+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tourist Visa for Spouse

caroline123

Aug 12, 2024
I am currently engaged to be married in December of this year and was looking to have my spouse come with me to Canada. I was told if he applies for a visa to come visit me it will most likely be denied. I was wondering if he applies as a tourist and gets the visa, can I then apply for sponsorship once he comes to Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
but wouldn't that be seen as misrepresentation?
Misrepresentation for what? Is partner applying before or after marriage. Before - apply as single. After - apply as married. Either way partner has to show ties to return, funds, travel history and valid reason to travel.

caroline123

Aug 12, 2024
Misrepresentation for what? Is partner applying before or after marriage. Before - apply as single. After - apply as married. Either way partner has to show ties to return, funds, travel history and valid reason to travel.
partner is applying before marriage as single. I was told he needs to inform the agent at the port of entry that he's now married or else it may be seen as misrepresentation. We were intending he doesn't mention he's married and then when he comes in, I can then file for inland sponsorship

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
partner is applying before marriage as single. I was told he needs to inform the agent at the port of entry that he's now married or else it may be seen as misrepresentation. We were intending he doesn't mention he's married and then when he comes in, I can then file for inland sponsorship
But if entering as single then he is not married. If entering Canada as married and asked then he cannot lie.

caroline123

Aug 12, 2024
But if entering as single then he is not married. If entering Canada as married and asked then he cannot lie.
Thanks. If asked he would have to state he's married. But if they don't ask, can he just say he is coming as a tourist? I'm worried they may say he wasn't being truthful since he didn't only come as a tourist but to visit me (now his wife) instead

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks. If asked he would have to state he's married. But if they don't ask, can he just say he is coming as a tourist? I'm worried they may say he wasn't being truthful since he didn't only come as a tourist but to visit me (now his wife) instead
Would start with seeing if he can get a TRV.