+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Top 10 Mistakes That Will Sink Your Immigration Application

gladiateur19

Aug 30, 2009
Hey Guys i would love to share this with you...hoping it helps people who are doing their applications and submitting it soon
it is a topic i found on some website

Posted on October 1st, 2012 in Canada Immigration Success
I’ve been practising law for over 13 years, and I’ve seen a lot of errors that lead to rejected applications, or long delays in processing. Below I’ve compiled the top 10 errors to avoid in submitting your application for Canadian permanent or temporary residence.
1. Not signing the forms
Sounds simple right? But it happens all the time. A form is not signed where the individual is required to sign. For example, the Additional Family Information form can require 3 signatures on one page. Often people will sign the bottom of this form, and miss the fact that 2 other signatures are also required depending on whether there is a spouse or children. Failing to sign this (or any other form) properly means a returned file weeks (or even months!) after it has been filed.
Another example is the (Generic??) form that has a section that requires signatures only if a translator was used. If there was no translator used and you mistakenly sign in this spot, your application will be sent back to you at some point in the future.
So triple-check your forms and sign where required (and only where required).
2. Paying the fee incorrectly
Different streams require different methods of payment. Typically, only a bank draft, certified cheque or money order will suffice.
However, a sponsorship application for permanent residence usually requires payment through the internet (or a bank paid receipt). For example, if you pay the Right of Permanent Residence fee by bank draft to the foreign visa office, it will likely be returned to you, delaying the file, as typically it is paid in Canada online.
Also, many visa offices will accept the equivalent fee in local currency, but you must check the specific website for that office to determine the amount of the fee in local currency – do not simply use the current exchange rate – it won’t be the same.
As well, be sure to pay the correct amount. For example, permanent resident applicants currently pay $550 per adult, but only $150 per dependent child. And the Right of Permanent Resident fee is currently zero for children. An incorrectly paid fee will delay your application or have it returned to you.
Be very careful how you pay your fees, and the amount you have to pay.
3. Correct size pictures
Application instructions require pictures with a very specific size (usually 35mm wide and 45mm tall, with the head image a maximum of 30mm tall, but check the CIC instructions for your specific application). Pictures have to be a certain size in order to fit on forms that CIC may send to you (such as medical forms for permanent resident applications, and as part of your visa documents).
Not paying attention to the correct size of picture will have your application returned to you.
4. Providing only those documents listed on the checklist
Sounds counter-intuitive right? Why not just provide what CIC asks for on their checklists? Because sometimes that documentation is not enough, and CIC will never help make your case for you.
For example, if you are a common law couple, I’ve found it is important to provide affidavits from friends and family attesting to the relationship and how it is exclusive, committed and marriage-like. As well, letters of support can also be effective in certain circumstances. For example, if a couple from overseas is planning to move to Canada under a sponsorship application, a letter (or affidavit) from a family member in Canada offering lodging while the couple establishes themselves in Canada can make an application go a lot smoother and a lot faster.
Additional evidence depends on the facts of each case, but phone records, bank records, lease records, correspondence, text messages, facebook messages, and so forth, can be very helpful in moving the application forward.
5. Supplemental forms for certain countries (afghanistan supervisa)
Residents or citizens of certain countries (depending upon where one is applying for immigration), are often required to provide additional forms or information which are not obvious from the initial forms.
One example is the Residency Questionnaire required by those in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Another example is the Education and Work Experience Questionnaire required by those in Islamabad, Pakistan.
You must be sure to include any supplemental information forms or risk having your application sent back to you or having serious delays in the decision-making process.
6. Providing mis-information or not explaining missing information – misrepresentation, returned file
Providing mis-information is an application is a serious offence is Canadian immigration law. As CIC relies on information provided by the applicant to make a decision on the file, it expects that the information provided be truthful.
The consequences of providing mis-information is a rejected application, and possible for exclusion from Canada for at least 2 years.
The difficulty is that even errors that appear to be innocent can be considered a misrepresentation which will certainly sink your application immediately.
If you are missing information that was requested by CIC, it is important to explain why the information is missing and when it might be provided. Otherwise, your application will be sent back to you.
7. Handwriting information on forms (illegible, can’t verify form)
All application forms can be completed using a computer and Adobe Reader (which is a free program).
However, some individuals may choose to complete the forms by hand, which is not advisable.
Hand-written forms may not be legible by the visa officer reviewing the file. As a result, the application will be returned if the visa officer is not absolutely certain about the answers provided to questions in the forms.
Equally important, hand-written forms can not be verified. A verified form (using Adobe Reader) creates a series of bar codes that CIC can quickly enter into its computer systems. A hand-written application form requires tedious transfer of information which may delay processing of the file in a timely manner.
The other general benefit of using a computer to complete the forms is that you can same them to your hard-drive and print the forms if needed in future, or update forms on the request of a visa officer. Updating forms is much easier when they are on a computer versus being hand-written.
8. Failing to provide a cover letter
Although never fatal to an application, failing to provide a cover letter may result in delays in processing.
A cover letter that sets out who is applying for what, and the main reasons why the applicant qualifies makes reviewing the application easier for the visa officer, which means faster processing in my experience.
I never submit an application without a detailed cover letter asserting the applicant’s right to immigrate under current law and policy.
9. Waiting for criminal record checks to file the application
Often times, applicants will wait for criminal record checks before filing an application.
This is often not advisable.
Unless the application is for a temporary resident permit or criminal rehabilitation, a criminal record check is not required to process the application. A criminal record check goes to admissibility, not to qualification for entry. As such, you can submit your application immediately, then submit the criminal record check when it comes weeks or months later.
What is the risk of waiting until the criminal record checks arrive before submitting an application?
Anyone who has followed the Canadian immigration system lately has seen the multitude of changes that have happened in a short period of time. If you wait too long to submit an application, the rules may (likely will) change and suddenly you may no longer qualify (this has happened a few times with regard to the Federal Skilled Worker category, where some years an occupation qualifies, then suddenly it does not).
10. Mailing the application
CIC asks you to mail the application to the appropriate office for processing. However, it is best to use registered mail, or even better, a courier. This allows you to track the application to ensure it arrives at its destination.
Mail can get lost and you may spend weeks or months wondering why CIC has not acknowledged receipt of your application (and they are always very slow in doing so), only to discover that it never arrived.
I hope you have found these 10 common mistakes useful, and if so, feel free to link to this post, tweet it or share it with your friends or family.
Nothing in this post constitutes legal advice – be sure to consult a lawyer with regard to your application and required forms and supporting documents.

Camelboy

Oct 21, 2012
Visa Office......
Nairobi
Galdiateur19, Thanks for sharing the article.

There is one point i never thought about which is the cover letter, it seems to be helpful.

gladiateur19

Aug 30, 2009
Camelboy said:
Galdiateur19, Thanks for sharing the article.

There is one point i never thought about which is the cover letter, it seems to be helpful.
you are welcome ;),,,yes a cover letter is good

NicAnn

Oct 9, 2012
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
March 24 2013
AOR Received.
April 17 2013
File Transfer...
April 22 2013
Med's Request
extended 1 yr
Med's Done....
Dec 15 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 10, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Jan 21, 2014
LANDED..........
Feb 2nd, 2014 EH! :-D
That is helpful you get a + :)

and a :-*

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
I just don't think I would be so bold as to "asserting the applicant's right to immigrate" . . . I certainly wouldn't make that choice of words.

Orangie

Jun 1, 2013
Hello Gladiator

Thank you for sharing this information; very helpful.
*** what is a cover letter? Could you please explain.
Thanks

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
very useful info

when rep included a cover letter..i was like there's no need... but he said the same what you said..

NicAnn

Oct 9, 2012
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
March 24 2013
AOR Received.
April 17 2013
File Transfer...
April 22 2013
Med's Request
extended 1 yr
Med's Done....
Dec 15 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 10, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Jan 21, 2014
LANDED..........
We submitted our application in March, and this check list reaffirms that we did it right, makes me feel reassured.

NicAnn

Oct 9, 2012
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
March 24 2013
AOR Received.
April 17 2013
File Transfer...
April 22 2013
Med's Request
extended 1 yr
Med's Done....
Dec 15 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 10, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Jan 21, 2014
LANDED..........
truesmile said:
I just don't think I would be so bold as to "asserting the applicant's right to immigrate" . . . I certainly wouldn't make that choice of words.
What we did with our cover-letter is introduce our situation to the CIC with a general overview what goes more into all the minutia in our application. Also we included a check list of our own that outlined all that our package contained and how many pages in each section, etc.

We asserted our desire for me to immigrate, without actually coming out and saying so directly, more indirectly with lots of other words that showed that to be my desire so I could be with my husband.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
#4 is important - I've noticed many common-law couples are asked for the Statue of Common-Law Declaration even if it isn't required on the checklist.

On the other hand, most cases should include police certificates. Not including them means you don't have a complete application and CIC cannot be bound to published processing times. There are some cases I would advise sending in the application anyway, but for most, they should wait.

gamyover

Apr 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-07-2013
Doc's Request.
8-11-2013
AOR Received.
10-08-2013 CPC-M, 8-11-2013 Mexico VO
File Transfer...
22-08-2013
Med's Done....
19-04-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2014
LANDED..........
16-04-2014
Thank you this is really helpful, I'm just getting to the final steps to finished my app and I never thought about some stuff, like that cover letter for example.

I post this before, but what worries me the most is that missrep thing, because I applied for TRV, which was denied but I said my bf was a family friend, the thing is we just met, we went out for three weeks (since I met him to he left) and yeah I considered him my bf, but I didn't know I would ended marrying him :-X, so I that point he was pretty much what I said he was. Anyway that worries me because I've read all over the forum, that even the most little thing can be taken as missrep ???

gladiateur19

Aug 30, 2009
Orangie said:
Hello Gladiator

Thanks
hi,,this is just an example of a cover letter...A lot of things written on that letter probably have nothing to do with your situation so as it states, write everything in your own words.
dom
_________________________________________________________________________________________
jjenglishmen@englismen.uk.com
+44 207 555 5555
18 July 2012
To British Consulate-General
Visa Section
10th Floor
845 3rd Avenue
New York, NY 10022
USA
Subj Julia Friedberg Englishman
US National DOB 7 August 1980
Ref Immigration rules, Paragraphs 277 - 289
S
To the Entry Clearance Officer:
I am pleased to sponsor Julia Englishmen’s application for settlement on the basis of marriage.
I am a British citizen and have been living i the UK continuously since my birth. I am employed as the Night
Shift supervisor at Ambridge Plumbing Services at an annual salary of GBP 98,000 per year and have held this
position since July 2006. Additionally, I supplement my income by managing a web site (Englishmen.uk.com).
I am divorced and have a 6 year-old daughter who lives with her mother. Julia was divorced in August 2007
and has a 3 year-old son for whom she has sole custody, and who is included in her application as a
dependent.
Following an internet prelude, Julia and I first met when she visited me for two weeks in March 2006. Since
then we have taken holiday together as a couple on several occasions; and on my last visit to the US, we were
married at a civil ceremony in Julia’s home town of Greenville, North Carolina.
I have referred extensively to your “Appendix FM-SE” and have attached all the evidence specified to meet the
financial requirements in Category A.
I own our intended marital home in Lancs. and have included the relevant listing from the Land Registry along
with a year’s worth of mortgage statements.
As evidence of on-going contact and intervening devotion, I have attached bank statements which show
remittances to Julia. I have also included evidence of holidays and visits together.
The other required supporting material will be provided by Julia. I hope you find these materials satisfactory
and can proceed with issuing Julia’s entry clearance upon receipt of her application and supporting materials.
Of course if you need further information, please let me know.
Kind regards,
John Jay Englishmen
(Inventory of evidence goes here)

sariss

Jan 18, 2011
Collingwood Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 13, 2012
AOR Received.
August 22, 2012
File Transfer...
August 22, 2012
Med's Done....
April 4, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
November 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
December 10, 2012
LANDED..........
December 12, 2012
Interesting. Never heard of the cover letter, that's something we didn't do. Thankfully we were processed in about 7 months!

gladiateur19

Aug 30, 2009
Orangie said:
Hello Gladiator

Thanks
Hi again,,i hope this could help you to understand better.

7 Essential Elements In a Sponsorship Cover Letter
Posted on March 7th, 2013 in Canada Immigration Success, Immigration - Canada
You’re going to apply under one of the Canadian immigration categories. You’ve collected the forms. You’ve reviewed our video tutorials (hopefully). You’ve also followed the CIC checklists and instructions, collected your evidence and supporting paperwork for your category.
Ready to submit, right?
Wrong.
You need a cover letter. Well, you don’t need one in the sense that it’s a required document, but it can sure help your application. A visa officer is a human being, and a cover letter that sets the stage for your application puts him or her in a better mood, as all the pertinent facts are summarized right at the beginning, so he or she knows how to approach the file.
More importantly, a cover letter lets you put your most compelling facts or evidence before the visa officer from the outset. It can make a positive impression on the officer, and hopefully that positive impression influences his or her review of your application.
But what do you put in a cover letter?
Here are the top XX things you should put in a cover letter. I’m going to use a sponsorship application for a married couple as an example in this post (I’ll cover other applications in future posts). These aren’t the only things (each cover letter is unique to an individual’s specific facts and exact category of immigration), but they are essential.
1) Names and dates
It’s a good idea to open your cover letter with the name of the sponsor (with “sponsor” after the name) and the principal applicant (with “sponsored spouse” after the name), including ages and birth dates. Include the category under which you are applying (“family class, spousal”) to immigrate, and the names, birth dates of any accompanying dependents. This way, the visa officer knows (for example), that this is a family of four, with a male Canadian sponsor and one minor child applying for sponsorship.
2) In-Canada or Out-of-Canada
There are two processes for sponsorship. Indicate if you are applying under the in-Canada or out-of-Canada stream. Each uses different forms, and has different evidentiary requirements.
3) Ask for an opportunity to address outstanding issues
As an element of procedural fairness in immigration law, it is often the case that applicants should have an opportunity to address concerns that visa officers may have. Politely reminding the visa officer of this fact is a good idea, and it puts it on the record.
4) Summary of period before the wedding
Although you’ve provided some of this information in your forms, it is good practise to summarize it in the cover letter as well. How did you meet? What did you do after meeting? What did your dating life look like? At what point did you get serious enough to consider marriage? Who proposed and when? How much time did you spend together before the wedding?
Why write all this information? You’re beginning to address the question of whether this is a genuine marriage or one made primarily for immigration purposes. The more detail you have, the better.
5) Summary of wedding
Again, even though this information is in the forms, summarize it in your letter as well. Where was it? Who attended? Religious or civil ceremony? Why?
You’re telling a story here that the visa officer can follow and understand. Visa officers who follow and understand are more likely to approve if all the evidence is in order.
6) What happened after the wedding?
So you got married, great. What happened next? If there was a honeymoon, describe it in detail. If not, then give a compelling reason why. Perhaps funds are tight, maybe one of you had to get back to work. Whatever the reason, be sure to say something about the absence of a honeymoon.
7) Where do you plan to live after permanent residence is approved?
Permanent residence is not granted if the visa officer believes that the couple won’t immediately live together in Canada after permanent residence is approved. So state that you plan to live at 123 Cherrywood Lane, Toronto, Ontario (or whatever your address is) as soon as permanent residence is approved.
This step is critically important for those couples living abroad, where a Canadian citizen is sponsoring his or her spouse and the sponsor does not reside in Canada. In this case, you need a pretty detailed plan detailing why you won’t stay in your home country, why you want to move to Canada, and your detailed plan to move to Canada. In fact, I often prepare affidavits and other evidence in this instance, as this is such a crucial part of the application.

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
We explained our relationship in a timeline can that be as good as a cover letter?