+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toward Understanding Bill C-6 to Amend Citizenship Act; new 3/5 rule plus

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sopranotb said:
a maximum of 1 year. Meaning 2 years maximum pre pr would gives you 1 year toward citizenship. If 3 years pre pr you still get ine year only..
That's what I assumed too, but I was trying to find the maximum limit, but couldn't find one. Also if you are living in Canada and travelling to US everyday for work, I assume it counts a day in Canada right ?

chaos123456

Star Member
Feb 14, 2015
Hi guys, I arrived in Canada in 2009 and I just became PR last week, does that mean with the new rule I can apply for citizenship in 2018? (1 year pre-PR and 2 years post). Thanks.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
chaos123456 said:
Hi guys, I arrived in Canada in 2009 and I just became PR last week, does that mean with the new rule I can apply for citizenship in 2018? (1 year pre-PR and 2 years post). Thanks.
If it becomes law and effective next year, but it may not happen

Krutika

Star Member
May 5, 2016
dkera said:
Nobody knows for certain.

The bill has passed through the major stages in the House of Commons (the Lower House of the Parliament). These include: first reading, second reading, the committee stage and report stage. There is one last stage remaining, called third reading which was scheduled to happen last Wednesday but after a brawl in the House it got postponed.

Now keep in mind that in ALL of these stages the Liberals (the party in power who brought the bill) were the majority. So no problems there.

The bill, after it passes third reading - a formality, needs to be sent to the Senate (the Upper House of Parliament). There it needs to follow the same path, namely first reading, second reading, committee stage, third reading. If it passes all steps there then it becomes law. If not it goes back and forth between the Houses until everybody agrees.

Keep in mind that the Conservatives now have majority in the Senate. Even more importantly they have majority in the Senate Committee, which means that it only takes those people to delay the bill.

That said, even if the bill passes all stages, it's been circulated that there will be a delay in implementing the 3-year residency requirement (other changes will take effect immediately) to prevent a backlog. Nobody knows how long - maybe 3 months, maybe 6, maybe 12.

That's the story - in a nutshell.

Thanks for the explanation. Is there any possible way for the present govt to expedite or push the bill through?
Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems the previous govet had a much easier time passing their bill through faster.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Krutika said:
Thanks for the explanation. Is there any possible way for the present govt to expedite or push the bill through?
Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems the previous govet had a much easier time passing their bill through faster.
The previous government had majority everywhere and the current one has some other more urgent matters (especially the bill on assisted dying) that it focuses on.

myYahoo

Star Member
Aug 4, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-07-2013
AOR Received.
26-09-2013
Med's Request
03-03-2014
Med's Done....
05-03-2014
Passport Req..
17-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-03-2014
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
http://www.cpac.ca/en/programs/in-committee-house-of-commons/episodes/47578656

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
makpan said:
What is current situation on this Bill ?
Current status of bill is "Limbo".

Technically, it has to be heard for 3rd time in House, and if passed it goes to Senate I think. Not sure what that 3rd reading/vote date is.

makpan

Star Member
Dec 8, 2010
When it will be in effect if passed
quasar81 said:
Current status of bill is "Limbo".

Technically, it has to be heard for 3rd time in House, and if passed it goes to Senate I think. Not sure what that 3rd reading/vote date is.

boateng

Mar 18, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May5, 2015 (application received)
AOR Received.
AOR1 : June3 2015
IELTS Request
01 Feb 2013
Med's Done....
April 2015
Interview........
hopefully not
it seems there might be no debate as the status of bill seems to be concurred in at report stage on May17, 2016

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=42&Ses=1&DocId=8279624#DOC--8280262

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
Alright gentlemen, here it comes. Liberals will not get any help to pass bills in Senate from their Liberal/Independent senators.

Assisted dying bill is to be sent back, as will the C-6. http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/rushed-assisted-dying-legislation-senate-1.3604005

It's a mess in Senate. Situation is same as US now where no single party controls both houses of congress, and "Limbo" is name of the game of most bills.

C-6 seems to be up for a bleak fate as 'unelected' Senators will tell what democratically elected House should do. What a mess. Senate need to be dissolved and fat p*g Senators on free dole from taxpayers need to go.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
quasar81 said:
Alright gentlemen, here it comes. Liberals will not get any help to pass bills in Senate from their Liberal/Independent senators.

Assisted dying bill is to be sent back, as will the C-6. http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/rushed-assisted-dying-legislation-senate-1.3604005
The link does not mention anything about C-6...is it your guess that it will have the same fate as C-14?

boateng

Mar 18, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May5, 2015 (application received)
AOR Received.
AOR1 : June3 2015
IELTS Request
01 Feb 2013
Med's Done....
April 2015
Interview........
hopefully not
the article is about a bill tha liberal put forward to control debate time/hours in house of commons and not C-6, please stop misleading.

Bill c-6 will go forward if not by july 1 then next year but will happen.

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
quasar81 said:
It's a mess in Senate. Situation is same as US now where no single party controls both houses of congress, and "Limbo" is name of the game of most bills.
Sorry, but that is not true. BOTH houses of the US congress, the Senate and the House of Representatives are controlled by the REPUBLICANS. They have a narrow majority in the Senate (54 Republicans 44 Democrats and 2 Independents who caucus with the Democrats - so essentially a 54/46 majority). In the House they have a wide majority (246 to 188 with 1 vacant seat).

Other than that, I agree with the rest of your post!

And of course, I hope what you did state is right (in so far as the 2016 elections go). Hopefully the Democrats will capture the Senate in November. The House is almost an impossibility right now. But if Hillary wins in November (*keeps my fingers crossed*) and the Senate is in the hands of the Democrats that will be a very good thing indeed!

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
747-captain said:
Sorry, but that is not true. BOTH houses of the US congress, the Senate and the House of Representatives are controlled by the REPUBLICANS. They have a narrow majority in the Senate (54 Republicans 44 Democrats and 2 Independents who caucus with the Democrats - so essentially a 54/46 majority). In the House they have a wide majority (246 to 188 with 1 vacant seat).

Other than that, I agree with the rest of your post!

And of course, I hope what you did state is right (in so far as the 2016 elections go). Hopefully the Democrats will capture the Senate in November. The House is almost an impossibility right now. But if Hillary wins in November (*keeps my fingers crossed*) and the Senate is in the hands of the Democrats that will be a very good thing indeed!
Sometimes, I wonder if Canadian democracy and interests would be better served if MPs can freely vote their conscience, rather than strictly following party disciplines. In the US, even within one party itself, there are so many factions, and they all vote differently (i.e., you have blue-dog democrats, libertarian-leaning democrats, conservative democrats, tea-party, etc).

US Senators and House reps can point to their voting records while seeking re-election, whereas in Canada, you vote for the party rather than particular MPs within your constituency, since you can pretty much expect that they would (almost) always adopt their parties' official positions on issues.