Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I may be missing something here but I don't know why you needed a visitor visa in the first place. CIC says among the people who don't need visitor visas to visit Canada are, "British citizens and British Overseas Citizens who are re-admissible to the United Kingdom," as well as, "British subjects who hold a passport issued by the United Kingdom and who have the “right of abode” there."

It's a form letter so it doesn't necessarily speak to your personal circumstances. You might want to carry documents that prove significant ties to your home country. You really need to get advice from someone who knows about this but I believe you would need to first get an authorization to travel to the U.S. under this system first: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?_flowExecutionKey=_cADA76364-8E96-7C38-D944-788DA18713BF_k5A141E50-B23C-435D-4B2D-56F7835822AE. Hopefully someone here can chime in with a more helpful answer.

editironce said:
I am a British Citizen married to a Canadian Citizen and we currently live in Toronto Canada.
I applied for Permanent Residence and my husband was approved to sponsor me.

I received my letter that says I have an interview scheduled in Buffalo, USA.
In the meantime, I have a Canadian Visitor Visa that says "THIS DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE-ENTRY".
I have a couple of questions:
1. My interview letter says "Prior to your departure from Canada, if that is where you are presently living, you must ensure that you can re-enter Canada as this office will not facilitate your return."
After my interview, how do I get back in Canada?

2. Can I re-schedule my interview to happen in Canada? If so, what is the procedure?

Your input is very much appreciated.
Thank You

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Any one know if you use the same Client ID from the visitor's extension on the application? Not sure if they stay the same or not? Hmm.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Client ID/UCI is the same on all of one's documents from CIC.
parker24 said:
Any one know if you use the same Client ID from the visitor's extension on the application? Not sure if they stay the same or not? Hmm.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
ddobro2 said:
Okay thank you! I'll have to make sure they are all on the correct sheets :)

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Forgot to mention that I'm very surprised they requested an interview as you're a UK citizen and that's rare. How much proof did you put in the application? You're doing an outland one through London?
editironce said:
I am a British Citizen married to a Canadian Citizen and we currently live in Toronto Canada.
I applied for Permanent Residence and my husband was approved to sponsor me.

I received my letter that says I have an interview scheduled in Buffalo, USA.
In the meantime, I have a Canadian Visitor Visa that says "THIS DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE-ENTRY".
I have a couple of questions:
1. My interview letter says "Prior to your departure from Canada, if that is where you are presently living, you must ensure that you can re-enter Canada as this office will not facilitate your return."
After my interview, how do I get back in Canada?

2. Can I re-schedule my interview to happen in Canada? If so, what is the procedure?

Your input is very much appreciated.
Thank You

NYQUE

May 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2011
AOR Received.
03-08-2011
File Transfer...
06-06-2011
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
25-04-2012
Passport Req..
25-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
25-04-2012
LANDED..........
25-04-2012
Hello, I believe the confusion is that she holds a VISITOR RECORD which is different from a VISITOR VISA, a visitor record you will normally get it when you apply to extend your status as a visitor after 6 months and indeed the document says that you cannot use it for re-entry to Canada, since I'm a national from a country which is not visa exempt, besides the need of a visitor visa to enter Canada, I now hold also a visitor record since I extended my initial stay as I am also awaiting the date of my interview in Buffalo.

My interview confirmation letter also states that since I'm in Canada, before departing to the US for my interview I have to ensure I will be able to return to Canada, in my case my visitor visa expires until 2013, so I hope I will not have any problems if after my interview I have to go back to Canada without a Permanent Residence visa as it might be the case.

I believe as a British national provided she had maintained a valid status, shouldn't have any problems in returning to Canada.

Out of Buffalo applicants I believe I am one of the longest that have had to wait for an interview since I see in this forum people who is called for an interview they get a date pretty close from the letter advising an interview is required, best of luck.

B.

ddobro2 said:
I may be missing something here but I don't know why you needed a visitor visa in the first place. CIC says among the people who don't need visitor visas to visit Canada are, "British citizens and British Overseas Citizens who are re-admissible to the United Kingdom," as well as, "British subjects who hold a passport issued by the United Kingdom and who have the “right of abode” there."

It's a form letter so it doesn't necessarily speak to your personal circumstances. You might want to carry documents that prove significant ties to your home country. You really need to get advice from someone who knows about this but I believe you would need to first get an authorization to travel to the U.S. under this system first: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?_flowExecutionKey=_cADA76364-8E96-7C38-D944-788DA18713BF_k5A141E50-B23C-435D-4B2D-56F7835822AE. Hopefully someone here can chime in with a more helpful answer.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the clarification. That could have been an error on her part - she did write that she has a "Canadian visitor visa." You definetely have had to wait for a while for your interview. I really don't know why they scheduled it months and months in advance. It's in mid-April right? Ah well, I guess the silver lining is you get to practice your answers to them a bit more.
NYQUE said:
Hello, I believe the confusion is that she holds a VISITOR RECORD which is different from a VISITOR VISA, a visitor record you will normally get it when you apply to extend your status as a visitor after 6 months and indeed the document says that you cannot use it for re-entry to Canada, since I'm a national from a country which is not visa exempt, besides the need of a visitor visa to enter Canada, I now hold also a visitor record since I extended my initial stay as I am also awaiting the date of my interview in Buffalo.

My interview confirmation letter also states that since I'm in Canada, before departing to the US for my interview I have to ensure I will be able to return to Canada, in my case my visitor visa expires until 2013, so I hope I will not have any problems if after my interview I have to go back to Canada without a Permanent Residence visa as it might be the case.

I believe as a British national provided she had maintained a valid status, shouldn't have any problems in returning to Canada.

Out of Buffalo applicants I believe I am one of the longest that have had to wait for an interview since I see in this forum people who is called for an interview they get a date pretty close from the letter advising an interview is required, best of luck.

B.

NYQUE

May 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2011
AOR Received.
03-08-2011
File Transfer...
06-06-2011
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
25-04-2012
Passport Req..
25-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
25-04-2012
LANDED..........
25-04-2012
Thanks ddobro2, I'm not really concerned about the interview itself, just the waiting time and the uncertainty, the interview is in April 25, I requested 1 last set of GCSM notes to see if something has changed, but I know already or at least from the notes what are their doubts so I am hoping that now me and my wife are together, we are renting a house and have tried as much as it is possible to combine our affairs since is not easy when you don't have a SIN or a defined status here.

Right now me and my wife are trying to determine the best way to go to Buffalo since from Montreal there are no direct flights (you have to go through Toronto I believe) so I guess we will drive, I'm still deciding if we should enter through the border between Montreal and Champlain (route 87) or go all the way to Toronto and enter there, I guess we will be leaving a day before get a nice hotel go to the interview and come back the same day.

I will start getting a new package with more proofs etc, but I still feel the date is far away.

B.

ddobro2 said:
Thanks for the clarification. That could have been an error on her part - she did write that she has a "Canadian visitor visa." You definetely have had to wait for a while for your interview. I really don't know why they scheduled it months and months in advance. It's in mid-April right? Ah well, I guess the silver lining is you get to practice your answers to them a bit more.

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NYQUE, you're not alone in waiting for the interview for so long. 'editironce' is in the same situation, as her interview is scheduled in May and she already got a letter advising it (not sure when she got it though). It's quite upsetting to see that if Buffalo requires an interview it might take up to a year!

Maple3

Star Member
Feb 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-06-2011 Recieved 16-6- 2011
AOR Received.
26-08-2011
File Transfer...
05-08-2011
Med's Done....
02-05-2011
Passport Req..
19-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2011
Could someone please help !
My husband was already issued a visa for PR but we have not landed yet . Tonight we are going to Toronto on the bus to see my sister who is in hospital. Will there be any problem at the border when he shows his passport with Visa stamp in it. Can we Visit without landing ???
Thanks !

moochops

Aug 13, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-06-2011
Doc's Request.
06-01-2012
AOR Received.
24-08-2011
File Transfer...
09-08-2011
Med's Request
new request 19-12-2012
Med's Done....
24-10-2010 / 16-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Maple I do believe you can visit without landing. you just inform the BSO that you are not landing (they may want to know why and so on).

I could be wrong but i'm sure people have done this before.

editironce

Mar 2, 2012
Thanks ddobro2
Sorry about the confusion i meant to say visitor record as i already been here in canada for 3 years.
I have no idea why they request it an interview for both me and my husband.
I was born in Albania and raised in Britain .
Im not doing an outland through london,As i said, I have been here in canada for almost 3 years
I send my application on May 2011,September 2011 my husband got approved to sponsor me,September 2011 my application was sent in buffalo,
Dec 2011 i received a letter saying an interview may be required,Feb 2012 i received my interview date for end of may

Has Anybody gone through the interview here?What do they ask? How long will it take ?In my letter it says be prepared to spend a full day in buffalo
Thank u to every one.
Eda

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
ddobro2 said:
Supposed to be the same. I've already learned that I have two UCI (one for my work permit a different one for my PR application.) I thought this peculiar, but apparently it can happen.

bbiery

Star Member
Aug 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-10-2011
Doc's Request.
5-3-2012
AOR Received.
20-12-2011
Med's Request
08-03-2012
Med's Done....
20-09-2011
Passport Req..
26-04-2012/Decision Made 14-05-2012
Woke up to an ecas tracker email. First update since AOR. States my application has been in process since Feb 29th. At least its something. :)