you live (if not in Canada) to sign you an affidavit if you, a relative or a friend is doing the translation. An affidavit is basically a statement by the translator that the translation is a faithful representation of the original document's contents into the other language (English or French), so he/she signs it in front of the official serving as commissioner of oaths (lawyer, judge or Canadian embassy official).

A sample of an affidavit may read thus: "I, <translator's name>, of the town of <city/town name>, in the country of <country name> do solemnly declare: That I am fluent in the English and <your language> languages; that I have prepared a translation of the birth certificate of <your name>, attached hereto; that the attached document is a true and accurate translation from <your language> to English (or French); and that I make this solemn declaration believing it to be true as if made under oath."

Normally the translator and the official (lawyer, etc.) will date, sign and stamp their seals on the document to make it legal.